Haswell or Skylake?

Augusto

1. Budget & Location

I live in brazil, I want to spend 2000 Reais on memory, motherboard, cpu and case, I already have psu HD's and SSD, 

2. Aim

I want to play VR(HTC vive), so in a few months, after I buy CPU mobo memory and case, I will buy a gtx 1080 or 1070, and for monitors if I get the 1070 I will buy a 1080p 21:9, if it is the 1080 I will get a 4k monitor to play at 4k, and stream from time to time.

3. Monitors

I have a 1080p 16:9 and a 720p, but to play I will end up using only the ones I said before

5. Why are you upgrading?

I use a amd athlon II 640 and a gtx650TI now, and wanna play VR in a year, and depending on prices of the cards(if I get a good discount on the gtx 1080) I want to play on 4k(no aa)

The thing is, here in brazil skylake processors and haswell cost almost the same, but the motherboards for haswell are way cheaper and I wouldn't have to memory, since it is DD3, but I am afraid I would not have much of a space to upgrade the pc on the future if I get  a Haswell.

I am thinking about the i7 4790 for haswell, and if I stretch a bit my budget I could get a 6600k on a z170 chipset, but for now I wouldn't overclock cause I have no money to buy a good cooler for i but I would like to get a 6500t, both with 8Gb of ram.

ps: gtx 1060 havent launched here yet, and 970 are way cheaper than a rx 480, and gtx  980 ti, the cheapest, cost around the same as a 1070

edit: I forgot to mention, almost everything is refurbished, cause buying brand new things here end up costing like 1.5x the price of the refurbished, and here we have big shops that sell only refurbished components, and they have some kind of warranty for every piece.

Get Skylake if you can but Haswell is still fine.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

get a i7 6700k

an i5 will bottneck a 1080 and sometimes a 1070

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Get Skylake if you can but Haswell is still fine.

why? i isn't the 4790 better than 6600k?

Just now, Augusto said:

why? i isn't the 4790 better than 6600k?

I didn't read the whole post, derp.

Yeah get the 4790.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

3 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

get a i7 6700k

an i5 will bottneck a 1080 and sometimes a 1070

on lower resolutions, for sure, but is not like I am going to play on a 144hz monitor, but on higher resolutions, since the load on gpu is waaay higher, the bottleneck is not much of a problem anymore, even though it still is there

Just now, Augusto said:

on lower resolutions, for sure, but is not like I am going to play on a 144hz monitor, but on higher resolutions, since the load on gpu is waaay higher, the bottleneck is not much of a problem anymore, even though it still is there

I reccomend a 6700 though just saying

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, Julian5 said:

I reccomend a 6700 though just saying

I know, I know, but the cost is pretty heavy along side with the mobo, cause the cheapest DDR4 mobo is a z170 and pretty expensive it is around 60% the cost of a 6600k.

Just now, Augusto said:

I know, I know, but the cost is pretty heavy along side with the mobo, cause the cheapest DDR4 mobo is a z170 and pretty expensive it is around 60% the cost of a 6600k.

You don't need to get a z170 mobo to get ddr4... There are plenty of b150 or h170 mobos out there that are cheaper than z170 ones.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

You don't need to get a z170 mobo to get ddr4... There are plenty of b150 or h170 mobos out there that are cheaper than z170 ones.

the cheapest mobo with DDR4 here is a z170, trust me, market on Brazil sucks, mainly electronics, we have half the things launched in USA by 4x the price

8 minutes ago, Augusto said:

cause the cheapest DDR4 mobo is a z170

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

Have you considered buying from international stores and getting it shipped if options in Brazil are so limited? I'm sure Amazon/Newegg etc could ship there?

Surely you can buy anything you want in Brazil, my country is 1/40 the size/population of Brazil and I have no problem getting pretty much any computer components here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2016 at 1:48 AM, Riley-NZL said:

Have you considered buying from international stores and getting it shipped if options in Brazil are so limited? I'm sure Amazon/Newegg etc could ship there?

Surely you can buy anything you want in Brazil, my country is 1/40 the size/population of Brazil and I have no problem getting pretty much any computer components here.

taxes, every pc component is taxed on something about 60%, being this only to import, and the taxing system heres takes so long, that, if I buy now, I would have it by february, if I end up receiving.