Is 450 watts enough for this build?

Gravemind
Go to solution Solved by Support,
8 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 100-B1-0500-KR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZ6R9GE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Bq9Uxb5W4ZESZ

8$ cheaper 50 more what's right here.

Used the Cooler Master calculator and it gives me a load wattage of 335, and a recommended wattage of 395.

This 450 watt unit by Corsair should be totally fine, right? I know it's always better to have more than I need. I'm fairly sure I'd get away just fine, but with something as crucial as this I figured I'd take a minute to ask.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

Yes it is enough, but if you do have that extra cash , get a 500-550 watts one if possible(future expansion in mind), if you're on a tight budget it's okay

Details separate people.

3 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

Used the Cooler Master calculator and it gives me a load wattage of 335, and a recommended wattage of 395.

This 450 watt unit by Corsair should be totally fine, right? I know it's always better to have more than I need. I'm fairly sure I'd get away just fine, but with something as crucial as this I figured I'd take a minute to ask.

I never recommend a CX series PSU.

Get a RMi 550

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Yea easy. I have a 2700K + 290X and it recommended me a 600W+ PSU. When I checked my Watt meter and I'm only drawing 450W-470W under load.

Just now, TheRandomness said:

What specs?

AMD FX 8300, with stock cooler most likely. If I upgrade it won't be anything monstrous.

Asus ROG RX 480 8gb

ASRock 970M Pro3 motherboard

8gb of DDR3 RAM

1 120mm fan
1 140mm fan

A couple old 5.4k laptop hard drives, possibly an SSD, mouse, keyboard and optical drive.

Please don't heckle me about any of my choices.

Also make sure you get a quality PSU. Out of all the PC parts PSU is one where you can't/shouldn't skim on quality. Only takes one short or brown out to fry your other components.

Make sure it's got a the full load of described on 12V rail. Look for CONTINUOUS POWER. Your PSU might say it's 450watt but that's at PEAK. It might deliver 380-450watts at times who knows. You want to make sure it's always pumping 450watt

EDIT* Want to make sure it can always deliver the described wattage

3 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Can you tell me why?

Also, once you cross the 500watt threshold, it gets disgustingly expensive, and 550 is way overkill even with the efficiency curve in mind.

4 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Get a RMi 550

The RM550i doesn't exist buddy. The RM650i also costs alot more.

The new Corsair CXs are fine. Stop with the 'CXs are bad' circlejerk.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, Gravemind said:

Can you tell me why?

Also, once you cross the 500watt threshold, it gets disgustingly expensive, and 550 is way overkill even with the efficiency curve in mind.

He's talking about the old green label one. The CX450M would be fine for that build but try for a Seasonic S12ii 520W. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, IskanderEXC said:

I would get something 500+ just to be safe, as you are cutting it close

It's already more than 100 watts over the full load though, and I'm not going to have it under a full load much if at all.

If possible get an EVGA one because the CXM series PSUs have given me some trouble in the past so my advice is go for an EVGA one because those are more reliable but if you have the budget get a better corsair one like and RMx 

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x; Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-Pro ; RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4 3200 MHz ; Storage: Corsair MP600 500GB, Kioxia 2TB M.2 ; Graphics Card: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra ; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE ; Case: Corsair 4000x White

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9310 i7-1185G7

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra

1 minute ago, Gravemind said:

It's already more than 100 watts over the full load though, and I'm not going to have it under a full load much if at all.

But what if you want to overclock, and what if you want to upgrade to something more power hungry? Upgrade path is key :P

Just now, IskanderEXC said:

But what if you want to overclock, and what if you want to upgrade to something more power hungry? Upgrade path is key :P

You do realise that overclocking will not consume that much power at all? As technology progresses, it simultaneously gets more energy efficient. Theoretically, you could run two 1080s on a 550W PSU if both are at stock clocks.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

You do realise that overclocking will not consume that much power at all? As technology progresses, it simultaneously gets more energy efficient. Theoretically, you could run two 1080s on a 550W PSU if both are at stock clocks.

When I OC my 4690k it goes up in wattage by 15-20%.

And yes it will get more power efficient, but what if our buddy here wants to add another card or something? Just for upgradability options.

Just now, IskanderEXC said:

When I OC my 4690k it goes up in wattage by 15-20%.

And yes it will get more power efficient, but what if our buddy here wants to add another card or something? Just for upgradability options.

Incase you didn't notice, that's a micro ATX board. It has no real room for expansion, and I'm not going to overclock anything ever. And an RX 480 8gb will keep me happy for like 7 years. I've been stuck with a Radeon 5850 for 8 years. I find something good and use it until it wears itself down the PCB.

11 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

AMD FX 8300, with stock cooler most likely. If I upgrade it won't be anything monstrous.

Asus ROG RX 480 8gb

ASRock 970M Pro3 motherboard

8gb of DDR3 RAM

1 120mm fan
1 140mm fan

A couple old 5.4k laptop hard drives, possibly an SSD, mouse, keyboard and optical drive.

Please don't heckle me about any of my choices.

Did rx 480 is it strix or no ? if so how did you get it  

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB HyperX RAM

CPU: R5 3600 

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Fatal1ty gaming K4

Incase you didn't notice, that's a micro ATX board. It has no real room for expansion, and I'm not going to overclock anything ever. And an RX 480 8gb will keep me happy for like 7 years. I've been stuck with a Radeon 5850 for 8 years. I find something good and use it until it wears itself down the PCB.

I mean if it floats your boat then get a 450w PSU, but I honestly would go for something nicer. Normally the more wattage the nicer the PSU is. Like full modularity, nice braided cables, etc. That is just my opinion though.

2 minutes ago, Support said:

Realize that those shitty thousand dollar plus PCs prebuilt you find in stores come with like 350w PSU LOL

My friend got some bigass blingy Alienware desktop with an i7 and two GTX 660's.

Ya know what PSU they gave him?

A 350 watt model.

Pre-built systems are absolutely disgusting with corner cutting.

Just now, Lolcrokn said:

Did rx 480 is it strix or no ? if so how did you get it  

Yep. Derp, it is. Here it is. I got it for only $250 today though by using Nowinstock.com.

Talk about a snipe.

Yep. Derp, it is. Here it is. I got it for only $250 today though by using Nowinstock.com.

Talk about a snipe.

Does it look insanely good because im looking for one once it comes to croatia ( not buying online bcs of huge shipping ) 

What case do you have if you have side panel to show off that rgb lightning?

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB HyperX RAM

CPU: R5 3600 

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Fatal1ty gaming K4