home linux based game servers and connections

matexoza

i got a bit to cover here and my typing is crap sooo ill try to keep it clean as possible having a huge debate with a guy right now

i got a cheap old blade server off ebay its a bit older 2x quad core Xeon @1.88ghz with 8 gigs of ram going to upgrade the cpu to quad core 3ghz that ima get off ebay soon and add some more ram 

anyway while running on fiber-optic 1gbs internet router is a asus rt-ac68u server in question is a linux lubutu distro based l4d2 server 

the debate is on the ability to host a server from your home right now i have the server running mostly good (not 100% dialed in yet) but running ok at a 30(stock) tickrate 

most of the good servers run from 100-128 tickrate 

the argument is that you can't host a (good) server from a home server do to the fact you would get (bad routing from other people to your server)

(apparently the belief is that the servers you pay to rent have done something to help people get a faster connection to these servers) primarily these servers are rented from https://www.nfoservers.com/

generally these servers are rented vps running a Debian distro often rented at 1 cpu core for 3-4 servers unknown ram numbers

the more servers ran on it the worse they tend to run 

now me being who i am i wanted more control i wanted to be on the front end able to change anything i like about this setup (and its just enjoyable to play with)

now my isp is cincinnati bell fioptics 

some of the pings iv been getting

brazil 160-200

Macedonia 160

hong kong 100

Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana between 15-35

new Mexico 80

Quebec 45

Kansas 80-120

Wisconsin 70-120 

the last 2 are the 2 strange ones that seem like they should be a bit higher 

my problem is

(why)

would there be any kind of routing issue if any possible 

(fix)

how to handle such a problem to host really awesome 100tick servers directly from home 

my isp offers some business internet lines that have different options as well could these maybe help in getting better performance and connections

feal free to add into any of this with other options for as wide a range of information and coverage on the topic as you like this forum just seemed like the ultimate place to discuss such a topic  

regardless ima keep tryna make it run like a boss ;p

hope yall enjoy the long ass read sorry for what im sure has more typos than anything you read before lol

Do you plan on hosting servers for personal use, or host them with intent to sell a service to others?

host for myself and others to use with no intent to sell 

that being said they still need to run just as good as any rented server otherwise whats the point

4 minutes ago, matexoza said:

host for myself and others to use with no intent to sell 

that being said they still need to run just as good as any rented server otherwise whats the point

Are these others going to be people you know or will it be a community type deal?

The biggest problem is if you get some asshole who wants to DDoS you then you can't really do anything to stop them since you have a single pipe coming into your house. Even with a business class line it's still one line and nothing to prevent the DDoS, with hosted servers you have DDoS protection as they have many pipes and very large pipes which are much harder for some script kid/asshole to fill up.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

that is an argument i completely understand and yes it will be open to anyone and i do understand this point and currently have no way around that problem 

going on the side of ill cross that bridge when i come to it for that lol

the current bs everyone is screaming tho is that routing crap from the first post

ddos is something if people start to use them i can deal with latter