Ethernet cable is doing weird?

Gnun1x

Okay, so i was just coming back to my laptop because i was painting the WASD keys on my keyboard and doing some touch-ups, and when i came back, the ethernet cable was plugged in, but my laptop is not giving any 'signal' to the cable, the lights turn on, nothings wrong with the router, i checked the meter cupboard,  everything completely fine, i dont know what it is?

help :3

Please, follow your own posts and mention me in comments, otherwise i won't be able to help you.

Daily OS: OpenBSD -current

On your computer logo down,it should be either a logo with some yellow or red,what is it?

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

If there are any nicks on the cable, it's stapled through any place, or anything similar, the cable might be damaged. Otherwise, you might want to try crimping the end of the cable.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

5 minutes ago, Dresta said:

On your computer logo down,it should be either a logo with some yellow or red,what is it?

How do you mean?

4 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

If there are any nicks on the cable, it's stapled through any place, or anything similar, the cable might be damaged. Otherwise, you might want to try crimping the end of the cable.

would be really weird, since the cable was working 5 minutes ago

Please, follow your own posts and mention me in comments, otherwise i won't be able to help you.

What does your network icon in the lower right corner look like?

How does the NIC look in network and sharing center --> change adapter settings?

4 minutes ago, U.Ho said:

What does your network icon in the lower right corner look like?

How does the NIC look in network and sharing center --> change adapter settings?

the network icon is showing the WIFI icon, since im connected to the wifi now,

it says in the change adapter settings, that the networkcable isnt connected.

28 minutes ago, EpicKneusje said:

the network icon is showing the WIFI icon, since im connected to the wifi now,

it says in the change adapter settings, that the networkcable isnt connected.

Ok, so it says it isn't connected.

You mentioned earlier that the lights turn on. Did you mean the lights indicating the link is up?

Which end did the lights turn on?

Are the lights in your laptop's ethernet port on?

Have you tried to reboot the laptop?

Just now, U.Ho said:

Ok, so it says it isn't connected.

You mentioned earlier that the lights turn on. Did you mean the lights indicating the link is up?

Which end did the lights turn on?

Are the lights in your laptop's ethernet port on?

Have you tried to reboot the laptop?

I did try turning the laptop off and on, i indeed mean the indicating lights, they turn on at the ethernet port of the laptop, there are no lights in the wall socket for the ethernet cable to fit in.

Just now, EpicKneusje said:

I did try turning the laptop off and on, i indeed mean the indicating lights, they turn on at the ethernet port of the laptop, there are no lights in the wall socket for the ethernet cable to fit in.

Is it possible for you to check the other end of the connection? The wall socket is a passive connector that leads to either a switch or a router most likely.

Could help to determine what's wrong if you could get the light status on the port on other end of the connection. If that's your service provider's device, you might want to contact them and ask them to check the device and the port status while your cable is connected.

What you should also try is to just replace the ethernet cable. That could be the cause of the issue, even though the lights turning on but no connection doesn't sound to me like a cable fault. Even so, that is the cheapest fault to fix right after NIC driver reinstall, so that's something to try.

Last possible cause that I can think of - and you're not going to like it - is that there's something wrong with your laptop's ethernet. It's either the NIC hardware or software. If it's software, a driver reinstall might do the trick but hardware fault isn't going to get fixed unless you're very handy with a soldering iron or have some warranty left in your laptop.

So, in a nutshell:

1. change the cable if you got a spare

2. check the other endpoint of the connection for status and lights, and if you can, try another switchport / router port for your connection.

3. try to reinstall your NIC drivers

4. when you're sure the above steps didn't work, hope you got warranty on your laptop.

5. Ask other people too since I probably missed some stupid easy thing that will definitely fix your network.

9 minutes ago, U.Ho said:

-snip- 

now, the switch indeed gives me the green light, the connection is going through and i already called my ISP (Ziggo) and they say they can see me connected and stuff, i dont have a spare cable at hand right now, i need to make one eventually, so ill try that method asap. I dont know if i have any warranty on this piece of sh*t laptop, i dont know how to check that stuff and i dont even know if i have the receipt, oh well. 

im quite handy with the soldering iron, well, handy :P

i still have this broken audio jack that i still need to fix, so that can make for a very very intresting project hehe. 

i will look for some different ways to figure it out, because this is a really, really weird issue.

thanks for helping tho!

-EDIT-

Nope, i don't have any warranty, this is going to be so much fun.

Edited by EpicKneusje
Looked if i had warranty.