Minimum possible specs for bigadv

And a motherboard or anything else you want to recommend

@Whaler_99

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Read this....

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1749898&highlight=

Has some of the mins on chips - most any 6000 series will be good. 

Basically, find the chips you can get - then get a motherboard that supports them - typically getting the chips is the hard part. Next hard part - getting the ram. Most of these need 8 or 16 sticks of memory which can get pricey.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

If it was pulled from a working environment, then it should have the latest flash. Do you mean to upgrade the processors?

Also, is there a site where the details of BigAdv are fleshed out pretty well?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

yes 

If it was pulled from a working environment, then it should have the latest flash. Do you mean to upgrade the processors?

yes the processors it comes with AMD Opteron 8216 those are dual core cpus you can add opteron 8431 which are hexa core cpus According to hardforum and Qinsp the motherboard requires a bios flash to support them though.

Not always, it might have just been used and never touched since the initial install. That one is similar to the one I bought, and it required a flash update.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Read this....

Basically, find the chips you can get - then get a motherboard that supports them - typically getting the chips is the hard part. Next hard part - getting the ram. Most of these need 8 or 16 sticks of memory which can get pricey.

Would 4 of these be good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-OPTERON-ZS182045TC443-1-8GHZ-16MB-12-CORE-ES-PROCESSOR-/360647625966?pt=CPUs&hash=item53f8460cee

!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Read the main print:

PLEASE NOTE: This processor is an Engineering Sample and is not the final retail version of the processor. It may or may not run exactly alike the retail version and may have some compatibility issues with certain motherboards. It is the buyer's responsibility to determine compatibility prior to purchase, as there is no way I can know every system that this is and is not compatible with!!!

Dealing with ES units can be tricky, because you don't know if they are work, exactly alike. Typically they are ok, but not always. Second, as far as I know, an ES unit is still property of AMD/Intel and can actually be illegal to resale them. The other issue, I cannot find out what exact model they are equivalent to. Those ES part numbers are working numbers and not the final name, like a 6172, 8386, etc. I am not even sure what those are. :)  It is a G34 chip, but other then that... it is one of those thing, buy 4 and risk it? :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Read this....

Can I run only 2 processors in a 4P board

Can I run only 2 processors in a 4P board

Yes, typical a 4P board can run one, two or four CPU's.

Yes, typical a 4P board can run one, two or four CPU's.

Are there any closed cases that will support a 4p motherboard?

i'm looking at the same one... haha, untill I found a better one... with 64 gigs of ddr2. slightly different model, with no pcie. although, I would probably want one with pcie, so I can stick a cap card on, and use it to encode my streaming at absolutely insane quality

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC

Are there any closed cases that will support a 4p motherboard?

Yes, both supermicro and tyan make cases that will fit there - you need a case that supports, normally, the SWTX form factor. I think a few others, like Rosewill and Norco may also make some, never really checked theirs...

Reason why most people run 4P boards naked? Cheap. :) Those supermicro and tyan cases can be expensive and most need their custom PSU's. Also, a 2U server with a bunch of 80mm Delta's can get pretty bloody loud. Look at mine setup - 2 folders, on open format cases, with 120mm cpu fans and a couple of 140mm each on the front to blow air across the unit, they are actually pretty quiet...

The case I got some @Spotswood and are very reasonably priced.