HDMI vs DVI to HDMI Adapter

Rambo3456

i am looking into getting a new monitor but i only have a single hdmi port a vga cable and DVI port on my video card (my hdmi is being used) so my question is if i have a DVI to HDMI adapter will it look the same as HDMI With no adapter

Sent From The TechMaster Himself

Thanks For All The Help - Rambo3456

Just now, AddisonHawke said:

i am looking into getting a new monitor but i only have a single hdmi port a vga cable and hdmi port on my video card (my hdmi is being used) so my question is if i have a DVI to HDMI adapter will it look the same as HDMI

No

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

No

Will it make a noticeable difference 

In my experience they work perfectly with zero noticeable difference unless you have an option like Dynamic Super Resolution (AMD) or the nVidia equivalent to increase DPI and overall image quality :)

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

3 minutes ago, AddisonHawke said:

i am looking into getting a new monitor but i only have a single hdmi port a vga cable and DVI port on my video card (my hdmi is being used) so my question is if i have a DVI to HDMI adapter will it look the same as HDMI With no adapter

Are you sure your monitor doesn't have DVI? I've yet to see a monitor that doesn't. To answer your question, no, it shouldn't look any different. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, Mkfish said:

In my experience they work perfectly with zero noticeable difference unless you have an option like Dynamic Super Resolution (AMD) or the nVidia equivalent to increase DPI and overall image quality :)

Thank you i appreciate your help 

no 

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Are you sure your monitor doesn't have DVI? I've yet to see a monitor that doesn't. To answer your question, no, it shouldn't look any different. 

No it only has vga or hdmi

HDMI is digital, VGA is Analog. See the problem. You need an active adapter. Even then Im pretty sure VGA cant do HD. However you can covert VGA to DVI pretty easily. But keep in mind I would not count on getting full HD. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

HDMI is digital, VGA is Analog. See the problem. You need an active adapter. Even then Im pretty sure VGA cant do HD. 

im talking about dvi to hdmi not vga

Just now, AddisonHawke said:

im talking about dvi to hdmi not vga

Then that case you should be able to buy a cable with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other end. Sorry I miss read the post. I have one of these cables. Or you can just buy a simple adapter. 

Amazon do incredibly cheap cables/adapters that work brilliantly (from experience)
You're lucky that the 970 comes with HDMI 2.0 output ports, on the R9 Fury I just bought the HDMI is only 1.4 which means 4K(UHD) only runs at 30hz... 
I had to buy a £30 display port 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter to finally get 4k(UHD) @ 60hz.. it was totally worth it though ^_^

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Just now, Donut417 said:

Then that case you should be able to buy a cable with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other end. Sorry I miss read the post. I have one of these cables. Or you can just buy a simple adapter. 

Ok, thanks for the wisdom

Get the 6 feet atleast ... I got a double pack of 3 feet and they were so, so short I had to buy longer ones xD 6 feet I find is good... YMMV

Just now, Mkfish said:

Get the 6 feet atleast ... I got a double pack of 3 feet and they were so, so short I had to buy longer ones xD 6 feet I find is good... YMMV

thanks