Smart Peoples' Thoughts Wanted: 400$ Video Editing RIG for 4K - 30FPS Video, is it even possible?

Go to solution Solved by Katsunaka,
4 minutes ago, Ralph Warom said:

Yes. A pure editing Rig. It doesn't have to game at all. It will spend all its use time just getting stuff done. 

I am pulling off a bit of a balancing act. With a budget of 1400$ I have to get a Laptop for work(Previously had only a desktop and need mobility). And a desktop which can replace my current dinasour for Video editing. 

I can go up to 800$ and be happy. And 1000$ if necessary. But that means I will get a sucky laptop.  Which is fine. Performance matters most.

You have alot of patience I guess. Probably be rendering a while, but heres what I managed, there's NO WINDOWS at all. 

The fans will add some extra cooling. Going with Skylake throws in an integrated GPU so you don't need one which saves money. It's not  a pretty or extremely capable PC but it'll work.

See what others say.  It gives you room for your laptop but will allow you to edit.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fdwPVY

In order to edit and render videos in 30FPS - 4K video, is it possible to build a rig at 570 $ excluding windows. That will get the Job done. Here is something I came up with just picking out items.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/d4XsXH

The list goes very high up to 

$1457.84

Can you build a PC that can handle 4k Video edits at that price? And if not, what kind of PC build is reasonable for editing and rendering videos in 4 K.

It's an editing only rig correct? Aside from basic usage. No gaming?

Also is it a $400 budget or $1400?

$1400 is a lot more manageable budget.

1 minute ago, Katsunaka said:

It's an editing only rig correct? Aside from basic usage. No gaming?

Also is it a $400 budget or $1400?

$1400 is a lot more manageable budget.

Yes. A pure editing Rig. It doesn't have to game at all. It will spend all its use time just getting stuff done. 

I am pulling off a bit of a balancing act. With a budget of 1400$ I have to get a Laptop for work(Previously had only a desktop and need mobility). And a desktop which can replace my current dinasour for Video editing. 

I can go up to 800$ and be happy. And 1000$ if necessary. But that means I will get a sucky laptop.  Which is fine. Performance matters most.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/x3vK3F
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/x3vK3F/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($113.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($129.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: LG 25UM56-P 25.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($180.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $975.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I would change the case, unless you have it already, to something like the Rosewill Challenger U3 (less expensive with many great features) or Fractal Design R-series (noise dampening and plenty of room.

The SSD will be for your OS and programs while the HDD will be for your files.

You can get the OS key for cheaper on Kinguin or Dealscube and you don't really need Pro but it's up to you.

The GPU is good since it has lots of VRAM (just make sure to enable hardware acceleration).

You can get an ATX board if you'd like but it doesn't increase performance.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Ralph Warom said:

You have alot of patience I guess. Probably be rendering a while, but heres what I managed, there's NO WINDOWS at all. 

The fans will add some extra cooling. Going with Skylake throws in an integrated GPU so you don't need one which saves money. It's not  a pretty or extremely capable PC but it'll work.

See what others say.  It gives you room for your laptop but will allow you to edit.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fdwPVY

Hey, thanks a lot. i totally appreciate this. Thanks.