Question about Modmic models (its on sale)

tROVLET

Hey, the mic is now on sale in massdrop for only 39.99$ and I'm going to buy it

The question is, There is two models in the checkout - standard muted and OMNI-DIRECTIONAL muted

What is the diffrence?

Link

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, tROVLET said:

SNIP

One is a directional mic, best to isolate the speaker from background noise

the omni mic captures audio 360

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Muted means it will have this.

MD-25324_20160809095337_a7f2f6ab2d790560

You have a mute switch on your microphone, no need to mute via software. Some people prefer a software solution, some prefer a hardware one. Some like to have both options.

The muteless Modmic simply does not have the mute switch shown above. That's the only difference. Worth $4-5 to Antlion, apparently.

The so called "standard" Modmic is uni directional. Americans might be more familiar with the term "cardioid".

It is designed to pick up sound primarily from the direction it is facing. It is called cardioid by the Americans because the pickup pattern looks similar to a heart.

Polar_pattern_cardioid.png

Typically, uni directional microphones exhibit slightly worse frequency response (sounds slightly less natural, sounds "flat" and helicopter pilot like, similar holding your nose and talking) but better noise isolation/less background noise (preferred by gamers, helicopter pilots, any noisy situation) compared to their omni directional counterparts.

If you have ever tried to speak to someone sitting next to you in a helicopter, you will know that you have to shout to be able to be heard at all.

When a reporter is in a helicopter with a headset on, you can hear their voice quite clearly over the helicopter.

The downside is, their voice sounds nothing like what it was originally, and often, you have to position the microphone very close, and therefore it picks up the hissing Ss, explosive Bs, Ts and Ps (any sound involving exhaling air out of your mouth).

Say "potato potato potato, tomato tomato tomato" with your hand very close to your mouth.

Omni directional means it is designed to pick up sound equally in all directions.

600px-Polar_pattern_omnidirectional.png

Typically, omni directional microphones exhibit slightly better frequency response (sounds more natural) but worse noise isolation compared to their uni directional counterparts. They are typically favoured by recording artists or any application requiring high sensitivity or audio clarity that is truer to the original sound.

Some people also favour omni directional microphones simply because you do not have to worry about which direction it is facing. With the pop filter (that's the cloth like cover on top) over the microphone, it can be difficult to tell which way is the "front". I know Antlion put a microphone symbol on one side just below the pop filter to tell uni directional owners which way it should be facing.

MD-25324_20160809095334_eddf52ee431ea9ac

With an omni directional microphone, you do not have to worry about such things.

I am going to assume you are mainly a gamer. An omni directional microphone would definitely pick up on a mechanical keyboard even if the rest of your environment is quiet. I would suggest the uni directional one ("cardioid").

Hope this helps.

6 minutes ago, nobelharvards said:

Wow, Thank you very much for so imformative reply

I've joined the Omni directional because I preffer better quality, I live alone so My house is pretty quite

thanks again man

I recommend the directional mic version if you won't capture your little brother trough 2 walls further -_-