Stupid Question - Obvious Answer

So, I've owned a gaming pc before in the past, I bought it second hand (bad idea, I know) but that has long since died and I'm

looking for a brand new one, something on the more custom side. I've been on pcpartpicker and box.co.uk (a custom builder)

and (obviously) building it myself would appear to be cheaper - atleast £150 cheaper.

One problem (probably already evident):

I've never built a pc before and I don't know if I want the responsibility

of £1200+ worth of possible damage on my hands.

So, question is, should I just suck it up, bring up some tutorials

and do it myself or wuss out and have someone else do it for me?

(Build plan here if anyone's interested):

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/lggibbo/saved/#view=kXDbt6

try to learn. I just helped a friend build his first PC and he feels great about it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, CavebobSpongeman said:

So, I've owned a gaming pc before in the past, I bought it second hand (bad idea, I know) but that has long since died and I'm

looking for a brand new one, something on the more custom side. I've been on pcpartpicker and box.co.uk (a custom builder)

and (obviously) building it myself would appear to be cheaper - atleast £150 cheaper.

Do it yourself! There are plenty of guides online to help you through the process, and you always have the forum here is something doesn't seem to work. 

Your part list looks good. Only change I'd make is to go with a 650w psu in case you wanna change that 1070 for something a little more power hungry in a few years. 

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

It's actually pretty easy to build a computer and also you will enjoy building it. My first time doing one last year, I was a bit skeptical that it will boot up perfectly fine or I would screw up the installation of the CPU cooler but it was fine, other than having both GPUs in for the first time trying to boot..which wouldn't boot. Just look at tutorials online, they help. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

jokes aside, gdrriley is right. it feels epic to turn it on the first time and the entire process is fun also. Just dont use a cougar case and dont use stock coolers. (both from experience, stock coolers are loud as hell and crappy anyway, my cougar case is already falling apart after 6 months, also watch an installation vid before buying a cooler some are a massive pain)

It's really easy. If you can build Lego, you can do this. Just don't drop an AMD CPU and bend the pins like I did. I spent an hour unbending 900 fucking pins.

Hundreds of videos on YouTube to show you how. If you want excruciating detail, try Carey Holzman.

Oh, I haven't looked at your parts list but I think Asus boards are some of the best, so if you're stuck between Asus and another brand I personally would pick Asus.

I edit my posts a lot.

Well, thanks for the feedback all! As I suspected the consensus is build so I guess I'll go for it!

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

It's actually pretty easy to build a computer and also you will enjoy building it. My first time doing one last year, I was a bit skeptical that it will boot up perfectly fine or I would screw up the installation of the CPU cooler but it was fine, other than having both GPUs in for the first time trying to boot..which wouldn't boot. Just look at tutorials online, they help. 

Or as some people say, "It's just like building with really expensive Legos." Realistically, it's not really all that hard, especially if you have a handy video guide to help you along, and for the most part the components are made so you can't plug them in the wrong way (except the CPU). 

Linus has a plethora of build guides you can follow here if you so choose: 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

3 minutes ago, CavebobSpongeman said:

Well, thanks for the feedback all! As I suspected the consensus is build so I guess I'll go for it!

If you are afraid of sparking it, just get a static wrist band and you will be fine.

32 minutes ago, CavebobSpongeman said:

As long as you stick to the "if you have to force it, you're doing it wrong" rule, then you can break anything.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE