My First Build.. Im lost!

George8D

It will be something I am going to consider getting back into :P

Then thats a solid point. Let me give it a shot to create something. Wich programs will you consider to use? 

Edit: orange looks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1MNkk

Few things, I am not sure if you need peripherals. Because you said you came from console gaming, wich is useally a tv and controller. So I added them into the build. As we have no info about that.

GPU: I went with the Zotac one since it has orange! If you don't trust them, then the EVGA one is perfectly fine. I don't suggest to buy a SC version since you can do that yourself. But get the ACX cooler! 

CPU: As you said yourself, the i7 because you might get back into video editing. 

Mobo: The only orange board out there with haswell. 

Storage: 2TB since video editing does require alot off space depending on the programs, and it's not that much more then a 1TB. For SSD the EVO is flat out best bang for buck. 

PSU: 650W is plenty for OCing the CPU/GPU. I don't really suggest it if you later want to SLI.

Sound card: Asus Xonar Phoebus is just awesome for gaming and music. 

Fans and leds: I went with white fans, since you don't want to go crazy with orange. I did put in an orange led strip, but you could even consider to use a white one aswell. 

Peripherals: Orange keyboard, great for gaming. I suggested the mouse I currently use. For monitor, this is one slick looking monitor. IPS aswell wich looks awesome. With very slim sides so if you want to use multiple monitors, it will look great. 

Hopefully this helps. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

If it's gonna be used for gaming, you don't need 4770K, you can go with 4670K or 8350 instead. You can go with cheaper RAM, maybe Mushkin Blackline 8GB if you don't mind black heatsinks... For the cooler if you'd like water cooler, H100i  costs only 83 pounds. For the GPU, you can wait for R9 series AMD cards to see how that performs, but 780 is awesome card regardless.

Case: Xigmatek Alfar (Black) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 @3.2GHz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600MHz | GFX: Gigabyte GTX 660Ti 2GB
Cooler: beQuiet! Shadow Rock | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | HDD: Seagate 'Barracuda' 2TB| OS: Windows 8.1 PRO (64-bit) | PSU: Zalman ZM600-GT 600W 80+ Bronze
 Screen: ASUS VS228 | Mouse: Razer Naga Molten | Headphones: Qpad QH-85 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 w/ Cherry MX Blue

If it's gonna be used for gaming, you don't need 4770K, you can go with 4670K or 8350 instead. You can go with cheaper RAM, maybe Mushkin Blackline 8GB if you don't mind black heatsinks... For the cooler if you'd like water cooler, H100i  costs only 83 pounds. For the GPU, you can wait for R9 series AMD cards to see how that performs, but 780 is awesome card regardless.

He is looking to go back into video editing. 16GB off ram is good to have for that aswell, it matches his color scheme he is going for. The H100i doesn't fit into his case. Aswell he might plan to later get a costum watercooling loop.  

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

He is looking to go back into video editing. 16GB off ram is good to have for that aswell, it matches his color scheme he is going for. The H100i doesn't fit into his case. Aswell he might plan to later get a costum watercooling loop.  

I predominantly used most of the creative suite from adobe, paid for it for 6 months but had no pc capable enough. the sony vaio E that i'm currently using at the moment just crashes before it can even load after effects :(. I'm currently trying to get my head around where to begin choosing what parts by which manufacturers. Only managed to figure out which coolant to order :P

Then thats a solid point. Let me give it a shot to create something. Wich programs will you consider to use? 

Edit: orange looks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1MNkk

Few things, I am not sure if you need peripherals. Because you said you came from console gaming, wich is useally a tv and controller. So I added them into the build. As we have no info about that.

GPU: I went with the Zotac one since it has orange! If you don't trust them, then the EVGA one is perfectly fine. I don't suggest to buy a SC version since you can do that yourself. But get the ACX cooler! 

CPU: As you said yourself, the i7 because you might get back into video editing. 

Mobo: The only orange board out there with haswell. 

Storage: 2TB since video editing does require alot off space depending on the programs, and it's not that much more then a 1TB. For SSD the EVO is flat out best bang for buck. 

PSU: 650W is plenty for OCing the CPU/GPU. I don't really suggest it if you later want to SLI.

Sound card: Asus Xonar Phoebus is just awesome for gaming and music. 

Fans and leds: I went with white fans, since you don't want to go crazy with orange. I did put in an orange led strip, but you could even consider to use a white one aswell. 

Peripherals: Orange keyboard, great for gaming. I suggested the mouse I currently use. For monitor, this is one slick looking monitor. IPS aswell wich looks awesome. With very slim sides so if you want to use multiple monitors, it will look great. 

