Gaming Headphone Setup Help

daviden

So I'm a pretty casual gamer, I play lots of co-op games with friends like portal 2 or minercraft etc., but I don't find myself using a microphone that much if at all, I really only would need to use one on rare occasions in which case the ps4 included earbuds's mic works fine with my pc. So i figured instead of spending money on a mic I would rarely use I could put the money towards more expensive headphones. I thought going for the legendary Audio-Technica ATH M50Xs would be a great choice but from what I've heard open back heaphones are where I should be going for gaming. Should I go for a different pair of open backs or just stick with the M50Xs?

the reason you typically get an open back headphone is for the sound stage, for gaming it helps you pin point where your enemy/target is. For games like portal and minecraft, i don't really see much of an advantage. Either way, from what i've heard, for closed back headphones, the m50x's already have a good sound stage. So, if you're willing to put down the money, i'd say the m50x's are a good choice.

i7-7700k @4.9Hz/MSI GTX 1070/Gigabyte z270x-Ultra Gaming/2tb Samsung 850 Evo/16gb Corsair Vengence LPX/Lian Li 011 Dynamic/Corsair RM750x

Glorious Model O/Corsair K70 MX Brown

Windows 10 64bit

As a m40x owner I would say the benefit is more in the longer cord than the audio quality for games. The RIG 500E is a great gaming headset that comes with both open back and closed ear cups plus a mic and goes on sale for $99.99 I've seen. Open really is better in my opinion. The only problem is that I think the cord is kind of short.

Just now, D_s_stone56 said:

the reason you typically get an open back headphone is for the sound stage, for gaming it helps you pin point where your enemy/target is. For games like portal and minecraft, i don't really see much of an advantage. Either way, from what i've heard, for closed back headphones, the m50x's already have a good sound stage. So, if you're willing to put down the money, i'd say the m50x's are a good choice.

Ya I don't really play any games that would require spacial awareness like CS:GO or anything so the closed backs should be fine