What would be the highest OC i could achieve

What would be the highest CPU OC I could achieve with my computers specs? I currently am running it at 4.4 ghz with and idle temp of 36/7 using a tuning and 45 when playing games (GtaV BO3). Do i even need to oc more or would it not be worth it?

There is my current airflow Config http://imgur.com/gallery/3O4BA

PS. This is the fan on my hyper 212 evo ARCTIC Arctic F12 PWM CO 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan

CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K OC (4.4Ghz) | Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | MB Asrock FM2A68M-HD+

| RAM 2 x Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB @ 1866 Mhz | GPU Zotac Geforce GTX 960 2GB 

Case Thermaltake Core V21  | HDD(s) 1 x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 1 x WD Scorpio Blue 320GB 1 x WD Scorpio Blue 500GB | PSU EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 80 Plus 

Screen Samsung 22" 1080P 60 Hz TV | Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition | Mouse Cheap Gaming Mouse Off Ebay

Sound Card: None(using onboard mb sound driver) System: Logitech Z333 | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K OC (4.4Ghz) | Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | MB Asrock FM2A68M-HD+

| RAM 2 x Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB @ 1866 Mhz | GPU  Zotac GTX 960 2GB 

Case Thermaltake Core V21  | HDD(s) 1 x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 1 x WD Scorpio Blue 320GB 1 x WD Scorpio Blue 500GB | PSU EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 80 Plus 

Screen Samsung 22" 1080P 60 Hz TV | Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition | Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Sound Card: None(using onboard mb sound driver) System: Logitech Z333 | OS Windows 7, 64 Bit

You're probably looking somewhere between 5-9ghz.

Whether or not you need to OC more depends on YOUR needs. If your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU, then feel free to OC. If not, there's no point. The point of overclocking is more or less to soften bottlenecks in the system, or in some cases, remove them completely. If your computer doesn't have any issues running the programs you need it to run, then overclocking is an entire waste of time, effort, and money.

As per the capabilities of your chip, that is for your chip to decide. It will tell you when it has had enough.

Just now, SageOfSpice said:

Whether or not you need to OC more depends on YOUR needs. If your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU, then feel free to OC. If not, there's no point. The point of overclocking is more or less to soften bottlenecks in the system, or in some cases, remove them completely. If your computer doesn't have any issues running the programs you need it to run, then overclocking is an entire waste of time, effort, and money.

As per the capabilities of your chip, that is for your chip to decide. It will tell you when it has had enough.

ok well the only game i have trouble with is bo3 but i think that is down to the devs and a poorly optimized port. Thanks

Screen Samsung 22" 1080P 60 Hz TV | Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition | Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Sound Card: None(using onboard mb sound driver) System: Logitech Z333 | OS Windows 7, 64 Bit

Just now, Birchy Gaming said:

ok well the only game i have trouble with is bo3 but i think that is down to the devs and a poorly optimized port. Thanks

Well, run MSI OSD and see what the game is doing with your hardware. Even poorly ported games can be encouraged to run well given the correct environment. Just takes some fiddling.

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Well, run MSI OSD and see what the game is doing with your hardware. Even poorly ported games can be encouraged to run well given the correct environment. Just takes some fiddling.

does it matter im running a zotac gpu??

7 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

and are u kidding with "5-9ghz"

Just now, TriFlix Films said:

Please... Try 9ghz and share youre results lmao. /s

Record it, I want to see it combust.

No thanks i just got this pc in january(built it myself) and the max on this is 6.3 anyway;)

Just now, Birchy Gaming said:

No thanks i just got this pc in january(built it myself) and the max on this is 6.3 anyway;)

Good idea, I was more so making fun of the 5-9ghz suggestion hince the '/s'

Just now, Sintezza said:

Nobody can answer this question.

??

4 minutes ago, Birchy Gaming said:

??

Well, because every system is diffrent.

You could have 2 totaly identical systems hardware wise.

But that doesnt mean that you will achieve the same overclocks on both systems.

You never know this, since every chip is diffrent, every mobo is diffrent so on so forth.

Thats why overclocked gpu gaming benchmarks, that everyone is getting so excited about.

Dont make any sense to me.

Since you can have two totaly identical cards.

One can be a great overclocker, the other one could be a total lemon.

2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Well, because every system is diffrent.

You could have 2 totaly identical systems hardware wise.

But that doesnt mean that you will achieve the same overclocks on both systems.

You never know this, since every chip is diffrent, every mobo is diffrent so on so forth.

ok, what would you reccomend? i personally think that 4.4 is fine but not the max i could achieve? btw did u look at my airflow config?

9 minutes ago, Birchy Gaming said:

ok, what would you reccomend? i personally think that 4.4 is fine but not the max i could achieve? btw did u look at my airflow config?

Well if you allready achieved 4.4GHz then that is allready a nice number.

You could try to overclock it further if the temps are good.

But keep in mind that the effective realy world improvements you will get from overclocking it higher will realy be minimal or marginal at best.

At a certain clock speed, there isnt realy much to gain anymore real world.

But to answer more specificly, i think that your main limmitation of going much higher will most likely be the motherboard asside from cooling.

I don't recommend ever going more than 2 full ghz higher than base speed.

My 3.3ghz 5820K is know to reach an OC of 4.5. I personally would never try more that 4.2 even if it was stable.

It depends on the CPU, some OC better than others. It depends on your cooler and how efficient it is at cooling the CPU. It depends on 'silicon lottery'.... some lucky people have hit 5ghz on the 5820k.

But as others have stated, if your not bottlenecking the GPU, you dont need to OC. I video edit which is CPU driven, not always GPU so it makes sense for me. But that is entirely determined by what software you use. Most games dont require a high demand from CPU's when compared to GPUs thats why $300 CPU's are often paired with $800 GPU's.