Hopefully this helps. 

thanks for doing that build bud!, took onboard the 2tb drive for storage in the website im purchasing the parts through. as for peripherals i do have a Roccat Kone [+], which unfortunately the usb connecter is held together with duct tape :( I did try to use a logitech after my first Kone but couldn't adjust so bought the Kone+. Reason i have this mouse is back in the day I used to play runescape on my pc but as the game got more advanced my hardware just couldnt keep up so i switched to xbox 360. Im thinking about forgetting the peripherals and making do with the monitor I have, my broken kone and buying a cheapo keyboard and going for a watercooling loop.

Case aside, it looks pretty solid. Completely agree with the 4770k if there's going to be video editing involved btw.

What do you have water cooling wise?

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

Case aside, it looks pretty solid. Completely agree with the 4770k if there's going to be video editing involved btw.

What do you have water cooling wise?

mayhems pastel gigabyte orange 1l coolant :P im still trying to figure which are the correct parts to order! 

:)

Well mayhems is a good start. Some other big brands are EK waterblock, XSPC, Swiftech, Primochill, Bitspower and Monsoon. There are others to mention but these will keep you busy for a little while :)

To ease your burden a bit, unless you go with a bay reservoir/pump combo, get the Swiftech MCP655. It's kind of the be all and end all of the pump landscape right now. One less thing to worry about!

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

:)

Well mayhems is a good start. Some other big brands are EK waterblock, XSPC, Swiftech, Primochill, Bitspower and Monsoon. There are others to mention but these will keep you busy for a little while :)

To ease your burden a bit, unless you go with a bay reservoir/pump combo, get the Swiftech MCP655. It's kind of the be all and end all of the pump landscape right now. One less thing to worry about!

the parts thats confusing me is what and how much of everything I need :P

I would do the opposite. Start with the neat peripherals, and save up later to upgrade to a custom loop. By then you'll know if you really want it, and you'll be more aware of the watercooling market if you stick around on the forum and all. It just makes more sense that way.

Free society however :D , so for a custom loop you'll need:

• A reservoir
  • A pump
  • A waterblock for your CPU and graphics card
  • Radiators (one is enough if you just cool the CPU)
  • Tubing to connect it all
  • Fittings
  • Time

The thing is, if you have to ask (and there's nothing wrong with that), maybe it's good to wait a bit, watch some build logs and videos to get a little more familiar with it. And in the mean time, enjoy a fully decked out gaming PC.

Now if you want it, and you're willing to go over budget, we're happy to help of course. But you should still watch videos. Then more videos.

EDIT: That case is kind of terrible for watercooling. The specifications on their website actually read "watercooling: no" so you'll probably have to upgrade that too. Which is nice because you can get a much better looking one now  :P. With h100i support!

just noticed your edit here. where did you read that on the website? And ive kind of gone abit too far with the case now to go back :P:P

"For enhanced control and expandability, NZXT includes dual radiator support, quad watercooling cutouts, and an integrated fan controller with up to five 20W channels" 

post-7449-0-69969200-1381425313_thumb.pn

A single 120 rad in the roof won't be enough for this. You want at least a 240 rad for each item being cooled, in this case a CPU and a graphics card (and maybe the MOBO?).

A 240 rad plus a 360 rad (one dual rad and one triple rad if you will) would be a better config for this, it's what most people would do. The phantom doesn't seem to support that.  And I just find it so ugly :P

So you can get a case with better WC support (Fractal design refine r2? Corsair 750D? etc) or mod your phantom but I don't know how well it would turn out in terms of routing and clearances and all; it's not ideal

Edit: Watercooling cutouts are useless unless you're using an external waterbox. It's a hole at the back of the case that lets you route your tubing to an external enclosure; just saying it won't be a factor in this case (get it?)

attachicon.gifphantomspecs.png

A single 120 rad in the roof won't be enough for this. You want at least a 240 rad for each item being cooled, in this case a CPU and a graphics card (and maybe the MOBO?).

A 240 rad plus a 360 rad (one dual rad and one triple rad if you will) would be a better config for this, it's what most people would do. The phantom doesn't seem to support that.  And I just find it so ugly :P

So you can get a case with better WC support (Fractal design refine r2? Corsair 750D? etc) or mod your phantom but I don't know how well it would turn out in terms of routing and clearances and all; it's not ideal

Edit: Watercooling cutouts are useless unless you're using an external waterbox. It's a hole at the back of the case that lets you route your tubing to an external enclosure; just saying it won't be a factor in this case (get it?)

