FTP Server

ArkTheYO

Hey All,

i have created a FTP server using IIS which seems to work all fine on all the devices on my network but doesnt seem to work on devices outside the network, please help!

P.S.: I have done all the other necessary steps like port forwarding(creatinng port 21 and 20 on my router) and shutting down my antivirus as well as windows firewall! Even created port 21 on firewall ! please please help!

1 hour ago, ArkTheYO said:

Hey All,

i have created a FTP server using IIS which seems to work all fine on all the devices on my network but doesnt seem to work on devices outside the network, please help!

P.S.: I have done all the other necessary steps like port forwarding(creatinng port 21 and 20 on my router) and shutting down my antivirus as well as windows firewall! Even created port 21 on firewall ! please please help!

What do you mean outside the network? As in the internet?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

45 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

What do you mean outside the network? As in the internet?

Yes! 

Go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and test port 21

If it fails either your port forwarding isn't correct or the firewall is blocking it. Its very likely going to fail... but its quick to test and if it does pass then it eliminates a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Hey I have tried it a lot of times, it shows connection timed out all the time.  @Scheer please help! 

52 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

Hey I have tried it a lot of times, it shows connection timed out all the time.  @Scheer please help! 

Are you using your public ISP address and not your local sever address?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

18 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Are you using your public ISP address and not your local sever address?

If u r asking for what I am using while port checking then yes I am using my public ip address 

2 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

If u r asking for what I am using while port checking then yes I am using my public ip address 

Okay. One thing, the server did you assign a static IP address?

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

Okay. One thing, the server did you assign a static IP address?

Well I assigned it the ip address I found after typing in ipconfig, I. E., IPv4 address so yeah a static IP address! 

2 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

Well I assigned it the ip address I found after typing in ipconfig, I. E., IPv4 address so yeah a static IP address! 

Check your firewall on the server. Make sure inbound and outbound connections are set "accept" 

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Check your firewall on the server. Make sure inbound and outbound connections are set "accept" 

Hey i created my server using IIS, so i really dont know how to allow inbound/outbound connections. 

Though i have allowed all inbound as well as outbound rules in the windows firewall for the FTP Server.

I am extremally sorry for the late reply, thanks a lot for helping me and please continue to help plssss. :)

23 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

Hey i created my server using IIS, so i really dont know how to allow inbound/outbound connections. 

Though i have allowed all inbound as well as outbound rules in the windows firewall for the FTP Server.

I am extremally sorry for the late reply, thanks a lot for helping me and please continue to help plssss. :)

I know. I work with Windows server OSes. Which Server are you using? 2008 R2 2012 R2? 

34 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

I know. I work with Windows server OSes. Which Server are you using? 2008 R2 2012 R2? 

Hey,  I actually created it using Windows 10.

3 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

Hey,  I actually created it using Windows 10.

Okay. Open up "windows firewall with advanced security" Then go to inbound rules, on the right hand side which says "New rule" click on it. Now you'll get a new window with options, now select "port" and click next. Now It'll ask for a specific port. Enter 20, 21, then click next again. Once you done that, click on "allow connection" And do the say for "outgoing rule"

31 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Okay. Open up "windows firewall with advanced security" Then go to inbound rules, on the right hand side which says "New rule" click on it. Now you'll get a new window with options, now select "port" and click next. Now It'll ask for a specific port. Enter 20, 21, then click next again. Once you done that, click on "allow connection" And do the say for "outgoing rule"

I did that too, still now working ! Please help up bro!

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

I did that too, still now working !

any other solution please helppp

I did that too, still now working !

any other solution please helppp

There's nothing I can think of. Unless your ISP has blocked certain ports.

6 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

but i did setup port 21 forwarding and additionally they have the option itself to select FTP on the port forwarding page which automatically puts in 21 value in the local and remote port range. :(

3 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

hey i forgot to tell u this but in the port forwarding option , there is also a field for remote host which i left as i didnt know what to fill in thogh i filled in my IPv4 address in the local host and then i clicked apply and it applied or saved without showing any error! I hope this piece of information helps resolving the problem!

10 hours ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

Most residential ISPs block port 21 try using a 4 digit port

Ok so what port should i type on it, if i am using or wishing to acces my ftp server?

but on the router page they have the option itself to select FTP on the port forwarding page which automatically puts in 21 value in the local and remote port range.

Ok so what port should i type on it, if i am using or wishing to acces my ftp server?

but on the router page they have the option itself to select FTP on the port forwarding page which automatically puts in 21 value in the local and remote port range.

On the router try forwarding an unused 4 digit port. I use 1025 but yours can be different. When you are accessing your server you should type ftp://[external ip address]:1025

22 minutes ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

On the router try forwarding an unused 4 digit port. I use 1025 but yours can be different. When you are accessing your server you should type ftp://[external ip address]:1025

It still isnt working! :(