Need Help With New Build List!

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
2 minutes ago, Meestagibbon said:

Okay, that's my first plan then, but next question, would it be smarter to move to the newest platform, with DDR4 and M.2 and such, or get a 4790k instead? I wont be using m.2 any time soon and I honestly am happy with a Samsung 850 evo at best.

If it was me I would just buy a new graphics card first off (And psu) and see how it performs. Something like a GTX 1060 would be fine for 1080p resolution, or a GTX 1070 if you want to push the boat out. If you are still not happy then you can look at changing the cpu. An i7 6700K isn't a massive upgrade though over the Xeon. 

So my current pc is ok for mild gaming but I'd prefer to upgrade it.
My budget is roughly 900 USD

What the system will be used for is primarily gaming, mostly CS:GO but some other single player games slightly more intensive in graphics. Also some mild video editing, I make a lot of little CS edits and I also make the occasional CS video but waiting 30 minutes for a little video to render at high quality can be quite annoying.
WHAT DOESN'T NEED TO BE INCLUDED IN THIS LIST: Peripherals, Drives, Case, and PSU. I just got a carbide air 540 and my PSU is fine. Monitor either, I think that's a peripheral but just to be clear.

Just to help look for you, what's the wattage on the PSU and if you are wanting to upgrade we need to know what is in it currently. Post some specs please.

Current specs:
Motherboard : MSI B85M-G43

CPU: Xeon e3-1231v3

ram: 8gb ddr3 1333

GPU: GTX 760

PSU: Rocketfish 500 watt, 80 plus certified but I dont remember which certification.
Stock cooler.
ALSO dont worry about drives, I forgot those too!

Rocketfish? I'm pretty sure your PSU isn't fine(it belongs in the tier 5 list, must avoid category), don't reuse it on your new build.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($77.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($49.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($434.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $934.91

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

2 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Rocketfish? I'm pretty sure your PSU isn't fine(it belongs in the tier 5 list, must avoid category), don't reuse it on your new build.

PCPartPicker part list

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($77.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($434.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.98 @ Newegg) 

Not much point going from a Xeon E3-1231 V3 to an i7 6700.

1 minute ago, antisleep said:

PCPartPicker part list

Good to know, I've had it for over 5 years with no issues but I wont risk the time to come lol. Question though, according to http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K the 6600k isn't that much lesser than the 6700k and the 6600k is cheaper, with overclock ability. Would it be wiser to get the 6600k and an AIO? or keep my current motherboard and get a 4790k?

Forgot to ask.

If you're on a 1080p monitor then the GTX 1070 is overkill, save money and go for a 1060 instead.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

3 minutes ago, Meestagibbon said:

Good to know, I've had it for over 5 years with no issues but I wont risk the time to come lol. Question though, according to http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K the 6600k isn't that much lesser than the 6700k and the 6600k is cheaper, with overclock ability. Would it be wiser to get the 6600k and an AIO? or keep my current motherboard and get a 4790k?

The cpu that you currently have is on par with an i7. If you go for an i5 then you are taking a step backwards.

You might just need an updated GPU (And psu of course).

2 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The cpu that you currently have is on par with an i7. If you go for an i5 then you are taking a step backwards.

Yes I understand that, if I were to overclock the i5 is it still a downgrade? 

6 minutes ago, Meestagibbon said:

The i5 doesn't have hyperthreading so yeah it is a downgrade in that respect. I would just buy a better gpu first and try rendering using the gpu as it is faster, and maybe change the Ram for a 16GB Kit (Or add another 2 x 4GB).

5 minutes ago, Meestagibbon said:

Yes, the i5 will bottleneck in 144hz gaming with a gtx 1070. Your xeon wont do that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

The i5 doesn't have hyperthreading so yeah it is a downgrade in that respect. I would just buy a better gpu first and try rendering using the gpu as it is faster.

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

Yes, the i5 will bottleneck in 144hz gaming with a gtx 1070. Your xeon wont do that.

Okay, that's my first plan then, but next question, would it be smarter to move to the newest platform, with DDR4 and M.2 and such, or get a 4790k instead? I wont be using m.2 any time soon and I honestly am happy with a Samsung 850 evo at best.

2 minutes ago, Meestagibbon said:

If it was me I would just buy a new graphics card first off (And psu) and see how it performs. Something like a GTX 1060 would be fine for 1080p resolution, or a GTX 1070 if you want to push the boat out. If you are still not happy then you can look at changing the cpu. An i7 6700K isn't a massive upgrade though over the Xeon. 

6 minutes ago, Meestagibbon said:

I'd just invest in a better gpu,psu and/or ram imo. Everything else is fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

I'd just invest in a better gpu,psu and/or ram imo. Everything else is fine.

Is a 1060 going to get me 1080p 60fps at ultra in most games? I only really care about hitting 144+ fps in fps games

3 minutes ago, Meestagibbon said:

Is a 1060 going to get me 1080p 60fps at ultra in most games? I only really care about hitting 144+ fps in fps games

Here is a review of the MSI GTX 1060 which shows quite a few games at 1080p (And other resolutions). The GTX 1070 is also in the list.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1060_Gaming_X/

5 minutes ago, Meestagibbon said:

Should be fine for 1080p ultra.