High Ram Usage On Stand-By

Go to solution Solved by smokewolf,
2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

just to confirm it's disabled, can you tell me what's in the registry key "start" here;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\wuauserv

0x00000003 (3) I never tried Registries as I was scared I'll screw up If you can guide me It'd be awesome

I've had this problem for a while, still dont know how to fix it. I tried everything they said, nothing worked.

I didn't really care at first when I saw svchost.exe using about 1.5 gigs of ram but later on when it went up to 2.2GB I had to do something about it. I tried many different things but none of them worked. I had Windows Update disabled for a few months yet I still see the wuauserv running on svchost, I disabled it from anywhere I can on the computer but it seems I just can't get rid of it. When I stop wuauserv using Procexp it stops, but next time I reboot the computer it comes back of course. I also tried a few things with BITS, nothing seem to have effected it. Is there possibly a way to get rid of wuauserv permanently? I tried Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus scans, all clear.

Im sorry, In the picture everything is in Turkish but It should do the job, If you need an English one please just tell me. I need help

Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

Asus M5A78L-MX3

8Gigs of Kingston idfk

Amd FX6300BE

ayylmao.JPG

A virus might be hiding inside svchost. exe run malwarebytes anti malware.if that finds nothing try hitman pro and then malwarebytes anti root kit. 

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

Wuauserv is Windows Update. Try disabling automatic updates in the control panel.

1 minute ago, FanBlade said:

A virus might be hiding inside svchost. exe run malwarebytes anti malware.if that finds nothing try hitman pro and then malwarebytes anti root kit. 

I tried HitmanPro and Malware Bytes. Not the anti Root tho Ill take a look at that thanks

1 minute ago, spidsepttk said:

Wuauserv is Windows Update. Try disabling automatic updates in the control panel.

I know, I disabled it from the control panel and startup and services and where ever I can't think of right now.

Just now, smokewolf said:

I know, I disabled it from the control panel and startup and services and where ever I can't think of right now.

I can't think of it being anything other than some kind of malware by now. Keep on scanning.

9 minutes ago, smokewolf said:

just to confirm it's disabled, can you tell me what's in the registry key "start" here;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

0x00000003 (3) I never tried Registries as I was scared I'll screw up If you can guide me It'd be awesome

3 means it's set as manual, it's NOT disabled and will continue running if it see fit to do so.

To disable it double click on the "start" entry and change it to 4 then restart the computer.

17 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

3 means it's set as manual, it's NOT disabled and will continue running if it see fit to do so.

To disable it double click on the "start" entry and change it to 4 then restart the computer.

That solved it finally, I thank you so much you can't even believe... Can't believe someone suggested something as simple as this before, Have a good day. Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, smokewolf said:

That solved it finally, I thank you so much you can't even believe... Can't believe someone suggested something as simple as this before, Have a good day. Thanks again.

no problem, that's my actual job and strangely enough, when I have nothing to do at work, I come here to see if I can help! xD

If you ever need to restart Windows Update, you only need to go back the the same registry key and change it to 2 (automatic start) ;)

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

no problem, that's my actual job and strangely enough, when I have nothing to do at work, I come here to see if I can help! xD

If you ever need to restart Windows Update, you only need to go back the the same registry key and change it to 2 (automatic start) ;)

Yup thank you I don't think I'll need it tho Thanks to you this is over now.

19 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Unfortunately, this morning I started the computer again, to see that svchost is still taking up about 2GB of ram,

I checked the registry again to see if it was at (4) but it was back at (3), I don't know why it reseted like that, I rebooted once yesterday, and this did not happen. Any ideas?

4 hours ago, smokewolf said:

Unfortunately, this morning I started the computer again, to see that svchost is still taking up about 2GB of ram,

I checked the registry again to see if it was at (4) but it was back at (3), I don't know why it reseted like that, I rebooted once yesterday, and this did not happen. Any ideas?

sorry, saw you post but forgot about it, let me gather the info on how to fix it ... brb

4 hours ago, smokewolf said:

ok, new steps;

1. press Windows key + R;
  2. In the "Run" popup type "services.msc" without the quotes;
  3. In the services, find "Windows Updates" and double click on it;
  4. In the window click "stop" then change the startup type to "disable" and click ok;
  5. Find the service called "Background Intelligent Transfer" and double click on it;
  6. Do the same thing as step 4;
  7. Close the services window;
  8. Go into Control Panel;
  9. Under "Security" find and open "Action Center" (click for linked image);
  10. On the left side of the Center Action, click on "Change Action Center Settings";
  11. Make sure the check box is unselected for "Windows Update" (opposite of this linked image);
  12. reboot

I hope that'll fix it for good this time!

Edited by wkdpaul
added images

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

ok, new steps;

4. In the window click "stop" then change the startup type to "disable" and click ok;
  5. Find the service called "Background Intelligent Transfer" and double click on it;
  9. Under "Security" find and open "Action Center";
  10. On the left side of the Center Action, click on "Change Action Center Settings";
  11. Make sure the check box is unselected for "Windows Update";
  12. reboot

I had windows update disabled from services.msc but not BITS and not from the control panel either hopefllu that solves it I'm rebooting now.

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

ok, new steps;

11. Make sure the check box is unselected for "Windows Update" (opposite of this linked image);
  12. reboot

That solved it for me for now thanks a lot. If it happens again, Ill tell you but I'm sure it wont. Regards

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

ok, new steps;

12. reboot

hey man guess what, yes its back, I think doing those just delays the process but oh well  I think I can just do it everytime I boot the pc up not a biggie...

41 minutes ago, smokewolf said:

hey man guess what, yes its back, I think doing those just delays the process but oh well  I think I can just do it everytime I boot the pc up not a biggie...

Ok, it's my lunch right now, let me get back to my PC and I'll get a solution ready

13 minutes ago, smokewolf said:

Sorry, was busy when I came back from lunch!

You probably have something that has Windows Update marked as a dependency. To really troubleshoot this it might get tricky and complicated ... le me know if you want to go down the rabbit hole on this one! xD

In the meantime, create a txt file and name it something like; "WindowsUpdateDisable.bat"

then open the file with notepad and paste the following inside;

@echo off
sc stop wuauserv
sc config wuauserv start= disabled
sc stop bits
sc config bits start= disabled

Save it and then move it into the "startup" folder here:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

This will make this script run at every boot AND the script will stop those services

22 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Sorry, was busy when I came back from lunch!

You probably have something that has Windows Update marked as a dependency. To really troubleshoot this it might get tricky and complicated ... le me know if you want to go down the rabbit hole on this one! xD

In the meantime, create a txt file and name it something like; "WindowsUpdateDisable.bat"

then open the file with notepad and paste the following inside;

@echo off
sc stop wuauserv
sc config wuauserv start= disabled
sc stop bits
sc config bits start= disabled

Save it and then move it into the "startup" folder here:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

This will make this script run at every boot AND the script will stop those services

I did it and it seems to be working for now, I will be upgrading to windows 10 today, maybe It can help me with that...