I was thinking putting a duel rad at the top, and a single at the bottom front or at the back? or both? I would change cases but I've gone to far with the one I have :P

Well the ideal would be dual in the top and triple in the front (or vice versa depending on the case) but you'd have to mod that in yourself and I don't know that case so I can't help there sadly. But basically consider having a dual and one triple to be your goal that'll be fairly silent and yield good temps

If anyone has links to WC builds in a phantom that might be helpful, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Are you comfortable modding your case? Also what have you done on it?

Well the ideal would be dual in the top and triple in the front (or vice versa depending on the case) but you'd have to mod that in yourself and I don't know that case so I can't help there sadly. But basically consider having a dual and one triple to be your goal that'll be fairly silent and yield good temps

If anyone has links to WC builds in a phantom that might be helpful, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Are you comfortable modding your case? Also what have you done on it?

I feel reasonably comfortable modding it. currently stripped it completely to respray. remove all wires/fans etc Prepared majority of panels for paint. what kind of mods do you think i could do?

Not much really, just take the measurements of the fans and rads you'll use then find a way to fit them into the case and drill the holes where appropriate, or add supporting brackets or whatnot. I suppose airflow will be sufficient already.

Not much really, just take the measurements of the fans and rads you'll use then find a way to fit them into the case and drill the holes where appropriate, or add supporting brackets or whatnot. I suppose airflow will be sufficient already.

Im thinking putting in the biggest rad in the top i could fit, a single on the rear and a single on the front. 

Im thinking putting in the biggest rad in the top i could fit, a single on the rear and a single on the front. 

That might make for long runs and a lot of tubing, though. Don't you have room for a double or triple in the front?

l9e9.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

Looking at the image. Maybe having a single rad at A, Going up to another single (or possibly double) D, Through to the top mounted Rad, Then to the CPU to a single rad at C then to the GPU? or is that to long :S

Edit: Mother Of god that image is huge @Rekhyt

I say remove the bottom drive cage and fit your 240 rad down there. Single rads will be messy and look terrible. The two intakes down there will be a bit restricted but you can dremel that or enusre a lot of air gets in from the front. You can put your drives in the front bay or in the top of the drive bay if you don't remove it up to the top.

I drew something up:

post-7449-0-29691600-1381440824_thumb.jp

This is completely eyeballed and not to scale. How does it look with the case in front of you?

I say remove the bottom drive cage and fit your 240 rad down there. Single rads will be messy and look terrible. The two intakes down there will be a bit restricted but you can dremel that or enusre a lot of air gets in from the front. You can put your drives in the front bay or in the top of the drive bay if you don't remove it up to the top.

I drew something up:

attachicon.gifloop.jpg

This is completely eyeballed and not to scale. How does it look with the case in front of you?

I like how this works! The case is in my workshop down the road from me at the moment :( but tomorrow I will get out the tape measure and see what I can fit :)

Ok, sounds good. Keep the thickness of the fans in mind, as well as the tubing radius to avoid kinking.

Also if you want to add a single at the back just for funsies it would work nicely between the cpu and gpu blocks. 

Ok, sounds good. Keep the thickness of the fans in mind, as well as the tubing radius to avoid kinking.

Also if you want to add a single at the back just for funsies it would work nicely between the cpu and gpu blocks.

Looks like I could fit a double on the bottom once the hdd cage is removed with ease. And at the top I could fit a tripple, but that could possibly mean modifieing the top to fit 3 fans. But if I was to put single in the rear and a double on top without to much modification. Would that be as beneficial?

If you go watercooling, don't buy the ACX cooler on the EVGA card, just get the reference one. It's basicly the same card - just with another cooler. 

Looks like I could fit a double on the bottom once the hdd cage is removed with ease. And at the top I could fit a tripple, but that could possibly mean modifieing the top to fit 3 fans. But if I was to put single in the rear and a double on top without to much modification. Would that be as beneficial?

That's a bit short; I mean in terms of rad surface, it's like having a h100i on the CPU and a single rad for the GPU, all on the same loop. Also if you go custom loop only to have one more rad slot than by using an AIO cooler, your "return on investment" isn't very high, in terms of silence and temps vs. the added work and cost of a custom loop.

This being said it would work. You can cool a CPU with a 240 rad like a h100 and a card like the Ares II seems to work fine with a single rad. So what I'm really trying to say is, you won't crash or overheat or anything, but if it was me I wouldn't drop under a 360 + 240 rad config if I was going custom, so as to really enjoy the advantages of a custom loop