~$1100 PC Build - Suggestions welcome!

jmtech100
Go to solution Solved by antisleep,
5 minutes ago, jmtech100 said:

Actually, you are correct. The only reason I was thinking about getting the 6600k is that I was considering the possibility of overclocking. I've now determined that overclocking isn't right for me, and your build suggestion will be better in the long run. I may still decide to get the 1060, simply because I plan on only playing at 1080p. I also am not terribly concerned about looks, and was considering getting a case without a side-panel window.

Here's a good compromise, has red/black color matching to it with a cpu cooler just to rid of the awful looking stock.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/y7Cp8K

With the excess $100 I'd spend it on 500gb SSD and a WD black drive.

Hello everyone! I'm planning to build myself a new computer, as my current one is beginning to show its age. My budget is ~$1100, and I've already put together a base build on PCPartPicker, which is linked below. I just want to see what could possibly be changed to make this build better. All suggestions are welcome!

PCPartPicker Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/therealjmtech/saved/C8KJ7P

I recommend getting a 2x4 GB kit of ram rather than two separate orders also I would switch that psu for the EVGA G2 just a bit better quality and warranty. 

I would get a 500 watt psu, but I can see why you want a fully modular psu with gold efficiency. Also, you can get ram in a x2 kit instead of 2 sticks in different packages even though they are the same model. I recommend it for better compatibility, and stability.

That's a pretty good rig. If you don't plan to use VR, you can get a 980 Ti for a few bucks more than that 1060. Your PSU choice isn't bad at all, but you may want to look at some Seasonic PSUs.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

~$1100 i7-6700 / GTX 1070 mATX non-OC

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($304.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($55.38 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($70.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($434.98 @ Newegg) 

^or EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB CLASSIFIED ($389.99 @ Newegg) $420-$30 rebate
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.99 @ Newegg) 

^The CM N200 for ~$37 goes well with this mATX build
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1101.30

Alt 980Ti ATX build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z4JvWX

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

$1152 and worth the extra $50.  Add mass storage later:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($56.64 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot Torch LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($65.08 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($429.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1122.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-07 02:50 EDT-0400

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I did take a few of your suggestions into consideration, and edited the list appropriately. I'll list a few changes I made below.

► Changed RAM for a 2x8gb kit of G.Skill Ripjaws 4 RAM

► Changed PSU from Corsair RM650X to EVGA 650 GS.

► Changed SSD from Sandisk Ultra II to Crucial MX200.

Once again, thanks everyone for your suggestions.

9 hours ago, jmtech100 said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I did take a few of your suggestions into consideration, and edited the list appropriately. I'll list a few changes I made below.

► Changed RAM for a 2x8gb kit of G.Skill Ripjaws 4 RAM

► Changed PSU from Corsair RM650X to EVGA 650 GS.

► Changed SSD from Sandisk Ultra II to Crucial MX200.

Once again, thanks everyone for your suggestions.

There's no significant changes to these. You can get away with way more performance if you're not too concerned about your components looking good.

If you're that into color matching then do it the right way by getting the Red/Black S340 and HyperX Savage SSD.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

45 minutes ago, antisleep said:

There's no significant changes to these. You can get away with way more performance if you're not too concerned about your components looking good.

If you're that into color matching then do it the right way by getting the Red/Black S340 and HyperX Savage SSD.

Actually, you are correct. The only reason I was thinking about getting the 6600k is that I was considering the possibility of overclocking. I've now determined that overclocking isn't right for me, and your build suggestion will be better in the long run. I may still decide to get the 1060, simply because I plan on only playing at 1080p. I also am not terribly concerned about looks, and was considering getting a case without a side-panel window.

5 minutes ago, jmtech100 said:

Here's a good compromise, has red/black color matching to it with a cpu cooler just to rid of the awful looking stock.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/y7Cp8K

With the excess $100 I'd spend it on 500gb SSD and a WD black drive.

Well, thanks @antisleep for all the suggestions. I'll be going for the suggested 1060 build, with a few adjustments by myself. Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.