Zotac AMP Extreme 1080 Vs Asus Strix O8G 1080

Catalonia

Which is better?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which Video Card is better?

• Zotac AMP Extreme 1080
    • Asus Strix O8G 1080 OC

I'm considering either of this two cards, (here were I live the Zotac is on stock, for the asus I have to wait about two weeks, but I'm not in a hurry)

My MB is an Asus Rampage V Edition 10, and I happen to like quite a lot the ROG logo and the design of the Strix.  The Zotac is huge but I won't have any problem since I have the Corsair 780T case. I don't have much information about Zotac, (never had one) so I don't know how would it stand against the Strix, especially about the noise. The Strix have the 0db fans, and for me is quite important to have a silent system if I'm not gaming (which I believe the zotac also have the fans off if not playing but I couldn't confirm) can anybody confirm?

Thanks!

i prefer ZOTAC over Asus, the Strix 1080 looks pretty sweet but im voting ZOTAC, they had the fastest 980TI(IIRC) and i like how it looks but either one is fine, the silent fan thing is also something you can just set up in something like MSI Afterburner with a custom fan curve

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@don_svetlio Had allot of experience with Asus,let him tell you

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

Just now, Dresta said:

@don_svetlio Had allot of experience with Asus,let him tell you

Their warranty sucks. End of story.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i prefer ZOTAC over Asus, the Strix 1080 looks pretty sweet but im voting ZOTAC, they had the fastest 980TI(IIRC) and i like how it looks but either one is fine, the silent fan thing is also something you can just set up in something like MSI Afterburner with a custom fan curve

Thanks!

But do you know if the fans are off outside games in the Zotac like in the Strix?

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Zotac is offering 5 years warranty here in Europe, which is also a good sign of how do they trust their cards. 

Just now, Catalonia said:

Zotac is offering 5 years warranty here in Europe, which is also a good sign of how do they trust their cards. 

Get the Zotac one then

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Yea,that's why i called you,you know Asus good enough :) 

1 minute ago, Catalonia said:

Thanks!

But do you know if the fans are off outside games in the Zotac like in the Strix?

Anything above 50% on the Asus fans is like a airplane

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

My Motivation

1 minute ago, Dresta said:

Yea,that's why i called you,you know Asus good enough :) 

Anything above 50% on the Asus fans is like a airplane

Asus be like BRUM BRUM

Just now, SmartGamer278 said:

which case do u have??

Corsair 780T

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Asus be like BRUM BRUM

When your home alone and hear Asus running

giphy (1).gif

My Motivation

6 minutes ago, Catalonia said:

Thanks!

i dont KNOW but you can just have a fan curve that dosent turn on the fanns untill its above a certaing amount of load/temperature so you could just do it yourself :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Asus GPUs are so great that they die so fast that you will always be up to date with the new GPUs. Kappa..

I have "only" had two 780ti's from them and both lasted under 9 months, great job asus great job, the funny part is that two of my friends also has asus GPUs and they both died just after the were 1 year old and they did not OC them at all and they both used high quality PSUs. Asus's support is like talking to a wall.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Jay did a video about the AMP! Extreme and if I'm not mistaken, the cooler is so good that under full load, the fan turns on and cool it down so good that it turn back off for a moment and start turning again when it reaches certain temp limit.

Go watch Jay's vid.

For the 1080 now, you just have to consider the cooling and aesthetics.

Aesthetics is subjective but the cooling Zotac definitely wins on that card.

30 minutes ago, SmartGamer278 said:

which psu do u have??/

Corsair AX1500i

5 minutes ago, Catalonia said:

Corsair AX1500i

it does not really get better than that :) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

it does not really get better than that :) 

I'm building a hell of a machine ;)

Asus Rampage V Edition 10

Intel 6850k Broadwell-e

Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum 4x8GB 

3.00MHz

Corsair AX1500i

Corsair 780T

Samsung SSD 950 Pro 512GB M.2 PCIe

Logitech G900

Corsair K70

Asus PG279Q 165Hz G-sync 

And, the Zotac or the Strix, still deciding! 

;-)

16 minutes ago, Catalonia said:

I'm building a hell of a machine ;)

Asus Rampage V Edition 10

Intel 6850k Broadwell-e

Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum 4x8GB 

3.00MHz

Corsair AX1500i

Corsair 780T

Samsung SSD 950 Pro 512GB M.2 PCIe

Logitech G900

Corsair K70

Asus PG279Q 165Hz G-sync 

And, the Zotac or the Strix, still deciding! 

;-)

Those specs are pretty good and pretty close to what I will put in my next PC

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Those specs are pretty good and pretty close to what I will put in my next PC

Really? 

I've already ordered everything except the GPU. And I still don't have enough info to make a choice. 

What is your config? 

21 minutes ago, Catalonia said:

Really? 

I've already ordered everything except the GPU. And I still don't have enough info to make a choice. 

What is your config? 

well it is still in the works, because far from all the parts are out yet :D 

It will look something like this:

Case: Raijintek styx (modded)

PSU: Silverstone ST85F-PT

Ram: 32gb of DDR4 2800MHz and up

CPU: 6850k or zen (dunno yet)

GPU: 2x 1080ti (if those are a thing) or 2x new fury

Harddrive: 1tb normal sata ssd and 250-500gb m.2

Screen: QHD Ultrawide HDR 120Hz (when they come out :D)

CPU cooler: Dark rock pro 3

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

well it is still in the works, because far from all the parts are out yet :D 

It will look something like this:

Case: Raijintek styx (modded)

PSU: Silverstone ST85F-PT

Ram: 32gb of DDR4 2800MHz and up

CPU: 6850k or zen (dunno yet)

GPU: 2x 1080ti (if those are a thing) or 2x new fury

Harddrive: 1tb normal sata ssd and 250-500gb m.2

Screen: QHD Ultrawide HDR 120Hz (when they come out :D)

CPU cooler: Dark rock pro 3

Nice RIG! 

I'll show pictures of mine once builded, (hopefully next week)

3 hours ago, demonaii said:

I would rather go with ASUS because of cooling.

Why? Is quieter?