Laptop Motherboard help

Hey, got a question and I hope you guys can help.

I usually stay on my desktop but I needed a laptop for a while so I bought a prebuilt Lenovo Z70 that I thought could still play a reasonable amount of games.

Everything looked fine. 8gbs of 1600mhz RAM, 1TB HDD, GTX 840m 2gb, 1080p, 17", i7-5500U Processor 2.4ghz

Only when i got home and got to using it, I saw that the processor is a dual core, not quad. Which I personally do not think is at all good in 2016.

Being the socially awkward person I am I don't want to go back to the store and ask for a refund to buy another PC so i'd rather just upgrade the CPU with something cheap.

I know that the motherboard is Lenovo Z70-80 but this is where my knowledge ends. Could any of you guys tell me if it's upgradeable, the CPU. If yes, some suggestions?

Thanks.

Unfortunately alot of the "i5's" in laptops are actually dual core with hyperthreading, essentially an i3. You should still be fine with gaming through. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

32 minutes ago, CannedLobster said:

I usually stay on my desktop but I needed a laptop for a while so I bought a prebuilt Lenovo Z70 that I thought could still play a reasonable amount of games.

Everything looked fine. 8gbs of 1600mhz RAM, 1TB HDD, GTX 840m 2gb, 1080p, 17", i7-5500U Processor 2.4ghz

Only when i got home and got to using it, I saw that the processor is a dual core, not quad. Which I personally do not think is at all good in 2016.

Being the socially awkward person I am I don't want to go back to the store and ask for a refund to buy another PC so i'd rather just upgrade the CPU with something cheap.

I know that the motherboard is Lenovo Z70-80 but this is where my knowledge ends. Could any of you guys tell me if it's upgradeable, the CPU. If yes, some suggestions?

Thanks.

1 - your CPU is soldered to the board so it's not upgradeable
2 - every single intel ULV CPU (those which end in "U" - i7 5500U, i5 4200U and etc) are dual-cores with HT and are TDP limited to 15W so perform poorly
3 - if you like the machine, use it. Quad-core laptops usually cost 900$ and upward.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

12 hours ago, CannedLobster said:

Thanks.

hey. My laptop is a 1000$ HP and it has a dual core i7. If the laptop isnt for gaming than i wouldnt worry about it. i play csgo and lol on mine and i even play overwatch on it. i bought it not for a gaming computer, but for a computer that could be used for light gaming.

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Thanks for the responses. I did buy it for light gaming, but also so my girlfriend could use it to play Dragon Age Inquistion. I was honestly expecting it to be able to run that game with this laptop, but I doubt it now that I've seen the CPU. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z70-80/#tab-tech_specs
THat's the PC, do you think it can run it? Everything is at the "Up to" except 8gn instead of 16 and no 8gbs of SSHD, whatever that is for.

I guess the only solution here is to either accept the PC as it is, and hope it can run Inquisition or get back to that store that I've already been difficult for twice now and ask for a refund so I can buy a 15" that has better components (including quad core) for a little bit higher price.

Is this where I ask for motivational advice rather than technology advice?

2 minutes ago, CannedLobster said:

Thanks for the responses. I did buy it for light gaming, but also so my girlfriend could use it to play Dragon Age Inquistion. I was honestly expecting it to be able to run that game
with this laptop, but I doubt it now that I've seen the CPU. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z70-80/#tab-tech_specs
THat's the PC, do you think it can run it? Everything is at the "Up to" except 8gn instead of 16 and no 8gbs of SSHD, whatever that is for.

I guess the only solution here is to either accept the PC as it is, and hope it can run Inquisition or get back to that store that I've already been difficult for twice now and ask for a refund so I can buy a 15" that has better components (including quad core) for a little bit higher price.

Is this where I ask for motivational advice rather than technology advice?

Dual-cores with HT will run it AS LONG AS they are not ULV crap. Get something with a CPU not ending in "U" - like an i5 4200H, i5 6300HQ or i7 4700MQ or whatever. Just no ULVs.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6