Internet won't work after swapping graphics card! Please help!

jewishdolphins
Go to solution Solved by KE2012,
7 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

it says "the best driver software for your device is already installed. windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date: intel(R) ethernet connection (2) 1218-V"

and i tried disabling and reenabling and its not working.

Alrighty then. 

You can try to uninstall the driver and then see if it allows you to reinstall it. If it does (It should) do that. If this still fails you will need to put the CD in from your mobo and reinstall the driver from scratch.  

Anyway I'm going to be off for a while as its getting late where I hail from (Almost 3 in the morning), so unless somebody else answers you might have to give me a while to get back to you.  

Anyway to put your mind a bit at ease till next time, you wont need a new $300 mobo if we cant get it going as you can get incredibly cheap things like this to replace the ethernet port on your mobo.

Took my card out, cleaned a fan or two with a can of dust spray, placed my new graphics card in and literally everything works except for the Internet. I'm on direct Ethernet cable connection. So what do I do? I disconnect the Ethernet cable, connect it to my Xbox and the cable was working properly and so is my router/modem. However my pc seems to work fine except for the Internet. Even if connected. 

I did not uninstall any drivers or anything. I already switched back to my old gpu and same thing happens. Everything is perfect, but no internet. 

Could it it mean a broken motherboard? I don't see scratches. Idk how I can test and see if it's my motherboard. The light for the Ethernet on my pc still lights up and everything else works fine. How can I possibly fix this? 

1 hour ago, jewishdolphins said:

Took my card out, cleaned a fan or two with a can of dust spray, placed my new graphics card in and literally everything works except for the Internet. I'm on direct Ethernet cable connection. So what do I do? I disconnect the Ethernet cable, connect it to my Xbox and the cable was working properly and so is my router/modem. However my pc seems to work fine except for the Internet. Even if connected. 

I did not uninstall any drivers or anything. I already switched back to my old gpu and same thing happens. Everything is perfect, but no internet. 

Could it it mean a broken motherboard? I don't see scratches. Idk how I can test and see if it's my motherboard. The light for the Ethernet on my pc still lights up and everything else works fine. How can I possibly fix this? 

I assume you have tried rebooting the router/modem and the pc? Do you have a ethernet card or is it the on board jack?

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

Does your PC detect the router?  Or is it as if nothing is plugged into the port?

33 minutes ago, MoonKnightSpidey said:

I assume you have tried rebooting the router/modem and the pc? Do you have a ethernet card or is it the on board jack?

33 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

Does your PC detect the router?  Or is it as if nothing is plugged into the port?

Yes on board jack and yes I restarted modem and router. And it is as if nothing is plugged into the port. It's just a red "x" whether if plugged in or not 

58 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

Yes on board jack and yes I restarted modem and router. And it is as if nothing is plugged into the port. It's just a red "x" whether if plugged in or not 

Red X means that it is not plugged in to the router. Must be an issue with your jack. Buy some cheap ethernet card and it should work, or just use wifi (if you have a wifi card) until you buy an ethernet card.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

15 minutes ago, MoonKnightSpidey said:

Red X means that it is not plugged in to the router. Must be an issue with your jack. Buy some cheap ethernet card and it should work, or just use wifi (if you have a wifi card) until you buy an ethernet card.

But why would it be the jack? It was working this morning. All I did is switch the graphics cards and reconnected everything...the jack still lights up

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, jewishdolphins said:

But why would it be the jack? It was working this morning. All I did is switch the graphics cards and reconnected everything...the jack still lights up

When you unplug the cable what is the icon for the internet? 

4 minutes ago, MoonKnightSpidey said:

When you unplug the cable what is the icon for the internet? 

This is the icon. It's the same whether if plugged in or not

image.jpeg

58 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

This is the icon. It's the same whether if plugged in or not

You said it working on your xbox, are you sure when you plug it in your xbox isn't on the wifi still? 

8 minutes ago, MoonKnightSpidey said:

You said it working on your xbox, are you sure when you plug it in your xbox isn't on the wifi still? 

Nope. I disconnected from the wifi before I tried it.

Have you tried right click repair? Sometimes my windows 10 buggers up like this and that is all it takes to get me going again. Have you also tried updating / reinstalling drivers?

You could try the network troubleshooter.

