Planned out my build...is it good?

Trav_X

Goal of this build: a gaming powerhouse that is under $1000 USD that can play on my single 1080p monitor now, and possible upgrade to either Surround 1080, single 1440 then maybe triple 1440, or a 3440x1440. 

My prerequisites were 

- Good, powerful GPU that is good now and I can run in dual GPU eventually

- 4 core Intel CPU that I could upgrade to a newer chip and chipset in the future (this is a placeholder until like maybe next year)

- reliable motherboard, PSU, etc. that is from a good brand and doesn't suck

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Trav_X/saved/bWxLrH

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($87.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($454.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $988.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-02 20:36 EDT-0400

let me know what to change or what to get better!

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

if you havent bought already, a z170 board is better for upgradibility, and they are usually around the $120-150 range. otherwise it looks really good.

oh, and i would recommend a different case, my friend owned that EXACT case before getting a p400s and cable management is almost nonexistant, barely enough room to fit a 24 pin behind the mobo and close the back panel without it flexing... yeah...

the NZXT source 210 windowed is better for cheaper, and the s340 is even better, but aournd $20-30 more expensive.

Just now, Gokufighther said:

if you havent bought already, a z170 board is better for upgradibility, and they are usually around the $120-150 range. otherwise it looks really good.

oh, and i would recommend a different case, my friend owned that EXACT case before getting a p400s and cable management is almost nonexistant, barely enough room to fit a 24 pin behind the mobo and close the back panel without it flexing... yeah...

the NZXT source 210 windowed is better for cheaper, and the s340 is even better, but aournd $20-30 more expensive.

Pretty much everything he said: Don't get the spec 02 it's garbage. Z170 is a safer bet for Kaby Lakes eventually, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I kinda question the pairing of a 1070 and i5 6500.

there will be no bottlenecks, dont worry lol... its basically a minor underclocked 6600k that cant be overclocked... not everyone likes overclocking. not to mention i believe this processor is $50-75 cheaper than its k brother

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

I kinda question the pairing of a 1070 and i5 6500.

Why tho

2 minutes ago, Gokufighther said:

I see I see....I didn't go for the source 210 cause I saw a video and the people were really upset about the hard drive mounting, how it's like old school and it isn't like tool-less or whatever. I'll take a closer look, I do kinda like the look of a windowed black 210.  Thanks :) 

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Pretty much everything he said: Don't get the spec 02 it's garbage. Z170 is a safer bet for Kaby Lakes eventually, etc.

I heard a rumor that this will be the last series of chips in the LGA 1151, or if not then the last set on Z170. The rest would be on the same socket but better chipsets. I'm not sure, but Z170 is a little more expensive so I'll look into that. Thanks :) 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Just now, Gokufighther said:

there will be no bottlenecks, dont worry lol... its basically a minor underclocked 6600k that cant be overclocked... not everyone likes overclocking. not to mention i believe this processor is $50-75 cheaper than its k brother

Yeah it is. At my local MicroCenter it's $179.99 USD for the 6500, much cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. And a 6600k is $209.99 as well. It boosts up to 3.6 ghz, higher than my MSI laptop hits with a 6700HQ so it should be nice for me.

About bottlenecks, do you think it could handle dual 1070s? 

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Just now, Trav_X said:

Why tho

I see I see....I didn't go for the source 210 cause I saw a video and the people were really upset about the hard drive mounting, how it's like old school and it isn't like tool-less or whatever. I'll take a closer look, I do kinda like the look of a windowed black 210.  Thanks :) 

I heard a rumor that this will be the last series of chips in the LGA 1151, or if not then the last set on Z170. The rest would be on the same socket but better chipsets. I'm not sure, but Z170 is a little more expensive so I'll look into that. Thanks :) 

the s340 is revamped a bit, some things were changed, but the hdd mounting is the worst of the issues. it is a beautiful case. also kaby lake is almost completely confirmed at this point and i have heard it will be 1151

1 minute ago, Trav_X said:

Yeah it is. At my local MicroCenter it's $179.99 USD for the 6500, much cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. And a 6600k is $209.99 as well. It boosts up to 3.6 ghz, higher than my MSI laptop hits with a 6700HQ so it should be nice for me.

About bottlenecks, do you think it could handle dual 1070s? 

probably not DUAL... nothing short of x99 would bottleneck that 1080p... but if you are going for higher pixel counts like surround 1080 or 1440, then there will be no issues since the gpus will be taxed to their full potential instead of waiting for the cpu to catch up in 1080p alone.

3 minutes ago, Gokufighther said:

the s340 is revamped a bit, some things were changed, but the hdd mounting is the worst of the issues. it is a beautiful case. also kaby lake is almost completely confirmed at this point and i have heard it will be 1151

It is 1151,its the new skylake

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

I might look into a Z170 board then, cause of it'll support Kaby Lake then at least that'll save me an upgrade in the future. 

1 minute ago, Gokufighther said:

probably not DUAL... nothing short of x99 would bottleneck that 1080p... but if you are going for higher pixel counts like surround 1080 or 1440, then there will be no issues since the gpus will be taxed to their full potential instead of waiting for the cpu to catch up in 1080p alone.

