How much 1ms and 5ms response time differ ? (Is it a deal breaker)

Mohi
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,
6 minutes ago, Mohi said:

BENQ RL2455Hm(1ms,TN)  vs  LG 24MP88HM(5ms,IPS). Will response time make a lot of difference in FPS gaming?/

99% wont notice, considering a mouse click has like 50-100ms of lag

Also, there is no specific way to measure it, and they dont have to include signal processing time, so dont read too much into the specs

you can check tests on tftcentral if you really want to know the latency, but even a 20ms screen will only lose 1-2 fps per second so it really doesnt matter much!!

Id take IPS over TN any day

BENQ RL2455Hm(1ms,TN)  vs  LG 24MP88HM(5ms,IPS). Will response time make a lot of difference in FPS gaming?/

For the average person probably not, however if you are by any means competitive go for the TN. 

Response time is a meaningless statistic. You won't notice any difference between response times. 

2 minutes ago, SauronsV said:

For the average person probably not, however if you are by any means competitive go for the TN. 

Response times mean nothing for competitive gaming, they're entirely marketing statistics. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Response time is a meaningless statistic. You won't notice any difference between response times. 

Response times mean nothing for competitive gaming, they're entirely marketing statistics. 

Dont IPS monitors usually have higher input lag?

2 minutes ago, Mohi said:

Not really, sub 5ms is barely distinguishable(if at all..), IPS panels in general look so much better than TN(wider view angles, deeper blacks, etc.).

Just now, SauronsV said:

But the model i have selected has only 5ms response time and its IPS.

6 minutes ago, Mohi said:

Also, there is no specific way to measure it, and they dont have to include signal processing time, so dont read too much into the specs

you can check tests on tftcentral if you really want to know the latency, but even a 20ms screen will only lose 1-2 fps per second so it really doesnt matter much!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, SauronsV said:

Input lag varies from monitor to monitor. You can easily have a TN monitor with a significantly higher input delay than an IPS monitor. Input delay times are extremely rare statistics, though and don't have a standard way to be measured.  IPS panels tend to have higher response times, but that really doesn't mean anything. 

9 minutes ago, Mohi said:

get the LG, i have it and LOVE IT <3 <3 its really easy to setup, really nice to use and the ips is a real bonus, I personally love it and would recommend it

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

1 minute ago, Mohi said:

But the model i have selected has only 5ms response time and its IPS.

Response time and input lag/delay are not the same thing. Response times are for the most part meaningless and input delays are basically never quoted or even measured in the first place. A lot of monitors with an input lag specification will actually be showing the response time due to a misunderstanding. 

Even if it were showing the input delay, 5ms is 0.005 seconds which is way too quick to notice. 

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

The TN monitor could have 100ms of input delay and a 1ms response time. They're unrelated statistics. 

If we're talking identical monitors and the only difference is 1ms and 5ms response times, the difference is 100% not noticeable. Any perceived difference would just be placebo. 

The TN monitor could have 100ms of input delay and a 1ms response time. They're unrelated statistics. 

If we're talking identical monitors and the only difference is 1ms and 5ms response times, the difference is 100% not noticeable. Any perceived difference would just be placebo. 

I agree, but I also mean that manufacturers could have a monitor with a 1ms pixel response and 200ms signal unput lag and still advertise it as a 1ms monitor

its meaningless in that the two numbers could represent two completely different things

And as you rightly say, 4ms difference is just unnoticeable 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I agree, but I also mean that manufacturers could have a monitor with a 1ms pixel response and 200ms signal unput lag and still advertise it as a 1ms monitor

Yep, and it would technically be accurate (for their testing methodology), so not false advertising ):

Like the majority of monitor statistics, they're just numbers to sound good. Things like contrast ratios are the same and past a point, they don't really mean anything.

Yep, and it would technically be accurate (for their testing methodology), so not false advertising ):

Like the majority of monitor statistics, they're just numbers to sound good. Things like contrast ratios are the same and past a point, they don't really mean anything.

exactly, if there was some standardisation then they could be compared

the only way to ACTUALLY compare them is to measure them the same way, like when TFT Central do their tests to get the real numbers

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

exactly, if there was some standardisation then they could be compared

the only way to ACTUALLY compare them is to measure them the same way, like when TFT Central do their tests to get the real numbers

It's the only way to compare them, but still doesn't necessarily give you accurate specs for an individual monitor. Still useful for seeing that monitor A is X amount faster than monitor B when responding to inputs. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's the only way to compare them, but still doesn't necessarily give you accurate specs for an individual monitor. Still useful for seeing that monitor A is X amount faster than monitor B when responding to inputs. 

yeah not on its own but if you were stuck between choices it could be a factor