Which is better?

37 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Even then, those Xeons tend to find themselves on less aggressive motherboards (ie: Supermicro) which don't clock them as high "stock" as the i7's that find themselves on Asus and other motherboards that tend to be a bit more aggressive.

I moved my i7-2600 from an Asus P8H67 board to a Supermicro X9SAE-V (Panther Point C216) recently.  Even though I don't overclock, there was still a slight loss in performance on the Linux RAID calculation benchmarks (ie: what the kernel does at boot-up).

Why was the Supermicro board (which was built mainly to run Xeons, with its support of ECC) slower?  I chalk it up to design philosophy.  Supermicro designs/sells their boards for stability.  Asus, at least to some extent, clocks their boards slightly higher, even from a factory "stock" configuration to show better numbers on benchmarks. 

This is a bit off topic of the thread, but ...

WHO BENCHES MOTHERBOARDS TODAY? 

the cpu will work at the same speeds (stock, oc results may vary) on any board. 

If you are having slower boot issues then that is due to the fact that the board wasn't meant to be turned on/off constantly so it isn't a priority to have fast boot times. 

ECC support has literally no effect unless you are using ECC memory.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

If you are having slower boot issues then that is due to the fact that the board wasn't meant to be turned on/off constantly so it isn't a priority to have fast boot times. 

ECC support has literally no effect unless you are using ECC memory.

No its not a boot speed difference.  When Linux boots up, it calculates, as part of the RAID driver, the optimal algorithim for RAID. 

[    0.282572] raid6: mmxx1     5615 MB/s
[    0.339215] raid6: mmxx2     6026 MB/s
[    0.395859] raid6: sse1x1    4762 MB/s
[    0.452505] raid6: sse1x2    5790 MB/s
[    0.509150] raid6: sse2x1    9578 MB/s
[    0.565791] raid6: sse2x2   11644 MB/s

Those benchmarks fell slightly when I swapped motherboards from the Asus to the Supermicro, by approximately 0.5%.  With the same processor (i7-2600) and RAM (4x4gb DDR3-1333 modules) .  Hence, the Supermicro likely was running the i7-2600 at a slightly lower stock clock than the Asus board did.