Computer boots, but won't post.

DuRkArcher

So, I recently switched my computer down to a micro-tax board and case. After getting everything plugged and finally being able to turn on my new build, I turned it on. All the fan lights turned on and started spinning and my gpu fans started spinning as well. I had an HDMI cord running from my computer to my monitor and after waiting a good 10 minutes and multiple reboots later my computer would not post to the monitor. Does anyone know why this is happening?

MB: 760MA-P34FX micro-atx MSI

ram: 16gb Kingston fury blue

GPU: R9 270x 2gb Sapphire

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Octo-core.

3 minutes ago, vgfan1995 said:

Have you tried to reseat the RAM? The RAM is not seated properly is one of the biggest reasons why computers enter boot loops.

Okay I will try that

If you have an attachable beeper for the motherboard, such as one like this, plug it in to the proper header (hopefully marked on your motherboard or in a manual for it) and check for beep codes. If you get a single beep, you're probably good, otherwise consult the online beep codes for your motherboard to see what might be the issue.

Otherwise, make sure your monitor is on the correct input (HDMI) and that the cord is seated properly in the monitor and GPU HDMI ports.

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

3 minutes ago, DuRkArcher said:

Okay I will try that

That didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

8 minutes ago, vgfan1995 said:

Have you tried to reseat the RAM? The RAM is not seated properly is one of the biggest reasons why computers enter boot loops.

That didn't work

Please give a more detailed description. If you just list the parts, we will have no diagnostic information about the cause.

Please give me a detailed list of your build, and explain what you hear or see when your pc fails to post.

Do you hear beeping? Do you see an error, or blue screen? You may want to check your cables and see if everything is plugged in.

Try rebuilding your rig, by using the process of elimination. Reseat your ram into the 2nd and 4th slot on your board. (if your mobo only has 2 ram slots, 1st and 2nd. or just 1st if you have one stick) Boot. If the problem is still there, try another component. Don't mess with your CPU or Heatsink, unless you have some thermal paste.

I wouldnt doubt that the problem is just a cable that isnt fully seated. Unplug your cables and make sure they snap in when you reseat them. 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.5GHz Corsair H100i v2 | Asus Z170-A | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO 1TB + 850 EVO 250GB + Seagate 1TB | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+G | Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (PcPartPicker)

By the way, the POST is before the boot.

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.5GHz Corsair H100i v2 | Asus Z170-A | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO 1TB + 850 EVO 250GB + Seagate 1TB | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+G | Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (PcPartPicker)

hook the monitor to the motherboard. boot now?

and if you just swapped in the HD without reformatting ...................

Check if the RAM is working. I recently had a issue similar to this!

BUILD:

CPU: i7-13700K| Motherboard: ASUS Z790 Prime - CSM | RAM: 16GB x 2 (Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600Mhz)

GPU: Nvidia 3070 Founder Edition | Case: NZXT Flow H7 | PSU: CoolerMaster 100W

You also want to make sure that you didn't kill any component while building the computer (Use the process of elimination while diagnosing the problem) due to ESD. As other guys have commented, please give us more symptoms about your problem, so we can get a better picture about it.

A Power-On Self Test is a diagnostic tool that is ran right when you power on your system. The test will basically ask your components if they are getting ample power, ample cooling, and not having errors, etc. If your system fails this test, there is an issue with your system configuration. This can be fixed by reading what the blue/black screen says. (once, my POST just said "Please plug in your Graphics Card." lol!) when my system had a problem. Damn, I cant get enough GTX 1070.

anyways, If you reseated your RAM, you should next check your GPU. Remove it from the PCI-E x16 slot, and reseat it. Plug in VGA power, and power on.

If you still fail the post, try the HDD/SSD. Try it on another computer or unplug it. (generally you shouldn't have issues with storage...) then power on.

If this also fails, you may have a faulty CPU or MOBO. Generally you just need to reseat the CPU, but before this make sure to purchase some thermal paste.

When removing the heat sink, you will have residual thermal paste on your CPU dye and Heat sink. Use rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter to remove it.

Open your CPU arms, and remove and reseat your CPU. re apply paste (Just a pea sized dot, or a maggot!), apply the heat sink. Screw it in, and hope.

If you bricked you mobo, just curse your self off and scream in a pillow. This will ease the pain. #RMA 

Desktop: