pc keeps losing connection with router

ruffel
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Try a different port on the router and a different cable if able. 

My pc is connected to the router through a cable. But sometimes only my pc will lose connection with the network while other devices, wired or wireless, remain connected. I can go to the windows network and sharing center and click on the yellow triangle to bring up windows troubleshooter to reset the connection. Then it will say the problem is something along the line of 'unable to use default gateway' (idk my copy of windows is not in english). This disconnecting thing happen like 5 times in 10 minutes, stops, and then come back in 5 hours. How to solve this?

1 minute ago, ruffel said:

My pc is connected to the router through a cable. But sometimes only my pc will lose connection with the network while other devices, wired or wireless, remain connected. I can go to the windows network and sharing center and click on the yellow triangle to bring up windows troubleshooter to reset the connection. Then it will say the problem is something along the line of 'unable to use default gateway' (idk my copy of windows is not in english). This disconnecting thing happen like 5 times in 10 minutes, stops, and then come back in 5 hours. How to solve this?

Do you have what your default gateway is?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Do you have what your default gateway is?

192.168.0.1 (is this the one?)(found it in cmd (ipconfig))

3 minutes ago, ruffel said:

192.168.0.1 (is this the one?)(found it in cmd (ipconfig))

That seems fine.

What legacy99 said is a very good suggestion, trying different ports on the router, different cables, and I would like to add other Ethernet ports if your motherboard supports it.

Otherwise, it may be a problem with the OS or drivers.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Just now, bob51zhang said:

That seems fine.

What legacy99 said is a very good suggestion, trying different ports on the router, different cables, and I would like to add other Ethernet ports if your motherboard supports it.

Otherwise, it may be a problem with the OS or drivers.

alright I switch the port, switching cable is very troublsome, but when the worse comes I have a wireless receiver (let's hope it doesn't get to that)

14 minutes ago, ruffel said:

You mentioned your copy of Windows is not in English. Is that on purpose?

1 minute ago, Stylized_Violence said:

You mentioned your copy of Windows is not in English. Is that on purpose?

That's because me and my family don't natively speak english. It's a legit copy if that's the issue

(if you're wondering why I mentioned it's to explain why the message I got from troublshooter may not be accurate)

Just now, ruffel said:

That's because me and my family don't natively speak english. It's a legit copy if that's the issue

(if you're wondering why I mentioned it's to explain why the message I got from troublshooter may not be accurate)

Okay, I didn't wanna seem like I was pointing fingers but that was my suspicion, that it wasn't a legit copy and that's where your problem could be stemming from. As an afterthought, have you tried turning off the router? Or uninstalling it and reinstalling. Could be a corrupt install. Or a bad router.

Just now, Stylized_Violence said:

Okay, I didn't wanna seem like I was pointing fingers but that was my suspicion, that it wasn't a legit copy and that's where your problem could be stemming from. As an afterthought, have you tried turning off the router? Or uninstalling it and reinstalling. Could be a corrupt install. Or a bad router.

I have tried turning off and turning it back on, but only when all devices lose connection (i.e. 'internet is down')

I did not install the router myself, but windows was reinstalled back in April due to drive failure