Router dying or ISP?

itachi737
Go to solution Solved by itachi737,

I don't know why, but I  restarted my router once more and it works fine now!

Anyway, thank you all for your advices.

Hello,

Today, I couldn't find a game in BO3, after trying everything on my ps4, I ended up restarting my router. It solved the problem but 5 min later my internet crashed. Since then, each time I restart the router, Internet works for less than 2min and then it crashes. I know that everything points towards the router, but the thing is that even if I can't load a web page, I can still connect to the wifi and access any anything on my local network wired and wireless (Nas, other pcs, printer, router settings, etc). Is it my router dying or could it be my ISP/ Modem?

Thanks

Personally, I'd try to contact your ISP to have them check everything over at there end because if it is a fault at their end then it should come at no extra cost to yourself. The fact that the you can still connect to the local network makes me think that it's either your ISP or Modem at fault. Contact your ISP first and restart the modem.

If you have another modem by chance then try running that instead - I'm sure your ISP will supply you one (at some cost). Hopefully someone else will suggest a good method of troubleshooting a modem/router as I can't think of any good methods.

:)

7 minutes ago, Toxiic said:

Personally, I'd try to contact your ISP to have them check everything over at there end because if it is a fault at their end then it should come at no extra cost to yourself. The fact that the you can still connect to the local network makes me think that it's either your ISP or Modem at fault. Contact your ISP first and restart the modem.

If you have another modem by chance then try running that instead - I'm sure your ISP will supply you one (at some cost). Hopefully someone else will suggest a good method of troubleshooting a modem/router as I can't think of any good methods.

Unfortunately, even if I had another modem, I can't replave this one because they used a lock that requires a special key to detach the cable from the modem (yea I know that super weird), but I ll definitely give them a call. Thank You for your advice.

When crashes , log into the router from a PC by typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0, log in. Once your in there is probably some sort of error. A common problem for me is I can see the router is not receiving an IP address from my modem. 

Chances are you will see something missing ( for example my router would show an "X" next to my internet address which loaded in as 0.0.0.0 ( obviously invalid) and that will lead you in an trail to the root cause of the problem. 

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

32 minutes ago, itachi737 said:

Hello,

Today, I couldn't find a game in BO3, after trying everything on my ps4, I ended up restarting my router. It solved the problem but 5 min later my internet crashed. Since then, each time I restart the router, Internet works for less than 2min and then it crashes. I know that everything points towards the router, but the thing is that even if I can't load a web page, I can still connect to the wifi and access any anything on my local network wired and wireless (Nas, other pcs, printer, router settings, etc). Is it my router dying or could it be my ISP/ Modem?

Thanks

Sounds a lot more like a dieing router/AIO than your ISP, but it's always a good idea to contact them and ask them to verify your service form their end, particularly during the time that you are seeing the issues.

22 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

When crashes , log into the router from a PC by typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0, log in. Once your in there is probably some sort of error. A common problem for me is I can see the router is not receiving an IP address from my modem. 

Chances are you will see something missing ( for example my router would show an "X" next to my internet address which loaded in as 0.0.0.0 ( obviously invalid) and that will lead you in an trail to the root cause of the problem. 

I just checked it but I couldn't find any issues. Even checked the log but every thing seems right. I ll give my ISP a call, but am pretty sur it's the router. Thank You.

21 minutes ago, Wombo said:

Sounds a lot more like a dieing router/AIO than your ISP, but it's always a good idea to contact them and ask them to verify your service form their end, particularly during the time that you are seeing the issues.

Yea, I'll give my ISP a call, but I pretty sure the router is tge problem. Thank You.

I don't know why, but I  restarted my router once more and it works fine now!

Anyway, thank you all for your advices.