Xsplit gamecaster settings - maybe OBS?or....

Hi guys,

So I am trying to record myself while playing and first I tried Xsplit because you know....heard at Linus :)) but here's my problem.

I have an I7 4790K , with 16G of ddr3 at 2133Mhz with a Nvidia 980 on Asus ROG PG279Q, what I think(looks like I am wrong) a pretty decent setup.

The games I am interested are RaceRoom Experience, Assetto Corsa and Automobilista(this one is no problem) I run them at max res 2560 -1440 with 165Hz, same in game with some setting on low ,like shadows(know it's a big FPS hit or mirror details)normally i have 100+fps in multiplayer with 20+cars on a very heavy detailed track, Spa Francoshamps comes to mind...so i setup my Xsplit gamecaster and recorded something - self video with Logitec 920C and audio with Blue Snowball....but FPS dropped to 40-ish and the game was very laggy, and in a game where input lag is very important that wasn't too good :(.

I went in game settings and went down on a resolution to 1920 - 1080, and cut some more of the graphics details only managed to increase to 60ish...and allot worse looking graphics.

My questions to you , if you are so kind to help 

1. Am I doing something wrong?Xsplit settings or something?

2. Should I try OBS?would I have better success?

3. Need to upgrade? I have an Asus Rog Maximus VII Hero "mobo", can it run 1080?

4. Do I need more ram?

5. After the recording is it best to just upload or should I edit? I am using Sony Vegas 13, my session is kinda long, minimum is 30-40min

thank you

I use OBS personally and I use quick sync option that luke did a video on about a year or so ago. It basically involves using the iGpu on the CPU to encode which should yield no performance loss in game. I don't feel a hit at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idhkZy-tMTU

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

1 minute ago, BarryPrestonSladeJr said:

I use OBS personally and I use quick sync option that luke did a video on about a year or so ago. It basically involves using the iGpu on the CPU to encode which should yield no performance loss in game. I don't feel a hit at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idhkZy-tMTU

any tips for setting OBS for youtube and 2560x1440?what i have seen shortly on youtube it's not very fresh

1 minute ago, Mr.C said:

any tips for setting OBS for youtube and 2560x1440?what i have seen shortly on youtube it's not very fresh

As far as recording footage to upload later, you want to play with the bitrate settings and record if you can to a separate drive than the game is on if you have that luxury. I don't recall my particular settings at the moment, but they didn't shy too far away from the stream settings. I use OBS Studio which gives you the option to record or stream. Lately I have been saving footage with Geforce experience's Shadow play.

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

Just now, BarryPrestonSladeJr said:

As far as recording footage to upload later, you want to play with the bitrate settings and record if you can to a separate drive than the game is on if you have that luxury. I don't recall my particular settings at the moment, but they didn't shy too far away from the stream settings. I use OBS Studio which gives you the option to record or stream. Lately I have been saving footage with Geforce experience's Shadow play.

for one lap videos iI use Shadow play as well, but  when I want to record more + webcam + external mic + thinking of adding another webcam, don't think it's possible with shadow play.

Will dig into it, thanks

2 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

for one lap videos iI use Shadow play as well, but  when I want to record more + webcam + external mic + thinking of adding another webcam, don't think it's possible with shadow play.

Will dig into it, thanks

After I am done with session of No Man's Sky,  I will check all my OBS settings and will post them if you still need them. 

my settings look like this, nothing like in the youtube videos, also enabled Igpu in bios but can't see it in obs. Just did a 1h session with Nvidia selected and took a hit on FPS, 60-ish also after I stop recording and watched it back, quality was awfull

Untitled.jpg