Right now I'm alone at a sole 1080p, but I really want to go surround, 1070 can handle triple 1080p but I'll need two to run triple 1440. I'm not really looking for single 4K right now cause that's kinda out of my ballpark in terms of performance. But thanks for the info. 

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Just now, Dresta said:

It is 1151,its the new skylake

I mean, if it works on Z170 then I'll probably consider doing that upgrade now instead of having to do it later :) thanks 

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

I would save the extra pennies for a 6600k (and a different case), but otherwise really nice!

Headphones:

Spoiler

Sony MDR V6 (DT 250 pads), restored 1987 AKG K240M 600ohm (Cosmos pads with dt250 filters), AKG K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm, Bose Ae2 & Sony MDR v150. All off of a Bravo V2 shuguang tube, Little Dot mkII with GE JAN 5654 tubes, a CEntrance Dacport slim and a UCA222.

PC:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z170s
  • RAM
    Crucial Ballistix (white)
  • GPU
    Asus 1070 Strix OC
  • Case
    Phanteks P400
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 pro, Seagate barracuda 1tb
  • PSU
    Evga G1 650W (regret)
  • Display(s)
    Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1920x1080 60hz 5ms & ASUS PB277Q 27" 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 240EX white
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (switching to linux soon)

Just now, Trav_X said:

I might look into a Z170 board then, cause of it'll support Kaby Lake then at least that'll save me an upgrade in the future. 

Right now I'm alone at a sole 1080p, but I really want to go surround, 1070 can handle triple 1080p but I'll need two to run triple 1440. I'm not really looking for single 4K right now cause that's kinda out of my ballpark in terms of performance. But thanks for the info. 

if you want a good monitor with thin bezels for 1080p though, the LG 27MP67HQ monitor is what i will be picking up next year. its nothing groundbreaking, but it is ips, 60hz, has VESA, and thin bezels

1 minute ago, Trav_X said:

I mean, if it works on Z170 then I'll probably consider doing that upgrade now instead of having to do it later :) thanks 

It will work

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

14 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Goal of this build: a gaming powerhouse that is under $1000 USD that can play on my single 1080p monitor now, and possible upgrade to either Surround 1080, single 1440 then maybe triple 1440, or a 3440x1440. 

My prerequisites were 

- Good, powerful GPU that is good now and I can run in dual GPU eventually

- 4 core Intel CPU that I could upgrade to a newer chip and chipset in the future (this is a placeholder until like maybe next year)

- reliable motherboard, PSU, etc. that is from a good brand and doesn't suck

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Trav_X/saved/bWxLrH

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($87.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($454.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $988.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-02 20:36 EDT-0400

let me know what to change or what to get better!

I don't see anything wrong.

However, if you do plan to upgrade to an unlocked K series CPU, get a Z170 mobo

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

2 minutes ago, Pauleh said:

I would save the extra pennies for a 6600k (and a different case), but otherwise really nice!

Thanks :) based on what other people have said, it seems the path I'll want to take is go for a 6500 now, and then once Kaby lake gets mainstream I can pick up a Kaby Lake i7 on the Z170 chip I'm gonna get now instead of H170. Thanks :) 

if you want a good monitor with thin bezels for 1080p though, the LG 27MP67HQ monitor is what i will be picking up next year. its nothing groundbreaking, but it is ips, 60hz, has VESA, and thin bezels

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely be looking into monitors soon so I can pick up some during Christmas or next year ;) my current Samsung monitor is kinda nice, but I didn't know until recently it's not that good. I've never owned an IPS panel, and this monitor now has relatively thick bezels and no vesa mount. 

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor-S27C230B/dp/B00C18YQ8Q

this is it xD just a cheap monitor for people like me who want a 27". Thanks for the monitor rec, I'll definitely look at that.

4 minutes ago, Dresta said:

It will work

Thanks ;) 

4 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

I don't see anything wrong.

However, if you do plan to upgrade to an unlocked K series CPU, get a Z170 mobo

Yeah I probably will now so I can get Kaby Lake on the LGA 1151 later

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

12 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Why tho

12 minutes ago, Gokufighther said:

Well some people have said that the 6600K can sometimes bottleneck the 1070.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, Trav_X said:

Yeah I probably will now so I can get Kaby Lake on the LGA 1151 later

In that case, for Z170 on a budget, I always recommend the Asus Z170-A

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

if my g3258 at 4.5ghz cant bottleneck a gtx 970, i think an i5 is fine with a 1070

I'm hoping it'll be okay once I push to surround 1080 and it pushes the limits of a 1070. I've heard other places that a 6500 will be okay ;) thanks for the info tho

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

1 minute ago, Gokufighther said:

if my g3258 at 4.5ghz cant bottleneck a gtx 970, i think an i5 is fine with a 1070

Just now, Trav_X said:

I'm hoping it'll be okay once I push to surround 1080 and it pushes the limits of a 1070. I've heard other places that a 6500 will be okay ;) thanks for the info tho

Yeah it might. It's like pairing a 980ti with one of those CPUs so it might be fine.

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Yeah it might. It's like pairing a 980ti with one of those CPUs so it might be fine.

How do you like your Z170 SLI PLUS

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

3 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Oh I don't have one yet, that's my planned build. It's MSI, it should be good.

4 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

would prolly get the carbon, it has rgb on it