What to do with old computer

Sovek

Right now I have a Core i3 2100 with a GTX 460, 500GB HDD and 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM along with a HT Striker Sound Card  just sitting, not doing anything after my upgrade and I'm not sure what to do with it. As it stands the only thing it really needs is a fresh bit of thermal paste on the GPU (which is now all clean), re-install Windows 10, and its good as it was when I got it.... kinda.

I COULD try and part it out but I dunno how much any of this I could really get for it. The PSU I will not sell as its junk, but if I sold the system as is, it goes with it.

If I sell it as a whole system, what would be a fair price, and the question is, would anyone actually buy it.

NAS?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

NAS?

Meh, Its only got 4 SATA ports (though it does have room for an extra PCI-E X1 (2 with a single slot GPU) but even even my current computer can fit 2 more 3.5" drives and another drive on the M.2 slot, and right now I still have half my drive left even with all my anime on it.

Don't really need storage space.

Selling it isn't worth it, you could use it as a media server/NAS, especially if your motherboard supports the integrated gpu (less power draw and noise). I'd use linux for that rather than windows.

I wouldn't pay more than 150$ for the whole thing, but then again you might find someone who would.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would turn it into a testbench, just for the hell of it :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

17 minutes ago, Sovek said:

Right now I have a Core i3 2100 with a GTX 460, 500GB HDD and 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM along with a HT Striker Sound Card  just sitting, not doing anything after my upgrade and I'm not sure what to do with it. As it stands the only thing it really needs is a fresh bit of thermal paste on the GPU (which is now all clean), re-install Windows 10, and its good as it was when I got it.... kinda.

I COULD try and part it out but I dunno how much any of this I could really get for it. The PSU I will not sell as its junk, but if I sold the system as is, it goes with it.

If I sell it as a whole system, what would be a fair price, and the question is, would anyone actually buy it.

that computer is better than my most powerful desktop. im just going to go and cry :( 

Just now, Legolessed said:

that computer is better than my most powerful desktop. im just going to go and cry :( 

could always buy it off of me for a $100 plus shipping :P I have little use of it ATM.

Just now, Sovek said:

could always buy it off of me for a $100 plus shipping :P I have little use of it ATM.

shipping would cost a fortune with a whole computer

3 minutes ago, Sovek said:

not if you didn't include the case....

its okay. im currently looking at making an amd opteron rig or a xeon rig. the only part i would want is the gpu. it beats my gt 420 in performance

9 minutes ago, Sovek said:

Meh, Its only got 4 SATA ports *SNIP*

I don't get it, how is the number of SATA port related to the capacity of a PC to be a NAS???

My NAS is an old Dell with 3 SATA ports, I also use it as a VPN and torrent box, so it's not just for storage.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

If you don't already have one, you could turn it into an HTPC. That's what I did with my previous rig. I had to rebuild it into a new case though cause a full-ATX tower isn't exactly HTPC material.

12 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I don't get it, how is the number of SATA port related to the capacity of a PC to be a NAS???

My NAS is an old Dell with 3 SATA ports, I also use it as a VPN and torrent box, so it's not just for storage.

Torrent box is not a bad idea actually. Tend to watch alot of subbed anime soo.... yeah.

3 minutes ago, B16CXHatch said:

If you don't already have one, you could turn it into an HTPC. That's what I did with my previous rig. I had to rebuild it into a new case though cause a full-ATX tower isn't exactly HTPC material.

Thats what my current mini-ITX will be... as soon as I can afford a 40" or bigger TV

2 minutes ago, Sovek said:

Torrent box is not a bad idea actually. Tend to watch alot of subbed anime soo.... yeah.

I use OMV, but there are many other "NAS OS" and they all have torrent support.

I personally keep linux distros and abandonware on it (seeding), though since it's a complete PC instead of an "optimized" NAS box I keep it on a on/off schedule to make sure it doesn't raise my electricity bill too much! (it's basically off when I'm not home and also during most of the night).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

27 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Take it on a romantic date to the beach and then sleep with it. Then dump it the next day for being such an easy slut.

Linus is my fetish.