I think I might have a faulty CPU or motherboard. Can anyone confirm?

Go to solution Solved by Cloveh,
On 8/12/2016 at 4:39 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Return the parts or RMA the Motherboard with the CPU (so that they can confirm that the motherboard is defective and not the CPU, or the other way around....)

Hey it's been a long time since this thread has had anything posted so I am going to close it but the solution/what the issue actually was was the 6800k had a bad imc. I sent it back and went back to my 6700k. Memtest with the 6700k runs flawlessly. I am going to stick with the 6700k for now. Thanks for your help!

So I have been running into small issues up to now, little crash and reboot here, error there, nothing that worried me. I have been trying to fix a crashing issue that I didn't think much of, so I ran some tests and I thought it was my PSU. I thought this because I could reproduce the error if I loaded the CPU and the GPU at the same time. It would crash and reboot. I was going to request RMA of my power supply today but I realized I hadn't run mem test yet. So I said why not and ran it. It ran through once and gave no errors. Went for the second pass and it locked up. Full system hang. It didn't give an error just a freeze. After I did a bit of research I think it might be the CPU's memory controller. If anyone could confirm this or give me something else to test or try I would be grateful. Thanks in advance!

SPECS!

i7 6800k

Asus X99A Usb 3.1

Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 MHz (XMP) 32GB 4x8Gb (I bought the kits at separate times so maybe this has something to do with it although I doubt it as they were bought about a month or two apart)

GTX 660

EVGA 750 watt semi-modular PSU (B2 or something like that)

What BIOS are you on? (if not the latest update it)

are you overclocked?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Newest bios 2101 I think. Not overclocked. I reset the CMOS anyway and tried it again. Same issue.

Hmm, I have never heard of a cpu being defective. Usually unless it's completely broken (because a contact point is damaged or the chip has been deformed) it won't have any defects - I'm pretty sure they are tested at the factory and there is no way for it to deteriorate by itself. It's more likely to be the motherboard or the ram itself. To test it your best bet is to try each component by itself in a different computer, but that is not always easy to do. Try all ram sticks one by one in different slots and see if that makes any difference.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Hmm, I have never heard of a cpu being defective. Usually unless it's completely broken (because a contact point is damaged or the chip has been deformed) it won't have any defects - I'm pretty sure they are tested at the factory and there is no way for it to deteriorate by itself. It's more likely to be the motherboard or the ram itself. To test it your best bet is to try each component by itself in a different computer, but that is not always easy to do. Try all ram sticks one by one in different slots and see if that makes any difference.

I have heard of faulty memory controllers, a friend got a faulty 6700k. I don't think it's the CPU, not ruling it out. I think it is most likely the MOBO. (I hope not though because of all the time without a working desktop if I have to send it in)

9 minutes ago, Altecice said:

What BIOS are you on? (if not the latest update it)

are you overclocked?

Not overclocked and latest bios

Have you ever had someone who's memory controller failed? 

3 minutes ago, Cloveh said:

Not overclocked and latest bios

Have you ever had someone who's memory controller failed? 

It is highly unlikely that you have a faulty memory controller.... Try with one stick at a time.... I think you've got a or some defective memory modules.... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

If you have XMP, turn it off, because your CPU might have a weak memory controller (XMP can cause issues if that's the case...) 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you have XMP, turn it off, because your CPU might have a weak memory controller (XMP can cause issues if that's the case...) 

The first pass I did Was without XMP. I will try again

1 minute ago, Cloveh said:

The first pass I did Was without XMP. I will try again

If it doesn't work try one stick at a time.... 

You can't rule out the possibility of a GPU issue, if the screen just froze.... 

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You can't rule out the possibility of a GPU issue, if the screen just froze.... 

Its possible but I doubt it. It looks and feels like a system hang

5 minutes ago, Cloveh said:

Its possible but I doubt it. It looks and feels like a system hang

It has happened to me... Every time I plugged in the GPU the system would just freeze randomly... Try with another GPU (just to make sure)

10 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It has happened to me... Every time I plugged in the GPU the system would just freeze randomly... Try with another GPU (just to make sure)

Ok I will swap in a 570. Also I went down to one dimm and it has the same issue.

2 minutes ago, Cloveh said:

Ok I will swap in a 570. Also I went down to one dimm and it has the same issue.

Try that and let us know of your results....

The memory controller would have to be absolutely fried so as not to work in single channel... the issue lies somewhere else in the system...

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The memory controller would have to be absolutely fried so as not to work in single channel... the issue lies somewhere else in the system...

Ok So the motherboard is borked

2 minutes ago, Cloveh said:

Ok So the motherboard is borked

I don't think so, try a different RAM kit...

I don't think so, try a different RAM kit...

I don't have anymore DDR4. This is my only PC that uses DDR4. My other ones use DDR3

I you have to RMA your board though, I feel sorry for you.... ASUS' RMA is terrible....

I you have to RMA your board though, I feel sorry for you.... ASUS' RMA is terrible....

Yeah I know. I wouldn't use ASUS I would use jet returns

3 minutes ago, Cloveh said:

Yeah I know. I wouldn't use ASUS I would use jet returns

Did the GPU make a diference?

Did the GPU make a diference?

Still swapping

It was in a different machine that was in use. I had to stop it pull it out. I am swapping it RN

5 minutes ago, Cloveh said:

Still swapping

It was in a different machine that was in use. I had to stop it pull it out. I am swapping it RN

I am pretty sure that the GPU was the issue.... Anyway, let me know of your results...

Edited by PCGuy_5960
Autocorrect screwed me

12 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am pretty sure that the GPU was the issue.... Anyway, let me know of your results...

Swapped GPU's same thing