PRIME 95 Temps

I've been messing around in bios and working with different voltages trying to find the sweet spot for performance and temp on my I7 4790K. I currently have it on 1.251V @ 4.5 ghz on all 4 cores. Running games like CS GO or Squad rise the CPU to 70-75C. When it is idle and not doing anything, the temperatures are around 37-47C. When I run Prime95(All hell breaks loose), all 4 of my cores start going crazy at 100C. I'm wondering if this is a sign that my water cooler isn't seated properly. Maybe I should lower my clocks?

I heard people getting better results with the Hyper 212evo.. I'm pretty sure the cooler master seidon 120v is marginally better than the 212evo according to a different source.

Specs:

I7 4790K

Cooler Master Seidon 120v

Crucial Ballstix Tactical 8GB RAM 1600MHZ

EVGA 1070SC

1TB WD Black

6bd7f80000.png00568e936a.png

retest your p95 run with these custom settings:

p95-1344.png

your temps should fall quite a bit. more than likely, your still in adaptive voltage mode (which you should not run synthetic stressing when in adaptive voltage mode).

also use only one monitoring app. dueling software can give erroneous readings..

Just now, airdeano said:

retest your p95 run with these custom settings:

p95-1344.png

your temps should fall quite a bit. more than likely, your still in adaptive voltage mode (which you should not run synthetic stressing when in adaptive voltage mode).

also use only one monitoring app. dueling software can give erroneous readings..

I have adaptive voltage off though

Neither do I have Csteps in my bios enabled.

then your CPU mount is the defect. something is possibly not allowing te mount to lay flush on the CPU IHS (as the temps scale cooler to the bottom of the core).

retest with those settings and report back..

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

then your CPU mount is the defect. something is possibly not allowing te mount to lay flush on the CPU IHS (as the temps scale cooler to the bottom of the core).

retest with those settings and report back..

I ran with your test for 2 minutes and the temperature rose to 90C.

Then I BSOD

shouldn't have BSOD unless the other testing did the same (this is a lighter punishment test).

time to remove the pump from the IHS and review the TIM pattern.

check to see if the hoses are not leaning on a capacitor or RAM/DIMM slot.

Just now, airdeano said:

shouldn't have BSOD unless the other testing did the same (this is a lighter punishment test).

time to remove the pump from the IHS and review the TIM pattern.

check to see if the hoses are not leaning on a capacitor or RAM/DIMM slot.

Wuts the IHS or TIM pattern?

Not familiar with these terms

Thermal paste inside this CPU is bad.

i7 4790k are know to have thermal problems.

I have i7 4790k on 1,25V at 4,5GHz all the time, and during AIDA64 with FPU, CPU and Cache stability test, I get temps up to 78°C. On custom water cooling.

Deliding would help a lot, but I just don't wanna destroy my 380€ worth CPU xD 

Also prime95 is cancer for your CPU. Use AIDA64 or intel extreme ulity instead.

But keep in mind that just FPU stress testing will lead to 100°C and crash after that. FPU is just another cancer thingy for your CPU.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

IHS= integrated heat spreader (lid on the CPU) that the thermal paste (TIM= thermal interface material).

when you remove the pump, observe te pattern of the paste. is it equally 'squished' or thick at the top of the CPU and mashed on the lower portion of the CPU?

08.jpg

middle is normal, the frame on the right shows the lower portion not making proper contact.

5 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Thermal paste inside this CPU is bad.

i7 4790k are know to have thermal problems.

I have i7 4790k on 1,25V at 4,5GHz all the time, and during AIDA64 with FPU, CPU and Cache stability test, I get temps up to 78°C. On custom water cooling.

Deliding would help a lot, but I just don't wanna destroy my 380€ worth CPU xD 

Also prime95 is cancer for your CPU. Use AIDA64 or intel extreme ulity instead.

But keep in mind that just FPU stress testing will lead to 100°C and crash after that. FPU is just another cancer thingy for your CPU.

I honestly thought I was the only one with that voltage. I thought 1.251V at 4.5 ghz was too much voltage. 

Edit: I'm probably going to reseat and reapply artic silver thermal paste on saturday when I have time. I'll use the pea instead of the line application method instead. Probably change my front fan that only goes up to 1103 RPM to my other fan that goes 2000 RPM for the push and pull config on my radiator.

