Why do batteries die

adithyay328

Hello there! So, a question that I have is why do batteries die. Now, I know it's that they have a max lifespan and have to be taken care of, but what causes them to die, chemically speaking. If someone could answer this for me, that would be awesome. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

Hello there! So, a question that I have is why do batteries die. Now, I know it's that they have a max lifespan and have to be taken care of, but what causes them to die, chemically speaking. If someone could answer this for me, that would be awesome. Thanks!

the discharge and recharge process over time causes unintended chemical reactions which lower the performance of the battery with every use.

A battery contains both a cathode and an anode, which give you your voltage. In a closed circuit, electrons flow from the anode to the cathode as a result of a chemical reaction. The electrons are present due to a chemical reaction, which also changes the materials in the battery over time until there's not enough voltage left for the battery to be usable anymore.

Non-rechargeable batteries aren't "charged" like rechargeable batteries and have full or near-full capacity when you get them. While they typically have a bigger capacity over an equivalent rechargeable battery, once they die, they have to be replaced.

In rechargeable batteries, this chemical reaction can be reversed multiple times by applying energy, but the battery can still age due to other factors, such as corrosion and other chemical reactions such as oxidation that can reduce the usefulness of the battery.

I hope this help answers your question.

46 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

Chemically speaking, the battery can be denoted as a simple galvanic cell with two compartments containing the oxidant and reductant bridged by a conductive electrolyte. When the two sides are connected by a wire/voltmeter, the energy of the redox reaction between the two compartments can be transmitted as electricity. This higher affinity of electrons on one side causes electronic potential and causes flow of electrons.

Anything that can break the circuit will reduce the lifespan of the battery

-loss of oxidant

-loss of reductant

-loss of electrolyte bridge

-break in circuit

Powerhouse: i7 5960X, RVE, 64GB 2400Mhz DDR4, GTX 1080ti SLI, Intel 750 400GB boot, 850 EVO 1tb storage, AX1500i

proto-Powerhouse: i7 3930K, RIVE, 32GB 2133 DDR3, GTX 980ti SLI, 850 EVO 1tb boot, barracuda 4 tb storage, HX850i  ded RIP

Work in progress: Powerzen: R7 1700, X370 Taichi, 32GB, gtx 1050ti (temporary), 850 evo 1tb, Hx 850i

Unraid NAS Server: i7 5820k, X99E-mitx, 32GB 2133 DDR4, THE MIGHTY GT 710 (WITH GOLD PLATED HDMI!!!!!), 3x 10 tb drives, 250 gb ssd cache, Antec 550W PSU, Node 304

Early 2015 Macbook Retina pro 13"

Many factors.

At what level does the battery charge to, and what it discharges too.

Heat and cold affect it too.

How many cycles it goes through.

I had some LiPo from HobbyKing I bought. Used it on an electric bicycle, had a 3000W nominal motor from MXUS corp in China, and  Lyen controller 18 fet. Anyway I babysat the charging process as I rode earlier and drained the batteries pretty low to low voltage cutoff of controller.

I slowly charged them up and I heard pop pop pop. I ran upstairs and threw it on the balcony glass table when the fireworks started. I lost 4 5Ah LiPo hardcases. I was lucky. There are stories of cell phone batteries doing the same. Airplanes being lost due to batteries. Homes being burnt down. Those 2 wheel stand up electric thingys, burn up too.