SteamCMD not accepting login

Im trying to get a server running, but for some reason its not accepting my login, whether its my account I just made for the server, or my actual steam account, with, or without quotations. Any idea why it keeps telling me to set a username when I know I am? Im on Ubuntu 16.04, doing this through the terminal.

713e309b48.jpg

Im adding these lines by doing "cd" to be in the home directory and doing "nano arma3server" and adding the lines there.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Is Arma one that you can download the server files while logged in as "anonymous"? I know mostly it's just for Source engine servers, but some other tools are freely available, I'd check if that's one of them. Otherwise, as long as you're doing "login whatever" and give it your password before you "force_install_dir", it should be recognizing.

I've seen some weird things happen in the past if you're using a 64 bit OS and you don't install lib32gcc1 first, that could be it as well.

If all else fails I'd try automating it, do a quick "nano serverinstall.sh" and just make it like this:

#!/bin/bash
./steamcmd.sh +login <username> <password> +force_install_dir <server directory> +app_update <server file ID number> validate +quit

Then just throw a quick "./serverinstall.sh" and hope for the best. Also, pro tip, you can use this same script for updating the server in the future.

13 hours ago, iBurley said:

Is Arma one that you can download the server files while logged in as "anonymous"? I know mostly it's just for Source engine servers, but some other tools are freely available, I'd check if that's one of them. Otherwise, as long as you're doing "login whatever" and give it your password before you "force_install_dir", it should be recognizing.

I've seen some weird things happen in the past if you're using a 64 bit OS and you don't install lib32gcc1 first, that could be it as well.

If all else fails I'd try automating it, do a quick "nano serverinstall.sh" and just make it like this:

#!/bin/bash
./steamcmd.sh +login <username> <password> +force_install_dir <server directory> +app_update <server file ID number> validate +quit

Then just throw a quick "./serverinstall.sh" and hope for the best. Also, pro tip, you can use this same script for updating the server in the future.

Im not sure if you help applies to me, Im actually running an install script, when this runs, it goes to install steamCMD, and thats where it runs into the login problems.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

On 8/20/2016 at 3:33 PM, suchamoneypit said:

Im not sure if you help applies to me, Im actually running an install script, when this runs, it goes to install steamCMD, and thats where it runs into the login problems.

Ahh, yeah, once you install SteamCMD you have to log into it with your Steam account. The script must not be doing that, or is doing it wrong. In the screenshot it's saying it's not logged into Steam so it can't download the Arma server files. You'll probably either have to edit the script and put in your credentials or do the whole thing manually.

Back to elaborate on doing it manually. If you're on a 64 bit version of Ubuntu you'll need to install this first:

$ sudo apt install lib32gcc1

Then create the second user for Steam and switch to using under that:

$ sudo adduser -m steam
$ su - steam

Create a 'steamcmd' directory and move into it:

$ mkdir steamcmd
$ cd steamcmd

Download the SteamCMD files:

$ wget https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd_linux.tar.gz

Extract the files:

$ tar -zxvf steamcmd_linux.tar.gz

Run SteamCMD:

$ ./steamcmd.sh

Your prompt should show up as 'steam>' now, log in:

steam> login <username> <password>

Tell it where you want the game, this example will make a new directory in ~/armaserver:

steam> force_install_dir ./armaserver/

Install the Arma 3 server files, wait for them to finish, then quit SteamCMD:

steam> app_update 233780 validate
steam> quit

At this point, I would do the thing I suggested in the first comment, create a little bash script to update the server:

$ nano serverupdate.sh

Paste in this, changing your login info and directory if you used one different from my example:

#!/bin/bash
./steamcmd.sh +login <username> <password> +force_install_dir ./armaserver/ +app_update 233780 validate +quit

To save, press Control+O, tap Y to accept, and hit Control+X to exit.

Now make that script executable:

$ chmod 700 serverupdate.sh

Then at any point when you need to update the server, just close it and run:

$ ./serverupdate.sh

At this point you'll probably want to edit your config file, which I know nothing about for Arma, but here's how you crate and edit it:

$ cd ~/steamcmd/armaserver
$ nano server.cfg

Launching the server once you've done that will be:

$ cd /home/steam/steamcmd/armaserver
$ ./arma3server -name=server -config=server.cfg

Hope it helps, and good luck!

Actually, now that I think of it, I may know the original problem. When you were saying it wasn't recognizing your login, were you giving it your system login, to log into the computer, or your Steam account login? It has to be the Steam account login. That may just fix it.

16 hours ago, iBurley said:

Ahh, yeah, once you install SteamCMD you have to log into it with your Steam account. The script must not be doing that, or is doing it wrong. In the screenshot it's saying it's not logged into Steam so it can't download the Arma server files. You'll probably either have to edit the script and put in your credentials or do the whole thing manually.

I was reached out to by a guy who has hosted servers on linux before, and he walked me through it, getting it working. Somehow, during the installation process, the script for steamCMD didn't install or something, so I thought I had to add in some lines manually, but in reality, that file I was editing was supposed to be populated with a bunch of stuff, which it wasn't. After going through the process, The script appeared, and the login began to work.

Thanks for putting in all that effort to help me out, with specific directions, that was really nice of you to take all that time!

Very nice! I hope your server does well. Always happy to spread some knowledge.