Intel speedstep issues

I have an Intel i5-6600k which I can overclock easily to 4.3GHz, didn't try more because I don't feel like it.

Anyway, it's stable with 1.220 V Vcore.

However intel speedstep technology down clock it to less than 1.0GHz all the time even in game impacting seriously performances.

It forces me to leave it off. As it works well on non game related stuffs, and it reduces consumption I'd like to let it on.

Any insight on how to make it not down clock drastically all the time ? 

4 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

I have an Intel i5-6600k which I can overclock easily to 4.3GHz, didn't try more because I don't feel like it.

Anyway, it's stable with 1.220 V Vcore.

However intel speedstep technology down clock it to less than 1.0GHz all the time even in game impacting seriously performances.

It forces me to leave it off. As it works well on non game related stuffs, and it reduces consumption I'd like to let it on.

Any insight on how to make it not down clock drastically all the time ? 

Try using the Performance power mode in gaming?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Just now, vong said:

Try using the Performance power mode in gaming?

How would I access that?

Windows 10 is a bit of a retard when it comes to accessing parameters.

Didn't found an utility software for that either

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

How would I access that?

Windows 10 is a bit of a retard when it comes to accessing parameters.

Didn't found an utility software for that either

I haven't used W10 yet so I wouldn't have a clue. Go to the start menu and type in power options and you'll find it. It'll give you 3 options (Balanced, Power Saver and Perormance).

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 minute ago, vong said:

I haven't used W10 yet so I wouldn't have a clue. Go to the start menu and type in power options and you'll find it. It'll give you 3 options (Balanced, Power Saver and Perormance).

Hmm that.

On performance mode it never ever downclocks which let the cpu idling at 15 to 20W while otherwise it's at 5W on idle.

Just now, laminutederire said:

Hmm that.

On performance mode it never ever downclocks which let the cpu idling at 15 to 20W while otherwise it's at 5W on idle.

Not really a problem, CPUs should never be idling anyway :P.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Not really a problem, CPUs should never be idling anyway :P.

Unless you let your computer on all day to download game :P

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

Hmm that.

Much easier to change the power modes than having to find out why speeds are always downclocked.

1 minute ago, vong said:

Much easier to change the power modes than having to find out why speeds are always downclocked.

Yeah sure, thanks.

Sucks that you can't define program specific settings 

7 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Unless you let your computer on all day to download game :P

Usage.png

Got up to 29 days before I had to shut it down. As I said, CPUs should never be idling.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Usage.png

Got up to 29 days before I had to shut it down. As I said, CPUs should never be idling.

What do you do with that machine? :P

Just now, laminutederire said:

What do you do with that machine? :P

Distributed computing.

Rather than throwing compute power away when I'm not using my PC (or when doing potato stuff like watching a video or writing a text), I donate it to scientists that need as much processing power as possible. You know, it's better to help research a drug for zika or AIDS rather than just let the CPU downclock and sit on it's hands doing nothing.

That's why I say, your PC should never be idling. Rather than letting it's resources go to waste, let someone else that NEEDS them use it for a greater cause.

10 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

That's why I say, your PC should never be idling. Rather than letting it's resources go to waste, let someone else that NEEDS them use it for a greater cause.

He can always let it idle and donate the would-be power bill to those same scientists, let them pick their hardware :P