Intel Xeon??

So I see this whole craze going on about Intel Xeon's on ebay, so I looked... HOLY CRAP THEY ARE CHEAP.

I have an i5 4690k but would purchasing one of these processors be a smart idea? even if I wasn't going to use it for my system? I mean, what could I do with a Xeon?

Build: CPU: i5 4690k; Mobo: msi Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 GPU: Sapphire R9 270 Dual X Case: LSP ULTRA ETorque mid-tower ATX PSU: LSP ULTRA 650w SSD: Crucial BX200 240gb HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb RAM: EVGA SuperSC 16 gigs DDR3 (two 8 gig sticks)

Just now, kappakali said:

what could I do with a Xeon?

Build... another system?

Obviously depends on which Xeon it is; some are cheap because they suck, others are indeed cheap, but require expensive mobos to function. But here are a couple things you could do:

1. Upgrade other systems. Say... my 2 ghz LGA 775 pentium. You know, the kind of junk you might have around. Or, the kind of junk your parents / grandparents might have
  2. HTPC for the living room / home office, if you don't have one.
  3. Use it as a 24/7 crunching machine for a distributed computing project of your choice.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

you mean a e5 2670?

It would be slower than your i5 in most uses.

The E5620, E5345, and the L5630 are also super cheap ($11 or below).

Build: CPU: i5 4690k; Mobo: msi Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 GPU: Sapphire R9 270 Dual X Case: LSP ULTRA ETorque mid-tower ATX PSU: LSP ULTRA 650w SSD: Crucial BX200 240gb HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb RAM: EVGA SuperSC 16 gigs DDR3 (two 8 gig sticks)

Just now, kappakali said:

I have dual l5640's.

There fine, not great. both are about eqv to a i7 4770k in very multithreaded tastks.

Normally not worth it due motherboard costs and the extra power the older chips use.

Don't buy a e53xx, e52xx, e54xx,e5100 cpu. There heaters.

Are sellers not getting ise to the fact that so many people want Xeons? I'm no economy major, but shouldn't at least some prices go up?

Also, what sockets are these "super cheap supermen"? I saw a bunch of LGA 775 Xeons i could use, but i wasn't so sure of compatibility.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

45 minutes ago, kappakali said:

The e5345 is older 771 and not worth it.

The other 2 are lga 1366 and the x5650 is a better choice, a dual socket motherboard will cost about $80-$100USD.

But compared to your i5 not worth it.

Get a xeon e3 1230v3 or higher (the ones with hyperthreading) it is basically an i7 without the igpu, and will work with any lga 1150 motherboard.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

4 hours ago, kappakali said:

So I see this whole craze going on about Intel Xeon's on ebay, so I looked... HOLY CRAP THEY ARE CHEAP.

I have an i5 4690k but would purchasing one of these processors be a smart idea? even if I wasn't going to use it for my system? I mean, what could I do with a Xeon?

You already have a good system I would avoid a Xeon build. The place where these Xeons build make sense are on the X58 boards where you can pick up a X5650 for $70 and overclock it to 4.3GHz and have performance about equal to a stock 5820k and multi-threaded performance equal to a 4790k at 4.5GHz (vs your X5650 at 4.3GHz). Those motherboards don't come cheap though so it mostly fits the bill for those who already have one, of course then you could argue picking up a cheap X99 Xeon but I would only recommend that as a placeholder while you save up for a 6800k... right now it's best to just save up the extra 200-300 for most people and get a 6700k Skylake.... and have something brand new. You can check my builds down in my sig.... I'm talking from experience on the subject having two LGA 1366 Xeon builds, a 4790k Build and a X99 build.