Computing Recomendations for Grandparent

Hey Guys (and gals),

I am in need of some advice here. I am embarking on the futile journey of upgrading my grandparents PC with something a little less commodore 64 than their current setup. Ideally, I would love it if they needed minimal coaching during this transition, but I know this is an unrealistic expectation (thank God for Teamviewer). But, back to the point. I would like to have this ready for them in the next week and don't really have time for a ton of research. So, does anyone have suggestions for a low cost option that works well in this population? They only use the PC for email, internet browsing, and paying bills. There will be no games, video streaming, or even facebook (I've tried...). I have seen things like the intel compute stick, but am not sure how well these actually work and how much maintenance they actually require. I did broach the topic of getting them a laptop, and they are having absolutely none of that.

As always, Thanks!

Do you have time to build one?

If so what is the preference size? Nettop is a small computer packed in a box if you want something compact. Or a regular desktop.

chomebook/chrombox? super easy minimal maintenance other than a restart to install updates.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Building one would be a stretch, since I am in med school and have exams at the end of next week. The reason I have the one week time frame is because I am going home after finals.

Just now, vorticalbox said:

chomebook/chrombox? super easy minimal maintenance other than a restart to install updates.

i second this idea. my grandmother is using my old chromebook and absolutely loves the simplicity!

Just now, vorticalbox said:

I was originally thinking something with Windows 7 so the OS change is less shocking. (I'm guessing they are on something XP or older right now) But this is a great idea. It will blur the line between OS and web and since they seem to only use the computer for internet access it might make things easier. Turn on pc, click internet button, go places. That's about how I'd guess it would go.

I had not thought about the chromebox. Looking up the specs now. Thanks!

I also had only looked for windows systems (I believe they still have windows 2000, actually)... I know.. its sad :-(.

2 minutes ago, AdmnPower said:

I was originally thinking something with Windows 7 so the OS change is less shocking. (I'm guessing they are on something XP or older right now) But this is a great idea. It will blur the line between OS and web and since they seem to only use the computer for internet access it might make things easier. Turn on pc, click internet button, go places. That's about how I'd guess it would go.

pretty much. just add a chrome link to the task bar, it's normally there by defaults and it opens up whatever home page is set. They would need a google account but other than that jobs a good un

1 minute ago, swyld said:

I had not thought about the chromebox. Looking up the specs now. Thanks!

I also had only looked for windows systems (I believe they still have windows 2000, actually)... I know.. its sad :-(.

yeah people forget about chromeOS and is a very good system for just using the web, emails, social media and youtube. You get great battery life on the laptops and low power consumption on the boxs. I got one for college 2 years ago so i could write up reports and what not.

Maybe an all in one so your grandparent doesn't have to worry about cables?