suggestions for reducing computer eye strain

Legokill101

I use my laptop a lot for school and at home for homework and my eyes are often very tired when i get home from having used it for so long at school, i already have a external display its a 20in 1600x900 one but i had several other ideas for reducing my eye strain and was hopping i can get some others

getting a 27inch monitor and down scaling the resolution to make text and icons nice and large (ps the one i found is a great deal link as its a 27inch 1080p ips for 250 http://www.microcenter.com/product/410039/27EA33V_27_Slim_LED_IPS_Monitor)

getting bias lighting

and yes i have considered computer glasses but im leaning towards not because i have prescription eyeglasses already and as a result a) they would only be used at home because i need my regular glasses for school and B ) since my prescription is still changing i'm not sure how good of a investment it is relive to the previously listed ideas

also the problem is at least when im at home that won't make a difference because i already use artifial light all the time anyway because my windows are possitioned really bad in realation to my desk and i dont have anywere to move it

Use a screen filter. It filters out some of the harmful radiation emitted by monitors. I remember they used to have them for CRTs but Im sure you can find some for flat panels. Also, sit further away from your screen and make sure that your room is always well lit when its on. Using the computer with the lights off shreds your eyes believe it or not

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

but are they really helpful with flat pannels becuase from my understand for lcds its from icon size and difrence in brightness 

use worm lighting on the monitor and surrounding lights. red/orange tint instead of blue

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

Maybe Gunnars eye wear? Try f.lux first though.

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

Here is what I did:

get dark themes for all your websites, the addon is called stylish, I know it works on firefox and chrome, not sure about the others.

I got a 120hz monitor, the smoothness of motion really helps reduce eyestrain especially in games, but also just moving the mouse around on the desktop

NEVER use the PC in a dark room, always have ambient lighting.

Don't force a low res to make things bigger, windows has a built in scaler, you can find it here: 

7gfs.png

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

thanks for the sugetiions i also want to know what you guys think of my current plan?

I agree, flu.x is a good option. A good friend of mine made it. I was using it last night and turned it off, and the huge amount of vibrant colors triggered eye strain like no other.

Just try to work in a darker room with lower brightness on your monitor and try to calibrate your display to the color temperature of your ambient surroundings. ( in dark rooms is usually around 5000 K ). Also lower resolution won't help, it will make your problem worse, the higher the pixel density the sharper the image is,blurry images also strain your eyes. 

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."