10 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

Have you tried right click repair? Sometimes my windows 10 buggers up like this and that is all it takes to get me going again. Have you also tried updating / reinstalling drivers?

nothing says "Repair". I just do troubleshooting and it just says that there may be a software or hardware issue. It does the same exact thing when i troubleshoot without an ethernet plugged in. and how can i reinstall/update drivers without internet? Im not even sure which drivers i had installed in the first place.... 

Please have patience with me. this is literally a $1600 computer and i care about it more than my car lol.

1 minute ago, jewishdolphins said:

nothing says "Repair". I just do troubleshooting and it just says that there may be a software or hardware issue. It does the same exact thing when i troubleshoot without an ethernet plugged in. and how can i reinstall/update drivers without internet? Im not even sure which drivers i had installed in the first place.... 

Please have patience with me. this is literally a $1600 computer and i care about it more than my car lol.

If it hasn't come up repair don't worry about it. Press Win button and type 'Device Manager' look for a tab called 'Network adapters' Has any of the options in this tab got a little yellow exclimation mark or simmilar icon? 

4 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

If it hasn't come up repair don't worry about it. Press Win button and type 'Device Manager' look for a tab called 'Network adapters' Has any of the options in this tab got a little yellow exclimation mark or simmilar icon? 

you are a genius! yes it does. it says "intel(R) ethernet connection (2) 1218-V" and has an exclimation mark next to it

2 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

you are a genius! yes it does. it says "intel(R) ethernet connection (2) 1218-V" and has an exclimation mark next to it

Righty, right click, go into properties and what does it say? 

EDIT: Does it say " "intel(R) ethernet connection (2) 1218-V " In general? 

intel(R) ethernet connection (2) 1218-V
device type: network adapters

manufacturer: intel corporation

Device status:

this device cannot start. (code 10)

operation failed

the requested operation was unsuccessful

5 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

intel(R) ethernet connection (2) 1218-V
device type: network adapters

manufacturer: intel corporation

Device status:

this device cannot start. (code 10)

operation failed

the requested operation was unsuccessful

Now we are getting somewhere. 

Code 10 can usually mean 

• Device Manager can't start the device.
  • One of the drivers that the device needs does not start.
  • Device Manager has insufficient information to recognize the error that is bubbled up by the device driver.

So basically you have a driver issue or hardware, lets hope for the former. Do you have the CD that came with your mobo? You might need to get the drivers from it.  

9 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

Now we are getting somewhere. 

Code 10 can usually mean 

So basically you have a driver issue or hardware, lets hope for the former. Do you have the CD that came with your mobo? You might need to get the drivers from it.  

you are literally saving me like 300 dollars on a new mobo if you pull through on this! and yes i have everything that came with my mobo. what do i do? 

and also i dont really remember using a CD to get my drivers. I remember this because I do not have an optical drive and the only time i had one was when i temporarily connected one just to install windows 10 when i first built this pc.

5 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

you are literally saving me like 300 dollars on a new mobo if you pull through on this! and yes i have everything that came with my mobo. what do i do? 

and also i dont really remember using a CD to get my drivers. I remember this because I do not have an optical drive and the only time one was when i temporarily connected one just to install windows 10 when i first built this pc.

Well, I was going to suggest you put the cd in and install the drivers but if you have no optical drive this isn't happening. 

Lets try this instead. Right click on the troubled adpater -> Properties -> Driver

Now you should have a few options, if it is available first try 'roll back drivers' if this fails or is greyed out try 'update driver' see if it can find anything on your computer to update with. 

Also just out of curiosity try disabling the adapter then re-enabling it, see if this gives it the kick in the goolies that it needs. 

i have an optical drive that i can connect. pain in the *** but i can find the connector for it on my psu if that is what will fix this crap. i will try what you said first though. give me a sec.

it says "the best driver software for your device is already installed. windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date: intel(R) ethernet connection (2) 1218-V"

7 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

Alrighty then. 

You can try to uninstall the driver and then see if it allows you to reinstall it. If it does (It should) do that. If this still fails you will need to put the CD in from your mobo and reinstall the driver from scratch.  

Anyway I'm going to be off for a while as its getting late where I hail from (Almost 3 in the morning), so unless somebody else answers you might have to give me a while to get back to you.  

Anyway to put your mind a bit at ease till next time, you wont need a new $300 mobo if we cant get it going as you can get incredibly cheap things like this to replace the ethernet port on your mobo.

yeah. only other weird thing i saw was my gpu usage going from 0 to 100 every second in msi afterburner. im assuming thats cause i havent been able to install anything for the new card tho. thanks so much for the help.