Asus Rog PG279Q - USB

Mr.C

Hello,

I am a newbie by nature so excuse me for what might be a silly question.

I am running out of USB ports on my desktop, and I noticed that the monitor has to USB 3.0 ports but whenever I plug something into them, doesn't work, I am thinking camera (Logitech c920 or mic blue snowball) or mouse or anything else, any ideas? I have plugged in both HDMI and DisplayPort, had only DP until today.

Have a Nvidia 980 and a Antec something case with 3 USB 3.0 ports on the front, only 1 works for some strange reason(in device manager i have no yellow warning on any of the usb) and on the back another 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports.

Is is a software issue?what i am missing? 

thank you

There is a USB B to A that you need to hookup between your PC/Monitor in order for the monitor ports to work.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

1 minute ago, Mr.C said:

the square one is USB B?

13987889_1797740983794949_1220269728_o.jpg

Yes

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

OMG< saved my life :)))) thank you....

anything i can do about the front UBS ports or should i open another topic in a relevant thread?

5 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

anything i can do about the front UBS ports or should i open another topic in a relevant thread?

YOu might want to see if the internal header from your front panel is plugged into correct slot on your mobo.

Check your closet (or where ever you store parts), the cable you need is in the stuff that came with the monitor.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

7 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

You have to treat the USB ports on the monitor like ports on a USB hub.  The HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI cables do not carry USB data signals.  Hence you need a USB cable from the PC to the monitor (the USB B) to act as the cable that connects the computer to the hub.

Same thing with USB ports on a PC case's front panels, for this you should have a cable in the case that connects the front panel to the USB header on the logic board.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, Verrierr said:

YOu might want to see if the internal header from your front panel is plugged into correct slot on your mobo.

well that's beyond my skill level so I will let it be, it worked until a few months ago. Didn't install new windows or anything, just out of the blue 2 of them stop working,

2 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

well that's beyond my skill level so I will let it be, it worked until a few months ago. Didn't install new windows or anything, just out of the blue 2 of them stop working,

Perhaps the cable somehow became disconnected, did you build the PC yourself or was it pre-built?  Perhaps referring to the manuals that came with the logic board or PC when you bought it would help you trouble shoot the connection issues.

This is a photo of a USB 2.0 header

2093_p4_13.jpg

This is a photo of a USB 3.0 header

usb-3.0-header__42520_zoom.jpg

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

2 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

It is extremely simple. Just watch a Linus video on how to build a PC. You won't break anything.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

These are USB 2 and USB 3 cables that go into their respective headers

KuF8o.png

1 hour ago, ALwin said:

These are USB 2 and USB 3 cables that go into their respective headers

KuF8o.png

This forum is EPIC!....:)) that's exactly the cable that was just a bit loose, when i looked inside it looked hooked but saw the picture and decided to look again, pulled a bit and it was to easy to remove, push back good and works!!

thank you all

• 2 years later...

Wondering if I can ask about this topic again?  I just started using some arctis 7's tonight and I'm finding that with my keyboard, mouse, camera, heaphones, wireless device for my headphones, wireless device for my madden controller and my a2+'s I'm one short on usb's.  If I could use my monitor, I think I'd have just enough to not have to crawl around and swap cables.  I have the cable that seems to be mentioned above connect between my monitor and my gpu, but I don't seem to have usb connection on the monitor.  I initially connected my arctis 7's and the wireless device to the monitor and got nothing.  Connected them both to the pc instead and they worked instantly.

Thanks for any further help.

Okay.  Stupid here.  The photo is referencing the cable that is NOT there correct?