Choice between 8350, 4670K, E3 1230 V3

Please do not insult other users, no matter the situation. 

I was meaning this is a joking manner, i apologize if this was taking the wrong way...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

My votes for the xeon or the 8350!

There is basically zero point in getting the 4670k at this point in time IMO.

unless you live in a country where electricity isn't below $0.1/kWH and you have to pay for your utilities on your own.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I was meaning this is a joking manner, i apologize if this was taking the wrong way...

It should be fine, we're all cool I think.

The only other tech community I've really posted on much is /g/ and you guys are a thousand times more helpful than they have ever been so thanks guys.

OT: at this point I'm definitely leaning towards the 8350!

Yeah, grab yourself the 8350, considering what you're using it for. That way you'll save money on the CPU and maybe even the mobo so that'll leave you with a bit to spend on a better something else!

I'd go with the xeon. you could get more performance with a OC 8350 but if the OC becomes unstable, will your dad be able to fix it or will you always be around?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

How is anyone being a dickhead oc'ing will improve performance in a lot of games 

yeah like 3-4 fps. for gaming you need a better gpu . pshhh...

Go with the xeon 100%. not even if you OC the fx 8350 it won`t keep up with intel. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=836   pay attention to 'lower is better'

I wish to echo what has been said here, I would recommend an AMD FX eight core processor an 8350 or even an 8320 if you wish to save a couple more bucks.
An NZXT Havik 140 CPU cooler will take your CPU to 4.5Ghz Prime95 stable, I'd feel hard pressed recommending any lower end cooler for 4.5Ghz.

Good motherboards in terms of features & overclocking potential include the Asus M5A97 R2.0, Asus M5A99X R2.0, Gigabyte 990FX UD3 & Asus M5A99FX R2.0.
I don't recommend the asrock boards as they have lower end VRM cooling which negatively affects overclocking potential, I would also avoid the MSI GD65 board due to the same reasons, however the MSI GD80 is excellent.

My FX 8320 is overclocked to 4.44Ghz on a Sabertooth 990FX board at 1.38v & LLC set to Ultra High.
Cooled by a Noctua NH-C14, which is slightly less effective than the NZXT Havik 140.

+1 for the AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 with some serious OC'ing.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

I'd go with the xeon. you could get more performance with a OC 8350 but if the OC becomes unstable, will your dad be able to fix it or will you always be around?

Yeah I was thinking this initially, as my dad will have no idea what happened if it becomes unstable and that means I gotta spend my own time fixing it all up :P

However I do think I'll go with the 8350 and any overclocking I do will be pretty minor until he REALLY needs a performance increase.

Yeah I was thinking this initially, as my dad will have no idea what happened if it becomes unstable and that means I gotta spend my own time fixing it all up :P

However I do think I'll go with the 8350 and any overclocking I do will be pretty minor until he REALLY needs a performance increase.

That's why you test if oc's are stable.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

if a stock i7 4770 score better than fx 9590(fx 8350 at 5ghz) ,how is that better with oc than the xeon ? and you need a serious board and cooler. no way man

Everytime I'm wanting to encode a video with my 8350 I'll reboot, and load up the default settings. The performance you see from 4Ghz to 5Ghz in my own personal tests (using Sony/Windows & Corel video software) there was minimal speed/time difference in encoding 1080p video with multi-channel audio after including music overlaying the video track. 

I'd run it bone stock, shut off Turbo Mode, and set your LLC to Ultra High. Done. 

CORSAIR AIR 540 | CORSAIR AX1200i | GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 REV 3.0

AMD 8350 Vishera 5.0GHz @ 1.525V | CORSAIR H100i Push/Pull | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB  DDR3 1600Mhz

KINGSTON HYPER 3K 120GB (2) RAID 0 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | CORSAIR AX1200i

if a stock i7 4770 score better than fx 9590(fx 8350 at 5ghz) ,how is that better with oc than the xeon ?

I should have said performance per dollar, though in some cases the 8350 can beat a 4770

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I vote the xeon, mainly due to the fact it'll be extremely stable and would last a long time.

Basically, xeon if you want a smaller form factor. Otherwise, 8320.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would go with the 8350 since you will be using this for editing which will make use all of the cores or you could get the 8320 and overclock it. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would go with the 8350 since you will be using this for editing which will make use all of the cores or you could get the 8320 and overclock it. 

the xeon smokes it 

either chip will be more than enough for what he wants however i would choose the xeon if the price doesn't matter

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1742151/4670k-8350.html

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1721177/4670k-amd-fx8350.html#.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1408955/fx-8350-vs-i5-4670k-in-terms-of-gaming

3570k on 4.2 outperforms in many games FX 8350 on 4.6 so you are talking that 4670k will be worse? it's funny. guys you need not to be AMD fanboys and read about intels newer cpus more and look at benches. do not give wrong advice to people who doesnot know about PC harware much and needs help. 

hahaha listen to linus  :D  3570k 4.2 GHZ vs FX 8350 4.6 GHZ wins 3570k so go and buy i5 4670k it will be even faster 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICVeN6WEGgg

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.