[REPOST]'World's largest' SSD revealed as Seagate unveils 60TB monster

wyattzx

cpcvxlgwgaag2qg.jpg

Seagate has been showing off its monster 60TB solid-state drive (SSD) this week, which breezes past the 15TB SSD that Samsung launched in March. But don't expect to see Seagate's SSD in a consumer device any time soon, with the new drive set to join the high-performance end of its datacenter portfolio. Samsung's PM1633a has a 2.5-inch form factor and holds 15.36TB of data. For now, it remains the largest commercially available SSD and reportedly costs $10,000 per unit. Seagate's 60TB Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) SSD on the other hand opts for the familiar HDD 3.5-inch form factor. The company says that its drive has "twice the density and four times the capacity" of Samsung's PM1633a, and is capable of holding up to 400 million photos or 12,000 movies.

Source: zdnet.com

60TB?! That's absolutely insane! I don't care if it takes five-ten years for this to reach consumer level. The fact that we're reaching these sorts of densities already is absolutely incredible. I... I don't know what to say. This is absolutely crazy, guys. 

Thoughts?

retoast

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Just now, Valermos said:

retoast

Damn it. I looked up and down and up and down and up and down that list to make sure. I guess when your title isn't straight to the point, it's easier to miss. My bad.