PG279Q vs. PG27AQ

Im trying to decide on what gaming monitor to get and having trouble deciding between the PG279Q and the PG27AQ.

PG27AQ: 

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27AQ/

PG279Q:

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/

The only noticeable difference between these monitors that I see is that one is 1440p and the other is 4k. 

The reason I am looking at these two monitors is that I wanted a display that has g-sync and can still be used for playing games with my ps4. Both monitors support g-sync through displayport and have both a displayport and hdmi input. I'm also worried about scaling issues when playing games on my ps4 since the monitors are higher resolutions than the ps4 can output (1080p). 

Thanks, 

Spirit

30 minutes ago, Spirit_Hunter said:

Im trying to decide on what gaming monitor to get and having trouble deciding between the PG279Q and the PG27AQ.

PG27AQ: 

PG279Q:

The only noticeable difference between these monitors that I see is that one is 1440p and the other is 4k. 

The reason I am looking at these two monitors is that I wanted a display that has g-sync and can still be used for playing games with my ps4. Both monitors support g-sync through displayport and have both a displayport and hdmi input. I'm also worried about scaling issues when playing games on my ps4 since the monitors are higher resolutions than the ps4 can output (1080p). 

Thanks, 

Spirit

Wouldn't touch either at the moment. Asus have quite literally the worst QC on the high end series of monitors (PG279Q and up). I would say go with the Predator XB271 series which has the same panel as the 279Q but QC that is actually respectable.

11 hours ago, Coombzy said:

Wouldn't touch either at the moment. Asus have quite literally the worst QC on the high end series of monitors (PG279Q and up). I would say go with the Predator XB271 series which has the same panel as the 279Q but QC that is actually respectable.

Not a huge fan of the stand that ships with the XB271 but I guess a monitor arm could easily solve that. Running into the same decision though, 1440p or 4k. I have a 980ti in my rig if that helps. 

2 hours ago, Spirit_Hunter said:

Not a huge fan of the stand that ships with the XB271 but I guess a monitor arm could easily solve that. Running into the same decision though, 1440p or 4k. I have a 980ti in my rig if that helps. 

I'm in the same ballpark. I'm looking for a new monitor and I much prefer the subtle lighting on the stand of the ASUS ones over the VERY red stand on predator monitors. Linus also seemed to love the ASUS PG279Q you're looking at. It has the nice joystick for monitor controls which I really like. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

I'm in the same ballpark. I'm looking for a new monitor and I much prefer the subtle lighting on the stand of the ASUS ones over the VERY red stand on predator monitors. Linus also seemed to love the ASUS PG279Q you're looking at. It has the nice joystick for monitor controls which I really like. 

Yeah some of the reviews mentioned that the ASUS had a better UI compared to the Acer equivalents. They also mentioned that the Acer didint have as good build quality however the ASUS had a lot of issues blacklight bleed.  The accent light would be nice but not a selling point for me. 

1 hour ago, Spirit_Hunter said:

Yeah some of the reviews mentioned that the ASUS had a better UI compared to the Acer equivalents. They also mentioned that the Acer didint have as good build quality however the ASUS had a lot of issues blacklight bleed.  The accent light would be nice but not a selling point for me. 

Didn't Acer reduce BLB by lowering contrast a lot compared to the asus?

3 hours ago, Spirit_Hunter said:

Yeah apparently the Acer UI is horrendous to use especially with their button layout. And I'm just glad it is JUST accent lighting. You can turn it off if you want unlike the red stand you are stuck with the Acer models. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

20 hours ago, Spirit_Hunter said:

PG27AQ: 

PG279Q:

Thanks, 

Spirit

Thoughts on build quality are really anecdotal in my eyes; for any company that ships literally thousands of these things a day all around the world, statistically speaking we all should get a bad product every now and then. I try not to judge too harshly unless the evidence is pretty overwhelming. Anyways, both would suit you fine but I'd go with the 1440p one personally; I don't care much for 4K and the scaling would be a headache for me. Besides 1440p looks gorgeous as I have the younger brother of the PG279Q, the PG278Q. Sure it's a TN panel but damn do my games look great. And if we're talking build quality, this thing has run top notch since the day I got it (Summer of '15).

17 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

I would rather get the ASUS honestly because all my monitors are ASUS. However the horrible state of QC on the PG279Q is unacceptable. You're at least 80% guaranteed a bad panel vs the Acer which according to any review within the last 3-4 months has a good panel rate.

