How is this photo?

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Flash photography helps freeze the movement of the bee.

when there's no other option though, right? If there was enough natural (or even studio) light to do it at like 1/2000 without a flash, I'm betting that would look better

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, ALwin said:

yes but all he had was the flash on the camera some people have to start with the minimal not everyone has off camera flashes and light boxes if he has a old camera that has to use a hard flash to take the photo it still looks nice. Its better then most people that just take macro photos of flowers. it would have been better if he had a nice camera with off camera flashes but it still looks like a nice photo. even tho all he had was a on camera flash.

Needs Update

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

when there's no other option though, right? If there was enough natural (or even studio) light to do it at like 1/2000 without a flash, I'm betting that would look better

Yes, that's why i am saying its still a nice photo giving what he had. 

Needs Update

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Nope, while a fast shutter speed does capture a very short moment, a flash or strobe is still the way to go.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

4 minutes ago, clementk said:

yes but all he had was the flash on the camera some people have to start with the minimal not everyone has off camera flashes and light boxes if he has a old camera that has to use a hard flash to take the photo it still looks nice. Its better then most people that just take macro photos of flowers. it would have been better if he had a nice camera with off camera flashes but it still looks like a nice photo. even tho all he had was a on camera flash.

As I said, the OP needs to become a better photographer.  New or better gear doesn't help at all if the photographer is still shit.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

Nope, while a fast shutter speed does capture a very short moment, a flash or strobe is still the way to go.

hm, I would never have thought to do that, especially since at least on our camera the flash won't sync above 1/60 or 1/250... not what I'd call speedy :P

I assume professional external ones are faster though

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

hm, I would never have thought to do that, especially since at least on our camera the flash won't sync above 1/60 or 1/250... not what I'd call speedy :P

I assume professional external ones are faster though

There are ways around the sync speed limit.  With my Nikon speed lights I can use FP mode.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/article/huceaq1c/using-auto-fp-high-speed-sync-to-illuminate-fast-sports-action.html

Also, I like to play around with different curtain sync modes.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

since at least on our camera the flash won't sync above 1/60 or 1/250.

In addition, certain remote triggers offer high speed sync.  Makes it nice for using strobes.

26 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Maybe this is the time to say I would take better photos if I had a newer camera 

4 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Maybe this is the time to say I would take better photos if I had a newer camera 

This is by far the worst thing you could think.  Remember, Pulitzer winning photos were taken before your camera even existed.  Good photos come from composition rather than technical skill or any advance in technology.  A complete amateur can take a perfect photo with a disposable camera if the moment is right.  You don't NEED anything other than a capture device and a lens.    

5 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

I have nothing against you buying a D7200 to replace your D70, but you need to have the mentality that you are buying the camera only to help you.  It's still important to learn how to be a better photographer.  For example, if you have no experience with flash photography with a D70, do you honestly think a D7200 will automatically help you become a better flash photographer?

Repete this in your head at every photo...

Focus, Expose, Compose, Wait for the moment.

Anyone can do the first two... You can be taught composition. Most people forget the last part.

28 minutes ago, Evanair said:

This is by far the worst thing you could think.  Remember, Pulitzer winning photos were taken before your camera even existed.  Good photos come from composition rather than technical skill or any advance in technology.  A complete amateur can take a perfect photo with a disposable camera if the moment is right.  You don't NEED anything other than a capture device and a lens.    

There was a nice article a few days ago about taking photos with a 15 year old camera.  Still capable of producing great images in the hands of someone who knows their stuff.

http://petapixel.com/2016/08/20/photo-challenge-using-15-year-old-dslr-modern-day-portrait-shoot/

One of the offices I work at still uses Nikon D2's, if the official photographer and I are too busy or away to take photos, the third guy who backs us up uses those cameras.

37 minutes ago, Evanair said:

In addition, certain remote triggers offer high speed sync.  Makes it nice for using strobes.

PocketWizards... sure they may be pricey (and there are cheap competitors like Phottix), I swear by PocketWizards.  One time I had to take photos in a location that had very crap lighting and I didn't want to use an on-camera speedlight, I put a couple of lightstands in the room, mounted a SB910 on each with a PocketWizard, controller on the camera and it was perfect.

33 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

A camera is to a photographer as a paintbrush is to an artist.  However both the camera and paintbrush are just tools.  The real masterpiece is created by the organ in your head and the organ in your chest.  The brain does the analyzing (is the lighting right, should I crouch for a lower angle, what setting should I use) and the heart feels the moment (that's the smile I want to capture, that light from the sunset bringing out the colors in the landscape is just right, that single tree in the middle of nowhere is making a statement).

PS: I know I've recommended a few books to a few beginner photographers here, but I think I should also recommend that they subscribe to a few photography oriented magazines, at least for their first year or so.  They can be quite helpful in teaching beginners to look at various ways of capturing a moment.  Ignore the articles that review or advertise gear, focus on the "interest" stories.