3.5 mm Headset Won't fit??? Any advice? (not 2.5mm!)

DatScrubBoi

My Acer Aspire R7 laptop has a combo 4-pole 3.5mm headset jack, and I have never been able to get any audio cable to fit. I got it 2 years ago and noticed that my 3-pole 3.5mm headphones didn't want to fit, like, it barely goes in at all... b ut I don't use that computer much so I never needed to use headphones that badly.

Recently I got a 4-pole 3.5mm headset and it turns out that didn't fit either...

I bought a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter aaaand... it doesn't fit, the port is too big and it just jiggles around inside.

So the hole is too small for a 3.5mm cable, and too big for a 2.5mm cable...

I've pushed pretty hard (not hard enough to break anything) and no dice.

I do NOT want to use an external sound card, mainly because most of them sound terrible or are overpriced.

It's too late to take it back to the store.

I just wanted to know if there's anything I can do that might help or if anyone else has had this problem.

Thank you for your time.

true, but what if my headphone plug breaks ;_; or some part of the usb hub or mobo breaks with the 3.mm port? D:

Maybe for some reason the port is defective or there is the tip of an old jack stuck in there if it broke off.

But you can't use it anyway, so you may as well try to push harder. Sometimes it's really stiff if you haven't used it before and after forcing it in one time it gets easier.

This is probably one of the most wrong-sounding posts I have ever written, but trust me, just try to push harder.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Super glue it,first you put super glue in the jack,then just stick the headphone cable and there you go...

Just now, rrubberr said:

Is it one of the Apple type ones with four segments instead of three?

you mean a 4-pole jack? yeah

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Maybe for some reason the port is defective or there is the tip of an old jack stuck in there if it broke off.

But you can't use it anyway, so you may as well try to push harder. Sometimes it's really stiff if you haven't used it before and after forcing it in one time it gets easier.

This is probably one of the most wrong-sounding posts I have ever written, but trust me, just try to push harder.

I don't know why there would be unless it happened at the factory, I got it new and I've never had something break in it

just thinking about it, the 2.5mm adapter doesn't even go in all the way, like there's something blocking the inside of the port, does anyone know if you can take apart the port without desoldering it?

Is it a SPDIF combo jack? Sometimes those don't fit normal 3.5mm plugs as well.

I'm not sure but I doubt it, the port just has a normal headset logo beside it, and there is NO documentation anywhere on this laptop. The spec sheet on Acer's site and everywhere else doesn't even list the jack.

19 minutes ago, skylerskinner said:

does anyone know if you can take apart the port without desoldering it?

Probably not. The back of the jack is most often solid. So even if you gain access to the jack from behind, there's no hole that you could push the stuck piece out though. This, I believe is, similar to your motherboard

Hey guys, thanks for the help, I just gritted my teeth and pushed as hard as I could and something snapped and it went in, and it works :I ...

It's extremely loose, but it's finally in.

Thanks ya'll!