11 hours ago, Coombzy said:

I would rather get the ASUS honestly because all my monitors are ASUS. However the horrible state of QC on the PG279Q is unacceptable. You're at least 80% guaranteed a bad panel vs the Acer which according to any review within the last 3-4 months has a good panel rate.

It's worth it in my opinion. Asus has everything else about the monitor is better. From on screen controls to aesthetics to the stand. If I have to go through 100 monitors to get a good one I will vs Acers. And it's too bad. The red has to ruin such a good monitor :/ 

P.S. It's hard to say what percentage I have getting a good/bad panel unless you have solid stats to back it up. Otherwise you're just through out a random made up stat. 

On 15/08/2016 at 9:26 PM, RyGuy99 said:

It's worth it in my opinion. Asus has everything else about the monitor is better. From on screen controls to aesthetics to the stand. If I have to go through 100 monitors to get a good one I will vs Acers. And it's too bad. The red has to ruin such a good monitor :/ 

P.S. It's hard to say what percentage I have getting a good/bad panel unless you have solid stats to back it up. Otherwise you're just through out a random made up stat. 

This is still the issue that many face today, that's 20 monitors unboxed and not a single one was a good panel.

3 hours ago, Coombzy said:

This is still the issue that many face today, that's 20 monitors unboxed and not a single one was a good panel.

Still worth it if I was in the market for one but I've changed and want an ultrawide instead.

14 hours ago, Coombzy said:

That is truly terrible, I expected a lot more from a company as respectable as ASUS. I noticed that newegg offered ASUS rapid replacement when purchasing this monitor but it doesn't look like it will be ant help. 

4 hours ago, Spirit_Hunter said:

That is truly terrible, I expected a lot more from a company as respectable as ASUS. I noticed that newegg offered ASUS rapid replacement when purchasing this monitor but it doesn't look like it will be ant help. 

Yeah, on the high end it appears ASUS have literally left their QC department to rot. Acer on the other hand have actually improved the good panel rate and are continuing to. Its a little funny considering Acer were the underdogs for a while.

9 hours ago, Coombzy said:

Yeah, on the high end it appears ASUS have literally left their QC department to rot. Acer on the other hand have actually improved the good panel rate and are continuing to. Its a little funny considering Acer were the underdogs for a while.

I know, typically I stayed away from acer products because I've heard they were cheaper when it came it quality. Looks like they're stepping their game up. 

On 8/13/2016 at 8:22 PM, Spirit_Hunter said:

PG27AQ: 

PG279Q:

Thanks, 

Spirit

I made the mistake of buying the 29Q 5 times before I got fed up with driving back to Microcenter. I ended up getting the Acer Predator XB271HU and it worked the first time around. Do yourself a favor and stay away from high end Asus monitors.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

8 hours ago, Remixt said:

I made the mistake of buying the 29Q 5 times before I got fed up with driving back to Microcenter. I ended up getting the Acer Predator XB271HU and it worked the first time around. Do yourself a favor and stay away from high end Asus monitors.

Will do! 

Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated. 

You don't have panel warranty ?

In france you can buy a warranty service on panels from retailers.

If the monitor isn't good you can send it back for free and get a new one.

That without having to deal with Asus ( wich as a terrible service in france)

Can be good if you really want an Asus panel.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

2 hours ago, Atsura said:

You don't have panel warranty ?

In france you can buy a warranty service on panels from retailers.

If the monitor isn't good you can send it back for free and get a new one.

That without having to deal with Asus ( wich as a terrible service in france)

Can be good if you really want an Asus panel.

Those warranties exist in the U.S. but they are scams. Every time I've tried to make a claim regardless of product type I get the run around and don't get a replacement. I'm sure France has laws protecting against that sort of thing.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

• 3 weeks later...

In France company with bad customer services don't survive long.

It's already hard enought to exist with things like amazon in the way.

So yeah most are very good and responsive.

I got my Swift PG279Q a few months back and it has a line down the middle some times that needs to be fixed, but they don't trust people to firmware so I need to RMA it just because of firmware issues.

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly

On 6.9.2016 at 4:03 AM, Atsura said:

In France company with bad customer services don't survive long.

It's already hard enought to exist with things like amazon in the way.

So yeah most are very good and responsive.

In Germany and/or Austria you have usually a 2 week return right, for anything sold over the internet.

Sometimes even you have got a 30-day return warranty.

Oh nice , in france it's only 7 days ( without any special warranty) so you can return a product for free.