Need advice on new pc build

TGRx

>> Introduction:

(you can skip this if you want).

Greetings everyone.

I have been watching linus tech tips recently and have become a fan. I have been learning lots over the last few days and am ready to start my new build.

I am building my first computer since my last build which was literally 8 years ago. I have forgotten so much about how to do everything (since my last build worked so well for so long and I am not an avid gamer/ hardware guy). I take pride in having my own home-grown pc and refuse to buy a desktop ever again. ;)

My last build had a core 2 quad q6600 and back when it was new it was a beast (no laughing please). Recently, I had an electrical issue related to my mobo that I'm not willing to fix. Every component I have is outdated and I'm realizing now it's time to start over fresh.

What I am going to use the pc for:

I am NOT a gamer, nor do I edit video. I'm really just into multi-tasking a lot with browser windows and other apps for word processing etc. I plan to install illustrator or photoshop (prob both) eventually. My wife is an artist and sometimes makes use of this software (I do too sometimes).

>> My budget:

WAS $400 (USD) but it has now gone to about $450.

>> My goal:

-I want the computer to be easily upgraded over the next few years. For example, from what I understand, LGA 1151 socket is the most future-proof option out there.

-I'd like to have the option to overclock in the future if I should decide to. I plan to learn more about this later.

- I would like to make use of my old antec nine hundred case if possible (it still has the usb 2.0 slots on the top.).

- I am also planning on using my old HDD's

-I really want the fast start-up ability of an SSD for my operating system.

-I plan to get windows 10 or possibly run my old windows 7 with my old HDDs

>> Here is my proposed plan:

- Intel Core i3-6100 3M 3.7 GHz LGA 1151 BX80662I36100 $125

-ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler for Intel, 150W Cooling Capacity ~$24 

(I know nothing about fans, is this good enough if I'm not overclocking?)

-Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound ~$7

- ZOTAC GT 700 GeForce GT 730 DirectX 12 (feature level 11_0) ZT-71115-20L 4GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 ~$71

-SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3-D SSD ~ $79

-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 ~$38

-ASRock Z170A-X1 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX ~$90

--roswell valens 600m modular 80 plus gold cert active PFC (I already own this component).

>>Old components I hope to reuse:

-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (old usb 2.0 version)

-SAMSUNG 22X DVD burner sata model#SH-S223F

-Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD

>>Can someone please tell me if there is anything that is obviously incorrect or incompatible with this plan?

>>Any obvious bottlenecks that I should be aware of?

>>Will my old HDD, dvd drive, and case be compatible with these new parts?

>>My apologies for the long entry, I'm not usually this long-winded.

-Thanks

Cpu looks good.

Id use the stock cooler. The i3's use very little power and you won't hear it at all. Thermal compond comes with the cooler.

Id get 16gb of ram, it doesn't cost much more, but its nuice to have.

Id use the igpu. No reason to buy a 730 as its the same speed as the igpu and if your not gaming you don't need much gpu power.

Id get a cheaper b150 board. No reason to get z170 if your not getting a k sku.

Id get a 250 ssd. Windows will fill 120gb very fast.

You old parts will work fine.

You dont need a dedicated GPU if you dont plan on gaming, and light games will run on an i5's integrated GPU.

Grab a spend 300USD on a nice i5 + Mobo, no need to overclock, go for h170 chipset, and spend the rest on RAM, Storage a nice PSU and case. You wont even need a aftermarket CPU cooler.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

-Thank you, all, for the quick responses.

I will def consider taking out the gpu in favor of the integrated gpu.

I guess it will always be an option to add  a gpu later if I decide to try one of the new games in the future.

But that would def save $$$ to skip the gpu.

I will consider increasing the SSD to 250

Also, I will skip the cpu cooler and thermal glue. I figured it might be included with the cpu but nothing on the product specs said so, so I figured it might not.

-Thank you all for the input. Keep the ideas flowing.

47 minutes ago, TGRx said:

-I want the computer to be easily upgraded over the next few years. For example, from what I understand, LGA 1151 socket is the most future-proof option out there.

-I'd like to have the option to overclock in the future if I should decide to. I plan to learn more about this later.

- I would like to make use of my old antec nine hundred case if possible (it still has the usb 2.0 slots on the top.).

- I am also planning on using my old HDD's

-I really want the fast start-up ability of an SSD for my operating system.

-I plan to get windows 10 or possibly run my old windows 7 with my old HDDs

The LGA 1151 is indeed relatively future proof, so going for a lower end LGA 1151 CPU is not a bad idea at all and leaves for upgrading possibilities in the future. I chose the Asus board because personally I've had excellent experience with the build quality and overal solid performance of their boards. The Z170-P can be used for decent overclocking, if you plan to go full on OC, you should instead go for a Z170-A, but they cost more.

The Antec 900 is a solid ATX case. You'll have no problem fitting everything in there. Yes it's got USB2 instead of USB3, so be it. This Asus board has a USB 3.1 connector on the back if I am not mistaken, should you need to use this in the future.

SSD wise there is a lot to choose from. Since this motherboard has an M.2 slot, I figured you might as well put something in there. They are a bit more expensive than the good ol' 2.5 inch SATA so there's that.

In this gathering of parts below I went with an i5, just for the sake of keeping those 4 cores you have with the Q6600. I loved my E6600 back in the day, damn that thing was built to last. Sure the i3 is nice and it will probably be a little better single core performance-wise, but the budget allowed me. There's 16GB of RAM for future's sake. You can go with 8 to save a buck if needed. I did not choose a GPU, the Intel integrated HD530 is a decent iGPU and you can always put in a beefy GPU at a later stage. The 70$ GT730 is not worth it. The boxed cooler with the i5 is nice and keeps the CPU at decent temperatures. If you want a quieter fan or a cooler running CPU, there's plenty of coolers out there, but IMO not worth it for your suggested usage.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/7JQjpb

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($103.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($73.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Adorama) 
Total: $455.85

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-07 15:06 EDT-0400

Folding@Home ~75k points per day | My Simple Air-cooled Machine Maintenance Guide | Dutch Talk | Building a Wooden Popsicle Stick House

Main rig: i7-3770 stock - ASUS P8Z77-M - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2x Radeon HD6970 2GB - SilverStone GD05-B - Corsair RM650x

Not gonna lie... I didn't do much research on SSD drive interfaces so your tip about including that is much appreciated. I never would've thought of that. Thank you

I will upgrade the mobo to include an M.2 as well.

I think this thread has saved me money and improved my plan so far for sure.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna be buy components tonight or tomorrow.

Keep the ideas flowing

get an sp 550 120gb ssd instead. and follow linus' video on optimizing an ssd and hdd array so you dont install stupid random crap on the ssd. btw the sp550 is about $40 right now so its a really good deal. you can also pick up a 1tb wd blue for around $50 or a 2tb seagate for $70