Some confusion about Freesync

Gravemind

I've been told, and read countless times that AMD' Freesync only works over Display Port, yet I keep seeing monitors that "support Freesync" but they usually only ever have DVI and HDMI.

Is Freesync supported over HDMI now? Or are monitor companies just straight up lying?

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

AMD FreeSync™ Over HDMI®

Since March of 2015, Radeon™ graphics and AMD FreeSync™ technology have used DisplayPort™ to enable smooth gaming on over 40 compatible monitors. In 2016, AMD aims to make smooth PC gaming even more accessible with a unique extension that enables AMD FreeSync™ over HDMI®. Through close technical collaboration with Acer, LG, and Samsung, a growing range of new monitors are already compatible with FreeSync™ over HDMI®. See Monitors tab below.  

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

AMD FreeSync™ Over HDMI®

Since March of 2015, Radeon™ graphics and AMD FreeSync™ technology have used DisplayPort™ to enable smooth gaming on over 40 compatible monitors. In 2016, AMD aims to make smooth PC gaming even more accessible with a unique extension that enables AMD FreeSync™ over HDMI®. Through close technical collaboration with Acer, LG, and Samsung, a growing range of new monitors are already compatible with FreeSync™ over HDMI®. See Monitors tab below.  

Ah, so I've just been seeing outdated information. Thanks a ton. I'm finding loads of screens that support Freesync, but so few of those support DisplayPort.

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Gravemind said:

Ah, so I've just been seeing outdated information. Thanks a ton. I'm finding loads of screens that support Freesync, but so few of those support DisplayPort.

Thanks again.

Still check the reviews just to be sure since sometimes places like newegg and amazon post incorrect info

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Still check the reviews just to be sure since sometimes places like newegg and amazon post incorrect info

Oh absolutely. I've been steering away from Amazon because of their tendency to show almost no specs whatsoever, and the problem of too many reviews by people who don't know what they're talking about.

On a side note, any HDMI cable will work with any generation of HDMI. right? I've got one that's like 6 years old, and I'd hate to buy a new one just for Freesync goodness. I've seen in Linus' video that HDMI cables don't need to be upgraded as HDMI improves.

4 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

Oh absolutely. I've been steering away from Amazon because of their tendency to show almost no specs whatsoever, and the problem of too many reviews by people who don't know what they're talking about.

On a side note, any HDMI cable will work with any generation of HDMI. right? I've got one that's like 6 years old, and I'd hate to buy a new one just for Freesync goodness. I've seen in Linus' video that HDMI cables don't need to be upgraded as HDMI improves.

Well the new hdmi ports should accept old cables however I don't know if the cables have undergone any changes that matter or not, but if you needed a new cable you could get one for pretty cheap since as you said the expensive ones are BS so I wouldn't worry about it unless you encounter a problem.

Well the new hdmi ports should accept old cables however I don't know if the cables have undergone any changes that matter or not, but if you needed a new cable you could get one for pretty cheap since as you said the expensive ones are BS so I wouldn't worry about it unless you encounter a problem.

Yeah I actually got a 10ft, red and black steel braided HDMI cable for $4.99 from a dollar store back in the day. Which is seriously badass. I hope I can use it because it'd go with my AMD build very nicely.

Just now, Gravemind said:

Yeah I actually got a 10ft, red and black steel braided HDMI cable for $4.99 from a dollar store back in the day. Which is seriously badass. I hope I can use it because it'd go with my AMD build very nicely.

Like I said you should be fine but if there is an issue with it at least it's a cheap fix, I think it would work jut fine but I'm not sure how amd used hdmi for freesync that's the only reason why I'm not sure if I can outright say yes there will be no issue

But I'd put the odds at 95% chance of no problems, so as I said don't worry about it.