First boot ever - No monitor connection

Go to solution Solved by IslandStone,

Si I figured my mistake, and everything worked out..! I simply forgot to connect the PSU with the 8 pin 12V connector.. I figured the day after, when some more investigation was done (and manuals read :D )... 

So yeah, pretty dumb mistake, glad it all worked out..! Thank you all for the replies and useful tips! ^_^ 

On 29. juli 2016 at 3:23 PM, Flobberknock said:

I have seen cheap adapters online that simply connect the pins over and actually make no attempt to convert the signal, therefore not working at all. I believe their business model is 'some people will be too lazy to return it'. Most VGA to HDMI adapters are quite bulky and relatively expensive (I'm talking £20-£30 rather than hundreds) so if you picked one up for like £3 then it's most likely you got one that doesn't actually do anything

Yeah I was worried about this... the adapter i got actually was quite cheap.. (about 7-8 USD) glad it turned out to be working :) 

Went home in a rush to try and get the Windows 10 free update from my Windows XP license that I bought for my old computer. As i connected motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse, i turned the "Power ON" button on the motherboard. That worked all fine, the it started up, but there was no signal/connection to the monitor... So... I've got a VGA cable from the monitor connected to a HDMI to VGA adapter, which goes into the HDMI-out on the back of the motherboard. This might not be supposed to work anyway? Or have I missed something important? Pretty green on this..

Motherboard is Asus Deluxe Z170

As far as I can tell your best bet to figuring out your problem would be to plug in mobo speaker if you can get one and then check if it's signaling anything after you power on your rig. Other than that with the amount of information you provided I can only advise you to check if all the connectors are plugged in correctly.

You should have bought cheap windows 7 licenses from ebay or keyseller sites like G2a, kinguin...

You can only upgrade with windows 7/8

7 hours ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

do you have a gpu you can use to see if that works?

No, currently have no GPU to se if it works.. :/ 

7 hours ago, Verrierr said:

Something important you missed is windows XP didn't get free upgrade to windows 10 and neither did vista. Windows 7 and above did.

Hah, well, in that case I feel better for being too slow to make it in time.. at least i would have had to get Windows 7 at first.. oh well :D 

6 hours ago, Verrierr said:

As far as I can tell your best bet to figuring out your problem would be to plug in mobo speaker if you can get one and then check if it's signaling anything after you power on your rig. Other than that with the amount of information you provided I can only advise you to check if all the connectors are plugged in correctly.

If i plugin a speaker, would it make any sounds as i power up the Motherboard? o.O 

5 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

You should have bought cheap windows 7 licenses from ebay or keyseller sites like G2a, kinguin...

You can only upgrade with windows 7/8

I see... Oh well too late now anyway.. But that I should have done, yes xD 

So... I've read somewhere that VGA is analog and HDMI is digital... could that mean It won't work with this cheap adapter thing i bought? :P (I'm going to test HDMI to TV later since i currently don't have a PC monitor of later date than 2007..)

7 hours ago, IslandStone said:

If i plugin a speaker, would it make any sounds as i power up the Motherboard? o.O 

I didn't mean outside speakers but that little thing you plug in in the internal headers section of your mobo. There are pins labelled "speaker" there, look it up, or a visit a local computer store, they should have stuff like that (it's fairly cheap).

7 hours ago, IslandStone said:

So... I've read somewhere that VGA is analog and HDMI is digital... could that mean It won't work with this cheap adapter thing i bought? :P (I'm going to test HDMI to TV later since i currently don't have a PC monitor of later date than 2007..)

VGA is analog and HDMI is digital but if you got hdmi to vga adapter, then it simply translates digital signal into analog one. The existence of that part would make no sense if it couldn't do that.

8 hours ago, IslandStone said:

5 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

I didn't mean outside speakers but that little thing you plug in in the internal headers section of your mobo. There are pins labelled "speaker" there, look it up, or a visit a local computer store, they should have stuff like that (it's fairly cheap).

VGA is analog and HDMI is digital but if you got hdmi to vga adapter, then it simply translates digital signal into analog one. The existence of that part would make no sense if it couldn't do that.

I have seen cheap adapters online that simply connect the pins over and actually make no attempt to convert the signal, therefore not working at all. I believe their business model is 'some people will be too lazy to return it'. Most VGA to HDMI adapters are quite bulky and relatively expensive (I'm talking £20-£30 rather than hundreds) so if you picked one up for like £3 then it's most likely you got one that doesn't actually do anything

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

1 hour ago, Flobberknock said:

If what you're saying is true then I'm pretty sure that's illegal, and if you happened to see such a thing you should report it as a probable crime. As far as prices go, I have to agree, if somebody bought HDMI to VGA adapter for 3£ then that person was definitely scammed, but I haven't noticed any such offer when I googled for it just now.

27 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

If what you're saying is true then I'm pretty sure that's illegal, and if you happened to see such a thing you should report it as a probable crime. As far as prices go, I have to agree, if somebody bought HDMI to VGA adapter for 3£ then that person was definitely scammed, but I haven't noticed any such offer when I googled for it just now.

They're all over eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8M-6FT-HDMI-To-VGA-Cable-Video-Adapter-For-HDTV-PC-Laptop-/151286591207?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 

They do state in the description that it doesn't convert the signal, which is probably how they get around it being illegal. 

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

You could try resetting the BIOS. Another possibility is that your VGA cable just doesn't work with your HDMI adapter or, since the motherboard appears to have HDMI 2, maybe the motherboard is just not compatible with VGA.

Try to borrow a basic graphics card with a VGA output to see if that works.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Si I figured my mistake, and everything worked out..! I simply forgot to connect the PSU with the 8 pin 12V connector.. I figured the day after, when some more investigation was done (and manuals read :D )... 

So yeah, pretty dumb mistake, glad it all worked out..! Thank you all for the replies and useful tips! ^_^ 

On 29. juli 2016 at 3:23 PM, Flobberknock said:

Yeah I was worried about this... the adapter i got actually was quite cheap.. (about 7-8 USD) glad it turned out to be working :)