How is this photo?

Beautiful! 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

This seems studio lit(am i right?)

Id put the bee in focus if i was in charge, but that can be hard for macro shots with moving subjects.

Id probably have a plan black backgroup to have the subject pop a big more.

Id also use a flower that looks a bit better, this one seems a little dead or dying.

Capturing that exact moment is pretty cool, especially the way those things move around so much :D

Not that this is a criticism, but personally I generally really hate the look of pictures where it's obvious that the single on-camera flash was the sole source of light.  Not for some convoluted reason or anything... I just really don't like the look of them.  And this has that look ... but like I said, not a criticism, just had to get that off my chest :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This seems studio lit(am i right?)

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not that this is a criticism, but personally I generally really hate the look of pictures where it's obvious that the single on-camera flash was the sole source of light.  Not for some convoluted reason or anything... I just really don't like the look of them.  And this has that look ... but like I said, not a criticism, just had to get that off my chest :P

so im using a nikon d70 from 2004 and it does not have high enough iso to get  a fast enough shutter speed so i had to use a flash. besides that and a poor flower does it look ok?

Just now, DominicNikon said:

so im using a nikon d70 from 2004 and it does not have high enough iso to get  a fast enough shutter speed so i had to use a flash. besides that and a poor flower does it look ok?

I'm inclined to say that from an art perspective, it's a fantastic picture, which is what you should be striving for :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Parts of the flower seem to be a little bit over exposed in my opinion.

cool but there is to much direct light for my taste, otherwise its awesome

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

18 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

yes, if you couldent get away without using that bright a flash then this is a pretty awesome photo IMO, i dont mind that the flower is a bit damaged and stuff, that just adds to the picture IMO

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes, if you couldent get away without using that bright a flash then this is a pretty awesome photo IMO, i dont mind that the flower is a bit damaged and stuff, that just adds to the picture IMO

im getting a d7100 for christmas and that will solve iso issues 

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

im getting a d7100 for christmas and that will solve iso issues 

cool, i have litteraly no idea what that means exept that it will solve some issues for you because i dont do photography, i just like watching pictures and stuff :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

how is this photo?

DSC_5838.jpg

The question is "what do you, as the person who captured and edited this photo, feel is wrong with it?"

To me, the biggest problem is that the flower is over exposed.  Composition is OK, just OK.  Capturing the moment that a fast flying insect such as a been approaching a flower is not an easy thing to do and it's a hit or miss shot.  But I wouldn't give this photo more than 2/10.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 hour ago, ALwin said:

The question is "what do you, as the person who captured and edited this photo, feel is wrong with it?"

To me, the biggest problem is that the flower is over exposed.  Composition is OK, just OK.  Capturing the moment that a fast flying insect such as a been approaching a flower is not an easy thing to do and it's a hit or miss shot.  But I wouldn't give this photo more than 2/10.

if i didn't use a flash would it of been better?

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

if i didn't use a flash would it of been better?

You used the on-camera flash instead of a larger flash unit?  A separate flash unit might have been more helpful, not only to freeze the action but also because you have better control of the light on an external flash unit.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

9 minutes ago, ALwin said:

You used the on-camera flash instead of a larger flash unit?  A separate flash unit might have been more helpful, not only to freeze the action but also because you have better control of the light on an external flash unit.

i used on camera but i also have a external flash, how do you control the lighting better?

6 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

i used on camera but i also have a external flash, how do you control the lighting better?

An external unit allows you to better adjust the intensity of the light and the angle for bounce.

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

An external unit allows you to better adjust the intensity of the light and the angle for bounce.

so if i didnt use a flash it would be 8/10 like the butterfly? 

4 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

You probably wouldn't be able to freeze the action of the bee.

I can't say what I would rate for a photo "that might have been", I can only rate a photo "that is".

On 8/21/2016 at 3:59 PM, DominicNikon said:

is the photo shot in RAW ? if it is you can use something like lightroom and adjust the light on the flower and the bee to get it a bit better but the Photo looks great the focus would have been better on the bee but i get you where shooting at a low Aperture so would be harder to know where the be would be when you take the shot. 

Needs Update

40 minutes ago, clementk said:

is the photo shot in RAW ? if it is you can use something like lightroom and adjust the light on the flower and the bee to get it a bit better but the Photo looks great the focus would have been better on the bee but i get you where shooting at a low Aperture so would be harder to know where the be would be when you take the shot. 

yes its raw and i have light room so how should i adjust the light?

48 minutes ago, clementk said:

is this less white?

DSC_5838.jpg

1 hour ago, DominicNikon said:

is this less white?

DSC_5838.jpg

yeah it looks better :) but it will look beter if you get a better camera later.

Needs Update

1 minute ago, clementk said:

yeah it looks better :) but it will look beter if you get a better camera later.

No, the OP needs to become a better photographer, and a better photo editor.

Just now, ALwin said:

No, the OP needs to become a better photographer, and a better photo editor.

did you read what he said ? he said he had to use a flash because the camera looked bad at High ISO if he did not use the Flash it would look much better .

Needs Update

8 minutes ago, clementk said:

did you read what he said ? he said he had to use a flash because the camera looked bad at High ISO if he did not use the Flash it would look much better .

Flash photography helps freeze the movement of the bee.