Hopefully that will help

1 minute ago, AuraDesru said:

I honestly thought I was the only one with that voltage. I thought 1.251V at 4.5 ghz was too much voltage. 

Stock voltage was like 1,287 in my case.

I reseted CMOS, updated BIOS and pluged in brand new i7 4790k. No overclocking and changing settings, voltage was 1,287V. 4,4GHz single core or 4,2GHz turbo when all cores active.

So stock is 4,2GHz at 1,287V.

It means that I underclocked my CPU and pushed frequncy 300MHz higher xD 

1,25V isn't too much for that CPU. 1,3V is still fine, but anything beyond that isn't safe in my eyes. But if you have heat problems with 1,25V, it will get even worse if you try to overlock it more.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Stock voltage was like 1,287 in my case.

I reseted CMOS, updated BIOS and pluged in brand new i7 4790k. No overclocking and changing settings, voltage was 1,287V. 4,4GHz single core or 4,2GHz turbo when all cores active.

So stock is 4,2GHz at 1,287V.

It means that I underclocked my CPU and pushed frequncy 300MHz higher xD 

1,25V isn't too much for that CPU. 1,3V is still fine, but anything beyond that isn't safe in my eyes. But if you have heat problems with 1,25V, it will get even worse if you try to overlock it more.

When I set my bios to AUTO on majority of everything

IT had the voltage setting to 1.351 at 4.6 ghz.

I think I'm pretty stable at 1.261V at 4.5 ghz now.

I just have to reseat the cooler and repply thermal paste.

Does anyone know whether connecting a FAN directly to the PSU makes the fan run at 100%? I don't have a long enough wire to connect my coolermaster sickle flow 120mm fan to the motherboard.

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

yes, if using the molex 12v, it will be direct 12v.

The connector only has 2 pins?

thats all you need a positive and negative to power the fan. the third is a tach signal for the mobo.

Just now, airdeano said:

thats all you need a positive and negative to power the fan. the third is a tach signal for the mobo.

Is there an indication that is it a 12v connector?

this diagram should help:

Diagram.png

if your PSU cable are black or custom color, note the shape/orientation of the connector. the yellow (12+) and the black adjacent are your wires needed.

On 8/18/2016 at 11:54 PM, airdeano said:

this diagram should help:

Diagram.png

if your PSU cable are black or custom color, note the shape/orientation of the connector. the yellow (12+) and the black adjacent are your wires needed.

So I reapplied the thermal paste.

I'm getting above 50C but under 55C on idle. I'm probably going to have to wait for Artic silver 5's burn out period before I really see actual temps.

I used the pea method and such.

57 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

So I reapplied the thermal paste.

I'm getting above 50C but under 55C on idle. I'm probably going to have to wait for Artic silver 5's burn out period before I really see actual temps.

I used the pea method and such.

Burn in time is 300 hours. Your temps aren't going to drop much.

I'd make sure you can hear your pump working.

9 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Burn in time is 300 hours. Your temps aren't going to drop much.

I'd make sure you can hear your pump working.

The pump is working. I feel like I should just try and go for a air cooler now.

I'm going to reapply the thermal paste tomorow with even less paste. 

Just now, AuraDesru said:

The pump is working. I feel like I should just try and go for a air cooler now.

I'm going to reapply the thermal paste tomorow with even less paste. 

Should try giving it a run without the OC, too.

Just now, SageOfSpice said:

Should try giving it a run without the OC, too.

Obviously the temps are going to go down without OC at stock 4.0 ghz.

I play games that are CPU based that require strong single core performance.

I just feel like I might of gotten something defective or I applied a ton of thermal paste. I'm tempted to use the plastic card method of spread but meh.

Just now, AuraDesru said:

Obviously the temps are going to go down without OC at stock 4.0 ghz.

I play games that are CPU based that require strong single core performance.

I just feel like I might of gotten something defective or I applied a ton of thermal paste. I'm tempted to use the plastic card method of spread but meh.

Obviously, or you've observed that they've gone down?

It's something that takes 5 minutes to test, and most overclocking motherboards have the ability to save OC profiles.

1 minute ago, SageOfSpice said:

Obviously, or you've observed that they've gone down?

It's something that takes 5 minutes to test, and most overclocking motherboards have the ability to save OC profiles.

Before I reapplied thermal paste today. 3 days ago, I ran my CPU at stock and it would never go over 70C on 4.0ghz on all 4 cores with hyperthreading on.