Just now, Sintezza said:

Well if you allready achieved 4.4GHz then that is allready a nice number.

You could try to overclock it further if the temps are good.

But keep in mind that the effective realy world improvements you will get from overclocking it higher will realy be marginal at best.

At a certain clock speed, there isnt realy much to gain anymore realy world.

But to answer more specificly, i think that your main limmitation of going much higher will most likely be the motherboard asside from cooling.

yeah i agree, however i dont want to updrade mobo because im probably gonna upgrade to zen in 1-2 years as this build is about 7-8 months old and built it with money i got given at christmas

3 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

My 3.3ghz 5820K is know to reach an OC of 4.5. I personally would never try more that 4.2 even if it was stable.

It depends on the CPU, some OC better than others. It depends on your cooler and how efficient it is at cooling the CPU. It depends on 'silicon lottery'.... some lucky people have hit 5ghz on the 5820k.

Yeah but it also depends on the platform you are talking about.

On AMD platforms either am3+ and fm2+ it also highly depends on the motherboard quality aswell.

Like i said you basicly cannot answer a question as said in the OP directly.

Because there are just too manny variables that could effect the max overclocking capability of a certain system.

Like i said, i see manny people allways getting that excited about overclock gpu gaming benchmarks scores.

But those realy dont make much sense to me.

You see, they do give an impression of what might be capable to reach with a certain card.

But that doesnt mean that you will reach anywhere near it, if you buy the same card yourself.

So those gaming scores are basicly pretty much useless.

I´m more interested to see how a card performs stock out of the box instead.

So i´m pretty much guaranteed that i could expect similar performance figures out of the card i´m going to purchase.

1 minute ago, Sintezza said:

Yeah but it also depends on the platform you are talking about.

On AMD platforms either am3+ and fm2+ it also highly depends on the motherboard quality aswell.

Like i said you basicly cannot answer a question as said in the OP directly.

Because there are just too manny variables that could effect the max overclocking capability of a certain system.

Like i said, i see manny people allways getting that excited about overclock gpu gaming benchmarks scores.

But those realy dont make much sense to me.

You see, they do give an impression of what might be capable to reach with a certain card.

But that doesnt mean that you will reach anywhere near it, if you buy the same card yourself.

So those gaming scores are basicly pretty much useless.

I´m more interested to see how a card performs stock out of the box instead.

So i´m pretty much guaranteed that i could expect similar performance figures out of the card i´m going to purchase.

i think my gpu is stock but yeah i prefer a bit more power on my cpu when paired with a 960

13 minutes ago, Birchy Gaming said:

yeah i agree, however i dont want to updrade mobo because im probably gonna upgrade to zen in 1-2 years as this build is about 7-8 months old and built it with money i got given at christmas

Yeah i forgot about mobos. I use an x99a sli krait. Dont push OC on a crappy $120 or less board. Even then the $120-190 boards can be sketchy.

11 minutes ago, Birchy Gaming said:

i think my gpu is stock but yeah i prefer a bit more power on my cpu when paired with a 960

Yeah well the main limmitation you basicly get from your particular cpu.

Is its architectual limmitations.

Its just the way that the CMT architecture is designed pretty much.

You have have 2 modules with each 2 integer cores sharing cache and a fpu.

All those 4 integer cores have their own FPP, so that basicly means that they could handle upto 4 threads.

And that technically make them a quadcore.

However they are not performing as a true quadcore that have individual standalone cores like a core i5 for example.

Thats why you cannot realy compair current AMD cpu´s directly to its intel counter parts based on core count and clockspeeds.

Because intel has a diffrent architectual design.

4 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Yeah i forgot about mobos. I use an x99a sli krait. Dont push OC on a crappy $120 or less board. Even then the $120-190 boards can be sketchy.

I use a £40 GBP Asrock board and i find it is sufficent.

1 minute ago, Sintezza said:

Yeah well the main limmitation you basicly get from your particular cpu.

Is its architectual limmitations.

Its just the way that the CMT architecture is designed pretty much.

You have have 2 modules with each 2 integer cores sharing cache and a fpu.

All those 4 integer cores have their own FPP, so that basicly means that they could handle upto 4 threads.

And that technically make them a quadcore.

However they are not performing as a true quadcore that have individual standalone cores like a core i5 for example.

I heard something about that, but it does out perform a haswell unlocked dual core and was cheaper (this was built on a 500-600 quid budget and i think it went to 560 inc os)

26 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Are you thermally limited to 4.2 GHz?  There's absolutely nothing wrong with running a 5820k at 4.5 GHz or higher provided you have the cooling and CPU quality to do so.

23 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Are you thermally limited to 4.2 GHz?  There's absolutely nothing wrong with running a 5820k at 4.5 GHz or higher provided you have the cooling and CPU quality to do so.

OCing causes the 'lines' (can't remember proper term for wire that run power) to swell and while OCing is possible you're essentially adding more air to a ballon and praying its elastic enough to hold one more pump of air before * BOOM * Dead CPU.

13 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

OCing causes the 'lines' (can't remember proper term for wire that run power) to swell and while OCing is possible you're essentially adding more air to a ballon and praying its elastic enough to hold one more pump of air before * BOOM * Dead CPU.

I wish I could unread this.

You're probably better off keeping your HWE at 4.2.

33 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Just no...

Go read a physics textbook,

1. the proper term for a "wire" is a wire.

2. Wires are nothing like balloons, they don't change shape.

3. The frequency is irrelevant to killing a cpu, overcurrent is what usually causes it.

4.Current adds nothing to a wire so there is increase in any mass, or volume of the wire.

5.The problem with overcurrent is heat, and that more interference will happen since changes in current causes magnetic fields, which then can induce additional currents into other places where more current isn't good.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •