Scratches on fan blades?

Go to solution Solved by GuitarBro,

Just an update: Cooler Master confirmed this isn't normal and requested I send it back in for a replacement.

I recently ordered a Cooler Master Silencio FP 120mm fan and upon opening it, I noticed the backs of the fan blades seemed scratched up (images attached). Is this normal?

fan_scratch_b.jpg

fan_scratch_a.jpg

Hi there!

Not normal unless it's the same pattern on all blades. I'd send them back.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

might be a secondhand fan or a fan that came back from rma and is beeing resold, or evenfans scavanged from an old system. i personally would send them back since scratches on new products are a no nono for me, also it looks more like some blades were attacked with sandingpaper( might just be the light tho)

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Just now, malon said:

might be a secondhand fan or a fan that came back from rma and is beeing resold, or evenfans scavanged from an old system. i personally would send them back since scratches on new products are a no nono for me, also it looks more like some blades were attacked with sandingpaper( might just be the light tho)

That's what it looked like to me. Double checked the product listing and it definitely makes no mention of being used/returned.

Thanks guys.

Hi there!

25 minutes ago, GuitarBro said:

That's what it looked like to me. Double checked the product listing and it definitely makes no mention of being used/returned.

Thanks guys.

Is the front like that are very smooth and even it looks like their injection mold they used for the back portion has degraded and been reworked, not very well in this case, which is quite common you see on plastic parts. While it may not look the prettiest it won't have any issues with the fan itself 

Just now, W-L said:

Is the front like that are very smooth and even it looks like their injection mold they used for the back portion has degraded and been reworked, not very well in this case, which is quite common you see on plastic parts. While it may not look the prettiest it won't have any issues with the fan itself 

The front does look fine to me, no scratches there. I'm not so much concerned about the effectiveness of a scratched blade as much as being given one that was potentially previously used (and paying full price on top of that).

Hi there!

1 minute ago, GuitarBro said:

The front does look fine to me, no scratches there. I'm not so much concerned about the effectiveness of a scratched blade as much as being given one that was potentially previously used (and paying full price on top of that).

Ask them and see what they say, I doubt they were used as those scratches wouldn't occur from regular use, it would make sense for that to come from the manufacturing process, however you would expect them to do a better job than that. 

Just now, W-L said:

Ask them and see what they say, I doubt they were used as those scratches wouldn't occur from regular use, it would make sense for that to come from the manufacturing process, however you would expect them to do a better job than that. 

Yeah, I would expect them to do a better job. :/ I'll see what they say.

Hi there!

Just an update: Cooler Master confirmed this isn't normal and requested I send it back in for a replacement.

Hi there!

Can you do me a favor and mark:

20 minutes ago, GuitarBro said:

as best answer?

Just select your post as best answer so that if someone who has a similar issue passes by they have something to go off of.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 hour ago, GuitarBro said:

Sure, forgot about that.

Glad they were able to help you out with that by the way.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I just received the replacement fan and it too has these scratches all over the back. Awaiting further response from Cooler Master.

Hi there!

50 minutes ago, GuitarBro said:

UPDATE: I just received the replacement fan and it too has these scratches all over the back. Awaiting further response from Cooler Master.

Ehh they probably manufactured a lot of fans from that mold and didn't change or rework it, while it won't affect performance it doesn't look nicely finished. 

4 hours ago, W-L said:

Ehh they probably manufactured a lot of fans from that mold and didn't change or rework it, while it won't affect performance it doesn't look nicely finished. 

Yeah, that's my assumption. I wonder about its acoustic effects, though.

Hi there!

Just now, GuitarBro said:

Yeah, that's my assumption. I wonder about its acoustic effects, though.

It's just the surface finish from the injection mold so it's just minor scratches so it wouldn't affect acoustics at all. Does the fan have any marking on it that specify the materials lie ABS, PA6 with a GF# or GB# lettering (glass fiber or glass ball) out of curiosity.

2 hours ago, W-L said:

It's just the surface finish from the injection mold so it's just minor scratches so it wouldn't affect acoustics at all. Does the fan have any marking on it that specify the materials lie ABS, PA6 with a GF# or GB# lettering (glass fiber or glass ball) out of curiosity.

Unfortunately, I see none of those.

Hi there!

Just now, GuitarBro said:

Unfortunately, I see none of those.

oh well, if there was glass fiber that might explain why cause it tends to destroy the molds but strengths/stiffens the plastic signficantly. Getting back to the fan though I wouldn't worry too much about using it.

Just now, W-L said:

oh well, if there was glass fiber that might explain why cause it tends to destroy the molds but strengths/stiffens the plastic signficantly. Getting back to the fan though I wouldn't worry too much about using it.

That's good, though I'm a bit upset that I had to pay return shipping and they didn't even check that the replacement didn't have the same thing.

Hi there!

return it and buy from another seller. if you can buy from new egg or amazon they tend to have free returns

2 minutes ago, mad dudy said:

return it and buy from another seller. if you can buy from new egg or amazon they tend to have free returns

The only warranty I have is the manufacturer's warranty (Cooler Master) but since I didn't buy it directly from them I can only RMA for "free". :(

Hi there!

8 minutes ago, GuitarBro said:

The only warranty I have is the manufacturer's warranty (Cooler Master) but since I didn't buy it directly from them I can only RMA for "free". :(

i bought a case cooler master case from amazon, had a small problem with the case. started a RMA with cooler master and they sent me my replacement parts. you dont have to buy directly from thier store. just have a copy of the receipt.

also what shit hole store makes you pay for the return of a damage good????

Just now, mad dudy said:

i bought a case cooler master case from amazon, had a small problem with the case. started a RMA with cooler master and they sent me my replacement parts. you dont have to buy directly from thier store. just have a copy of the receipt.

also what shit hole store makes you pay for the return of a damage good????

Really? I didn't see an option for that on their site. Maybe I just overlooked it, I'll go back and see.

And apparently Cooler Master does. :/ 

Hi there!