Minecraft Server ?

Lucaz97

Hi,

I dont know where i should post this, please move if wrong place. 

I was thinking about using my second desktop to setup a minecraft server to play with my friends.

I'd like to load some mods even though i dont know which ones yet. 

My question is about the best way to do so (i found different ways on the web), (I 'd like to leave it on 24/7), it has 6 gb of ddr3 ram and an amd a6 (dont know the exact model) 

I was also concerning if limiting the cpu to something about 70/80% would be a good idea or not (to save something on the power bill) 

Another thing i was planning to do was to set team viewer to be able to access the pc remotely if i need to change something (I will leave the pc over my granpa's house) but I wasnt planning to leave a monitor attached and I am  not sure if team viewer will let me see something if nothing is displayed to a monitor....  ( i hope this part is clear) 

Thank you all! 

Intel i7 6700k @4.6 1.330v  cooled with H110i GT // 16Gb Kingston Fury DDR4 ram @2133MHz // Rx 480 Nitro+ // 2TB + 1 TB Hdd  // 250 GbSSD // on an Asus Z170-A // powered with Corsair RM750i // all  inside a Corsair 600C

I think you can use TeamViewer, since I used it with a laptop whose screen was turned off (the lid was shut), as it was strapped to a projector. You can still try it before actually setting up the server.

5 minutes ago, Lucaz97 said:

Hi,

I was thinking about using my second desktop to setup a minecraft server to play with my friends.

My question is about the best way to do so (i found different ways on the web), (I 'd like to leave it on 24/7), it has 6 gb of ddr3 ram and an amd a6 (dont know the exact model) 

I was also concerning if limiting the cpu to something about 70/80% would be a good idea or not (to save something on the power bill) 

Another thing i was planning to do was to set team viewer to be able to access the pc remotely if i need to change something (I will leave the pc over my granpa's house) but I wasnt planning to leave a monitor attached and I am  not sure if team viewer will let me see something if nothing is displayed to a monitor....  ( i hope this part is clear) 

Thank you all! 

https://www.mcmyadmin.com

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

1 minute ago, Zynch175 said:

I think you can use TeamViewer, since I used it with a laptop whose screen was turned off (the lid was shut), as it was strapped to a projector. You can still try it before actually setting up the server.

it turns on the screen, atleast in newer  updates

but mcmyadmin is the best option

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

Yeah it was quite a while ago. 

And yes you should use mcmyadmin as suggested, it is the best option, I totaly forgot about it. 

Thank you guys! 

Intel i7 6700k @4.6 1.330v  cooled with H110i GT // 16Gb Kingston Fury DDR4 ram @2133MHz // Rx 480 Nitro+ // 2TB + 1 TB Hdd  // 250 GbSSD // on an Asus Z170-A // powered with Corsair RM750i // all  inside a Corsair 600C

13 hours ago, Lucaz97 said:

Hi,

Thank you all! 

1. There should be no problem with you underclocking the cpu.

2. Ram might become a problem if you want to play with more than 4-5 players and scatters around the world.

3. Teamviewer can be used without a monitor to the remote pc.

Since it is an APU, i am curious about if it is a desktop or laptop, because this can change a few things to make it better og worse.

First of all, if it is a laptop, then i would be concerned about the cooling. If it is a desktop then there should be no concern on that subject, and is it a desktop with a dedicated gpu then you could pull that out of the machine and run on the APU instead to save some more on the power bill.

second of all, i would put some more ram in the machine just to be save on that point.

Again that is just what i would do and be concerned about. But in theory there should be no trouble for you running a MC with your machine.

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

3 hours ago, Las_Killar said:

1. There should be no problem with you underclocking the cpu.

2. Ram might become a problem if you want to play with more than 4-5 players and scatters around the world.

3. Teamviewer can be used without a monitor to the remote pc.

Since it is an APU, i am curious about if it is a desktop or laptop, because this can change a few things to make it better og worse.

First of all, if it is a laptop, then i would be concerned about the cooling. If it is a desktop then there should be no concern on that subject, and is it a desktop with a dedicated gpu then you could pull that out of the machine and run on the APU instead to save some more on the power bill.

second of all, i would put some more ram in the machine just to be save on that point.

Again that is just what i would do and be concerned about. But in theory there should be no trouble for you running a MC with your machine.

It is an old desktop. 

Thank you. 

I am having some trouble setting up the server with mcmyadmin... Can you suggest a good tutorial?

59 minutes ago, Lucaz97 said:

It is an old desktop. 

Thank you. 

I am having some trouble setting up the server with mcmyadmin... Can you suggest a good tutorial?

Okay, Then take a look inside to see if the machine has an onboard GPU (Most likely there is) and a dedicated graphic card, i would pull the dedicated card out to save more on the power bill :) And of cause put some more ram in the machine just to be save :)

I don't have any experience with mcmyadmin, so unfortunately i can't help there other than try some difference guides and find the one that explains the most (and of cause seems to work)

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

Looking at this tread I decided to give McMyAdmin a shot, but I installed it on a Ubuntu server through putty...

I haven't played around with the controls to much, but it looks fairly easy.

If you can get ubuntu on the laptop (Which is fairly easy) here is the youtube video I followed to instal McMyAdmin.. it was very easy to follow.. just be careful with the password part - " sudo ./MCMA2_Linux_x86_64 -setpass password -configonly "  

Instead of the password -configonly ... just put what ever you want your password to be..

I would instal ubuntu with out the gui, it will save on your resources.. and everything will be ran through a command line, which you can remotely access with an app called putty.. I'll sometimes use WinSCP for file transfers..

- - - - 

My question though !

Does anyone know of a good way to get McMyAdmin to auto start within a screen on boot? Incase my computer looses power.. reboots, what ever.. I want it to auto start..

So, I managed to set the server up but I cannot connect to it from an external pc. If i set the ip in the server file the server wont boot. Starting it with no ip where it says server ip in the server properties file I cant find it from other pcs inserting my pc IP and port number (i hope is clear enough) 

Any help on this ? 

Thanks in advance