External HDD Disconnecting randomly

DingdongTP
Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

Things don't last forever. Stuff break. Back it up and get a new one. The disk inside this one is just an ordinary internal drive which you can install in a computer straight up or you can get an external enclosure for it. Since it's the USB disconnection, it's highly likely that the drive inside is just fine, just the PCB in the enclosure is acting up. You can verify using a program called Seagate Seatools for WIndows.

I have a Seagate 3TB External Hard Drive for about 2 years, and it always have worked fine, but since Thursday it keeps disconnecting itself and then appearing as a non recognized USB device, forcing me to unplug the USB and plugging it back again, just to find out that around 2-10 minutes after it does the same all over again.

I've tried switching USB ports disabled USB power saving, but it simply doesn't work and the drive keeps getting disconnected.

It doesn't happen in any specific situation, I can be reading something from it, writing something to it, or even not doing anything and I still find myself hearing the sound of the USB disconnecting after a couple minutes.

Also, this doesn't happen to any other USB device on my computer.

I don't think the drive is corrupted because I can be accessing all files from it in the period that it functions properly and the drive works normally, until it randomly disconnects.

Does anyone know of such problem? Can someone please help? Thanks in advance!

Things don't last forever. Stuff break. Back it up and get a new one. The disk inside this one is just an ordinary internal drive which you can install in a computer straight up or you can get an external enclosure for it. Since it's the USB disconnection, it's highly likely that the drive inside is just fine, just the PCB in the enclosure is acting up. You can verify using a program called Seagate Seatools for WIndows.

20 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

So do you think I can remove the drive from the enclosure and use it internally in my computer via SATA3?

13 minutes ago, OvrilPT said:

So do you think I can remove the drive from the enclosure and use it internally in my computer via SATA3?

Yes. I've done it plenty of times. But you should know that if the drive has encryption enabled, removing the drive from the enclosure can lose data. So back it up first. 

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

Yes. I've done it plenty of times. But you should know that if the drive has encryption enabled, removing the drive from the enclosure can lose data. So back it up first. 

Do you know how I can check if it has encryption enabled? I didn't encrypt it myself at any time since I bought it so I thought it didn't have that protection enabled.

3 minutes ago, OvrilPT said:

Do you know how I can check if it has encryption enabled? I didn't encrypt it myself at any time since I bought it so I thought it didn't have that protection enabled.

Probably not. I'd imagine it would ask for a password every time you plug it in if it did.

1 hour ago, Naeaes said:

Probably not. I'd imagine it would ask for a password every time you plug it in if it did.

Oh, then I think I will swap the drive from the enclosure to the PC right when I can, thanks for the help!