PSU For Server

Mr. Tsao

Before you criticize the parts I'm using for this build, a friend of mine and myself are attempting to build a ghetto server using eBay parts (mainly for fun). What power supply would be needed for an Intel S5000PSL and two Xeon E5420's. Thanks

Id highly suggest you just get a i3. It will be cheaper and faster. 

Watts is around 600w. My server will pull 460w max with dual e5345 and a quadro 5000 maxed out.

Any psu will work. You will probably need a seprate power adapter

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id highly suggest you just get a i3. It will be cheaper and faster. 

Watts is around 600w. My server will pull 460w max with dual e5345 and a quadro 5000 maxed out.

Any psu will work. You will probably need a seprate power adapter

Thanks. The reason I went with the xeons is because I can get them for $8 a pop on eBay and I don't really care about performance for this build.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5420-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/m11278vs3511

just dropping this in here (mostly for future reference) that socket 771 xeons are nothing more than a toy anymore :P

on topic: they're 80 watt tdp processors, i'd say a 400 watt unit should be plenty for whatever else you dunk in there. (or 500 if you want to for some reason pair it up with a beefy gpu xD)

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5420-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/m11278vs3511

just dropping this in here (mostly for future reference) that socket 771 xeons are nothing more than a toy anymore :P

on topic: they're 80 watt tdp processors, i'd say a 400 watt unit should be plenty for whatever else you dunk in there. (or 500 if you want to for some reason pair it up with a beefy gpu xD)

To be fair, they actually would fare pretty well for a web browsing PC looking at the single threaded performance.

8 hours ago, Mr. Tsao said:

Before you criticize the parts I'm using for this build, a friend of mine and myself are attempting to build a ghetto server using eBay parts (mainly for fun). What power supply would be needed for an Intel S5000PSL and two Xeon E5420's. Thanks

A decent 500W would do the job. Can you afford an EVGA 550GS?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||