7970 and 7950 crossfire

I have a 7950 and am looking at crossfiring. I've heard you can crossfire with a 7970, but can't find any benchmarks anywhere.

So i'm wondering does anyone here have any idea what kind of performance increase i would get crossfiring the 7950 with the 7970 compared to two 7950s. Is it worth the extra bit of money to go with the 7970 or should i just go with a second 7950?

Thanks everyone

PC Specs:

i5 3570k oc'd to 4.5 Ghz

msi Twinfrozer radeon 7950

8 gb hyperx blue

750 watt psu 

2 tb seaggate barracuda

250 gb samsung 840 evo (coming soon)

I don't think there will be any performance increase because when you X fire the two cards the fastest card will be clocked down to the exact specs of the other card.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

You can, but the performance benefit is negagible over two 7950s since the 7970 has to scale back to 7950 speeds. I think.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I don't think there will be any performance increase because when you X fire the two cards the fastest card will be clocked down to the exact specs of the other card.

Are you sure? From what i've read they don't down clock at all.

Are you sure? From what i've read they don't down clock at all.

Where'd you read it at? I've always thought that the higher end card clocks down to the lower end cards so basically you'd end up with two 7950s. http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11196-19-20G/dp/B00CPLI74S/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381550835&sr=1-6&keywords=radeon+7950 buying that would be your best option if you want to crossfire

Both graphics card would have to perform at the same level, or else there would be serious crossfire synchronization issues. If you crossfire a 7970 with a 7950, the 7970 will not be optimized for use of its full capability because it has to allow the 7950 to "catch up" with every single frame.

Let's pretend you and Usain Bolt are running the 100m dash as partners and taking your average time (sum of Usain Bolt's and yours, divided by 2) as your final time. The rule is, you cannot be separated from each other by 5m or you will be disqualified. In real life, this means the frames cannot be produced at uneven intervals or else the game will look very stuttery and be rendered useless, if you're lucky enough for it not to crash. Because these are the rules, obviously Usain Bolt will slow down to your speed so that the distance between the two of you are within 5m. The same goes for the 7970. It will slow down to the capabilities of the 7950 so that they synchronize better to limit micro stuttering and other crossfire issues.

Both graphics card would have to perform at the same level, or else there would be serious crossfire synchronization issues. If you crossfire a 7970 with a 7950, the 7970 will not be optimized for use of its full capability because it has to allow the 7950 to "catch up" with every single frame.

Let's pretend you and Usain Bolt are running the 100m dash as partners and taking your average time (sum of Usain Bolt's and yours, divided by 2) as your final time. The rule is, you cannot be separated from each other by 5m or you will be disqualified. In real life, this means the frames cannot be produced at uneven intervals or else the game will look very stuttery and be rendered useless, if you're lucky enough for it not to crash. Because these are the rules, obviously Usain Bolt will slow down to your speed so that the distance between the two of you are within 5m. The same goes for the 7970. It will slow down to the capabilities of the 7950 so that they synchronize better to limit micro stuttering and other crossfire issues.

Love the analogy :D

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I have a 7950 and am looking at crossfiring. I've heard you can crossfire with a 7970, but can't find any benchmarks anywhere.

So i'm wondering does anyone here have any idea what kind of performance increase i would get crossfiring the 7950 with the 7970 compared to two 7950s. Is it worth the extra bit of money to go with the 7970 or should i just go with a second 7950?

Thanks everyone

PC Specs:

i5 3570k oc'd to 4.5 Ghz

msi Twinfrozer radeon 7950

8 gb hyperx blue

750 watt psu 

2 tb seaggate barracuda

250 gb samsung 840 evo (coming soon)

If i had a 120mhz monitor I could borrow the 7950 from my sis and pair it with my 7970 from my other rig and see if there is microstuttering. 

But what i really think would happen is that the 7970 will not work as hard as the 7950 so their loads will be different, maybe.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

Your best bet would be just to get another 7950 . You won't gain anything by getting a 7970 , it will clock itself down . 

As stated by many others the 7970 would scale down - not only in clock speed because the 7970 outpeforms the 7950 at the same Hertz .

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Please stop saying nonsense, THE 7970 DOES NOT SCALE DOWN, it renders the frames quicker and then waits for the 7950 to finish. Anyone who has two different cards in crossfire and opened a monitoring program like msi afterburner will tell you that. However, some people with such setups also claim to have microstuttering, so I wouldn't risk it.

sources: overclocker.net and other forums like tom's hardware

Please stop saying nonsense, THE 7970 DOES NOT SCALE DOWN, it renders the frames quicker and then waits for the 7950 to finish. Anyone who has two different cards in crossfire and opened a monitoring program like msi afterburner will tell you that. However, some people with such setups also claim to have microstuttering, so I wouldn't risk it.

sources: overclocker.net and other forums like tom's hardware

The first response in the post you linked to says 

If you put two different cards of the same series in crossfireX/SLi, the faster card will perform like the slower one. So basically it's more like 2x(the slower one).

The first response in the post you linked to says 

Because it's the first post that is always right..

Scroll down and read the replies from Fantasy and Ken1649.